Confirmed with Link: Chris Wideman contract extension - 2 Years/ $1.6 Million

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I really think Wideman has another level. Just needs NHL experience to get there.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I am going to say it. No one respects or wants the think about a position conversion. Wideman has some really serious offensive skills.

Gotta say it. The Sens signed him for 2 years hoping he is a RD. But also because he is so good offensively. Guy has shot and passing ability. Huge IQ and massive instincts. I think a two year deal is partly based on that. Rarely are players forward/D floats. Rarely do you consider it. Wideman is needed at RD. But he also is mega offensively skilled. 2 year deal says committment regardless.

I am not saying he will be a forward. He probably won't.

But like Boro.., whose leadership and physical play won a contract before he was a regular. Wideman's skill has done it for him.

Wideman's raw offensive skill is worth a gamble at $800K. If he ends up playing some forward. Colour me not surprised.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Gudas is twice the defenceman Boro will ever be.

Philly has done a lot of work with him. He'll bever be a really good defenceman, but he's been quietly very decent this year.

... Gudas does take some dumb-*** penalties though, that much is dead-on accurate. Still, I'd take Gudas over Boro 106 times out of 100.

Disagree. Strongly, many people around here seemed to have jumped on the hate Boro train but for a 6th D man he is fine. Gudas is most definitely worse. Tampa gave him away for nothing. Boro isnt going to knock your socks off with amazing puck skills but he almost always makes the safe responsible play Gudas does not he makes bone head moves ala Cowen.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Disagree. Strongly, many people around here seemed to have jumped on the hate Boro train but for a 6th D man he is fine. Gudas is most definitely worse. Tampa gave him away for nothing. Boro isnt going to knock your socks off with amazing puck skills but he almost always makes the safe responsible play Gudas does not he makes bone head moves ala Cowen.

I agree with you. :nod:

Fair Deal :) like him as a 3pairing Guy

Agreed. I think Wideman has the potential to be a Tory Krug type player. I think by this time next yr Wideman should have more ice time & with that more pts. I think the Wideman/Boro tandem will turn into a pretty decent 3rd pairing, a defensive stalwart with an offensive defenceman should work well for Ottawa.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

My only takeaway from this post is that you haven't watched any Flyers games or highlights this season.

Relative to how bad he used to be, Gudas has been quite good (outside of a few very questionable hits that I don't like to see).

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Dont ,see any downside to this signing...however BM did it so i guess it will be a failure .....iam i doing this right :laugh:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yeah I think wideman could get to another level too. Will probably feel more comfortable and relaxed to play his own game now that he's signed. If DC lets him.

HispanicAtTheDisco

Oct 17, 2014
Ottawa, Ont.
Really like this deal, once Ceci gets signed up we will six guys commited for the next two years. This means Chabot is pretty much guaranteed to be in the minors for the 17/18 season.

Phaneuf 7,000,000
Karlsson 6,500,000
Methot 4,900,000
Borowiecki 1,100,000
Wideman 800,000
Total: 20,300,000

I see us signing Claesson to be the 7th guy at 700,000ish and Ceci to a two year bridge worth roughly 2,500,000. That take our total to 23,500,000.

I think this signing means Wiercioch is 100% gone by the deadline, probably after the Calgary game for depth reasons.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He's already noticeably better than earlier in the season (normal for a rookie). I don't see the bad decisions he was making then. He's also trying a few more things offensively. I wouldn't mind him getting some minutes on the PP, but it's hard with Karlsson and Ceci ahead of him on the depth chart.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Optics. Like Phillips, Boro had to sacrifice his reputation for the good of the team and play some of the toughest minutes possible on several occasions. The result is that he was overwhelmed and since many fans need scapegoats... Boro had a big target on his back. And this just became bigger lately as Greening and Cowen are now gone (and Michalek to a lesser extent). Boro, Neil and Chiasson are now the public ennemies. Whatever they do is bad, even when they do good things, excuses will be made to diminish what they do. Luckily for Smith he has been scoring so he has a reprieve. I know it's ridiculous but looks like some fans are very emo and need those virtual punching bags to appease their existential frustrations. That's the only explication I found

EDIT : Just to be sure, my comment has nothing to do with Bonk's post or even Gudas, but more with the general scapegoating around here that I find particularly annoying. I'd love for people to tell me with a straight eye that there is no bias with the scapegoats who are put under a microscope of hate/over-scrutiny...

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
He's already noticeably better than earlier in the season (normal for a rookie). I don't see the bad decisions he was making then. He's also trying a few more things offensively. I wouldn't mind him getting some minutes on the PP, but it's hard with Karlsson and Ceci ahead of him on the depth chart.
Need to build a second unit ,maybe when Macrther returns we might see one

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Optics. Like Phillips, Boro had to sacrifice his reputation for the good of the team and play some of the toughest minutes possible on several occasions. The result is that he was overwhelmed and since many fans need scapegoats... Boro had a big target on his back. And this just became bigger lately as Greening and Cowen are now gone (and Michalek to a lesser extent). Boro, Neil and Chiasson are now the public ennemies. Whatever they do is bad, even when they do good things, excuses will be made to diminish what they do. Luckily for Smith he has been scoring so he has a reprieve. I know it's ridiculous but looks like some fans are very emo and need those virtual punching bags to appease their existential frustrations. That's the only explication I found

EDIT : Just to be sure, my comment has nothing to do with Bonk's post or even Gudas, but more with the general scapegoating around here that I find particularly annoying. I'd love for people to tell me with a straight eye that there is no bias with the scapegoats who are put under a microscope of hate/over-scrutiny...

Can we agree Chiasson does very little good things

GWNR

Dec 10, 2013
Ottawa, Ontario
Really like this deal, once Ceci gets signed up we will six guys commited for the next two years. This means Chabot is pretty much guaranteed to be in the minors for the 17/18 season.

Phaneuf 7,000,000
Karlsson 6,500,000
Methot 4,900,000
Borowiecki 1,100,000
Wideman 800,000
Total: 20,300,000

I see us signing Claesson to be the 7th guy at 700,000ish and Ceci to a two year bridge worth roughly 2,500,000. That take our total to 23,500,000.

I think this signing means Wiercioch is 100% gone by the deadline, probably after the Calgary game for depth reasons.

That puts us up in the higher echelon of positional spending.

3 Calgary Flames 8 $25,774,327 37.45%
1 Winnipeg Jets 8 $22,706,667 38.53%
2 New York Rangers7 $26,525,000 38.22%
6 San Jose Sharks 8 $23,765,214 33.56%
4 Detroit Red Wings7 $24,825,493 34.92%
5 New York Islanders8 $22,049,454 33.67%

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
That puts us up in the higher echelon of positional spending.

3 Calgary Flames 8 $25,774,327 37.45%
1 Winnipeg Jets 8 $22,706,667 38.53%
2 New York Rangers7 $26,525,000 38.22%
6 San Jose Sharks 8 $23,765,214 33.56%
4 Detroit Red Wings7 $24,825,493 34.92%
5 New York Islanders8 $22,049,454 33.67%
Defensmen arent cheap,when i saw Weber an 8th man in Buffalo go for a 3rd :amazed:Patty might get us a a 2n.........yeah probably not :laugh:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Can we agree Chiasson does very little good things

He struggled offensively this year as he has the lowest Points/60 on the team among forwards. However he has the lowest GA/60 on the team too (after Dzingel who only played 9 games though). He has been used in a defensive role and has been somewhat efficient in that role. I think the problem lies more in the expectations people have.

That being said, Chiasson doesn't fit on this team long term and it would be better for him to play elsewhere under different coaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad