Roster Moves: Chris VandeVelde: cleared waivers, sent to Phantoms; Rinaldo activated from IR

Damaged Goods

Feb 26, 2009
Philadelphia
The whole Flyers team is "dumb" when it comes to penalties...one of the league leaders again even with a new coach...

But yeah this year Rinaldo hasn't helped and been in check as much as last year....

Rinaldo has the worst penalty differential on the team. He's worse than "not helping" -- he's the poster boy for the disciplinary issues that supposedly have the coach pulling his hair out. Yet he gets 9 lives with this team.

ahthorne

Feb 23, 2013
Vancouver
VV is a career AHLer. Nothing special and nothing to get worked up about. The coaches and players like Zac and his energy level and hits. His discipline clearly needs work but that will likely come.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Doubt he gets claimed. This is a guy that couldn't even get an NHL contract in the offseason.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I remember when we had the Carcillo (I think it was Carbomb)-Betts-Lapperriere fourth line back in the Cup challenging days that that line was awesome because they were all quality fourth liners and because we could trust that fourth line to handle minutes if need be and share shifts. That's what you want out of a fourth line as well as PK ability (a la Lappy) and face-off ability if you're a center (a la Betts or Hall).

Rinaldo brings none of that. In his best case scenario he's hitting things like a train and drawing penalties to negate his bad and reputation ones. Worst case scenario he plays like he has this whole season.

I hate crap like this because we always, always have a dedicated goon or goon-like player in the lineup and it kills the ability to roll fourth lines and is just annoying really. It's not one of those things people are going to get worked up about since it's a fourth line, but small moves add up and it's still not a good thing to do even if it's just a fourth line. Rinaldo was the worst player on this team by a landslide by pretty much every advanced stat out there prior to injury and he doesn't do anything Rosehill can't do (meaning, they both fight). At least VV can PK well and supposedly has flexibility. I'll take that over a guy like Rinaldo any day especially when Rosehill is already there.

Whatever though.

Also wanted to say that hits as a basic stat don't mean much and aren't actually all that positive of a stat. If you're hitting someone that literally means you and your team don't have the puck since hitting a player without the puck is interference. So when a guy like Clutterbuck makes a name for being a league leader in hits by a lot a couple seasons in a row that makes me wonder how effective he really is more then anything. So for Rinaldo it's probably not a good thing that his most standout and memorable trait while playing is hitting players.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I actually like Rosehill, I think he plays his role well. With that said, he's playing too much. I would have preferred if he saw under 20 games during the course of the season, he's already played in 29 this season. I agree with everyone else though Hall>Rosehill in terms of value to the team. Though I assume management knew that a 4C wasn't a role teams were looking to fill around the league considering it was the start of the season. There are a plethora of 4th liners available. I would actually argue that quality goons aren't overly abundant, less so then quality 4Cs. Don't get me wrong I definitely would have waived Rosehill before Hall but I'm just trying to provide a rational train of thought.

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Rosehill is Holmgren's boy. He traded for him and gave him a two-year deal before Berube became head coach.

ok both then. Rosehill really serves very little purpose. Berube will even play him when the other team doesnt dress their "goon"
Would be nice to find some 4th line guys so we can roll 4 lines. like some of the better teams do. but oh well. Flyers hockey.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Doubt he gets claimed. This is a guy that couldn't even get an NHL contract in the offseason.

Doesn't matter, plenty of players get claimed who have been waived or non-tendered in the offseason. Now, that is not to say that I think he will get waived, but the fact that he didn't get a contract is of no consequence. Blair Betts came to Philly on a PTO IIRC. You don't think he would have been claimed if waived? Adam Hall has been waived like three or four times in his career. Different teams have different needs at different times. And players who no one heard of can impress a team from getting minutes in the NHL.

Again, I don't think he will be claimed, but it would not surprise me one bit.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Fourth liners generally fly under the radar and sometimes just don't get roster spots despite deserving one. Betts was an example of that before we picked him up and I know Hall was in the waiver wire prior to the Flyers claiming him, but I don't know the exact circumstances of that.

Don't know how many of you remember Kalinski, but I thought he was a great fourth liner yet he never really got a shot here or stuck anywhere.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Fourth liners generally fly under the radar and sometimes just don't get roster spots despite deserving one. Betts was an example of that before we picked him up and I know Hall was in the waiver wire prior to the Flyers claiming him, but I don't know the exact circumstances of that.

Don't know how many of you remember Kalinski, but I thought he was a great fourth liner yet he never really got a shot here or stuck anywhere.

He was a solid 4th liner. I know he came back from that nasty quad injury but I'm not sure if that hampered his career. IIRC he was fairly young at the time of the injury, perhaps that played a role.

Schmidty324

Sep 14, 2010
Philadelphia

I remember Kalinski and I agree. Good 4th liner but not that much else.

One guy I miss is Darroll Powe. He was a fast, penalty killing 4th liner who also hit pretty well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad