Tribute Chris Neil

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Loved hearing him talk about coming up on the Wally and Methot podcast. Stories of having to fight absolute brutes in the lesser leagues to find his way up. By the time you hit the NHL the biggest guys are less than what you’ve already had to face lol.

Not the biggest guy, but the biggest heart. He hit harder than anyone and faced the music afterwards. Protected teammates, and had a few key beat down moments in the playoffs to cap his career against Boyle and Glass.

He could also play hockey at a solid NHL level. A true unicorn.

Ottawa Senators Legend.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Jeanerette's call here after the Neil-Mair fight is one of my favourites ever:

Shows how much of an impact he had. The opposing commentators were absolutely tilted at how much he could do and get away with.

Didn't Mair have 2 black eyes after that fight

Reactions: aragorn

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Great player. I like the toothless grin and smile on his face when he was fighting!
He has some kind of skate through the forest business now. He was super tough. And those hits. He kept the other teams on alert when he was on the ice. He was a late pick and really worked hard on his game to make the team and stay with the team. He is my kind of player an underdog.

Reactions: aragorn

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I freaking love this guy. Unbelievable class off the ice, absolute crusher on it.

My fav thing about Neil, favvvvvvv thing is whenever there was the SMALLESSTTT of scrimmishes or scuffles, and Neil was not on the ice, they ALWAYS zoomed in on him; and he was ALWAYS standing with his signature stare at the end of the bench. Bro, it killllled me. I would legit wait for like smallest of face washes for camera guy to immmmediately zoom in on Neil.

Loved it, looool.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Ruutu - Kelly - Neil

That's like the perfect 4th line. We need a similar 4th line

While it's not going to be similar because Ruutu and Neil are unicorns in today's game, something like this :

Crookshank - White - Watson

We'll have to upgrade on Watson but where to find a guy like Neil seriously?

Last edited:
Reactions: Matsens15

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Unpopular opinion, but I want 25 in the rafters. I've mentioned before, but I think 1000 games with the team should warrant number retirement. You don't reach that number without doing something right, and in 30 years we have only seen 3 guys do it so it isn't a common accomplishment. I know a lot of people only want to retire the numbers of "elite" players, but I would like to see players who played less flashy roles get the honour too. And hell I think one could argue Neil was "elite" in his role.

-1026 games with the club

-5 years as an alternate captain (by my count only Alfie, Phillips and Redden wore a letter for longer)

-Never getting suspended despite over 2500 PIMs and playing through eras where the grounds for suspension changed quite a bit

-176 fights (number 2 is Dennis Vial at 71 so his lead is more than anyone else has fought in franchise history)

-Just shy of the 100 playoff game mark, but he scored an OT winner and a Stanley Cup Finals goal

-Playoff highlights also included a fight that was hugely influential in winning round 2 in 2017 and being part of a line brawl against a rival

-He fought in the three biggest brawls we have seen in franchise history.

And I really believe we will never see a player like Chris Neil again, the game has just changed too much. In my opinion Neil exemplified the best parts of that kind of game. He was loyal and stood up for his teammates. He had more skill than many guys he would have fought against who were just out there to fight. He wasn't some cheap shot artist or head hunter like Tom Wilson or Matt Cooke. He was a leader on the ice. Even if he wasn't the best fighter ever or the best biter ever or the most talented player the Sens have seen nobody will ever fill the role of enforcer as well as he did.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad