News Article: Chris Kreider 2019-20 Edition

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
OK, here's my final offer to Kreider

2020-21 Age 29 (possible lockout year) $8MM Bonus, $1MM Salary (Full NTC, NMC)
2021-22 Age 30 $8MM Bonus, $1MM Salary (Full NTC, NMC)
2022-23 Age 31 (possible lockout year) $5MM Bonus, $1MM Salary (Full NTC, NMC)
2023-24 Age 32 $5MM Salary (Limited NTC, NMC)
2024-25 Age 33 $5MM Salary (Limited NTC, NMC)

5 Years, $34MM, Full move protection for three years, limited trade protection for last two years.

Given he already has a contract for this year, that gives him six years of security

Any takers?

I said 5 yrs 6.2 = 33m total
you have 1 mo at 34.

the only dif I immediately see is you have yours a lot more front loaded and I am not sure we will have the cap flexibility to go there even if we move Skjei and his 5.25, Namest, and others.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
you have 1 mo at 34.

the only dif I immediately see is you have yours a lot more front loaded and I am not sure we will have the cap flexibility to go there even if we move Skjei and his 5.25, Namest, and others.

Front loading has no impact on the cap hit...34 for 5 years is a 6.8 mil cap hit per year regardless of actual salary

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
you have 1 mo at 34.

Not only does front loading have no impact on the cap, it increases the net present value of cash and paying the player significant amounts in bonuses makes the contract less likely to be bought out and lockout proof.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's astonishing to me that we're this far into the cap era and people who post here regularly still don't understand some really basic things about contracts and the cap. I understand casual fans not knowing about how AAV is calculated, but people here are hockey nerds.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Front loading has no impact on the cap hit...34 for 5 years is a 6.8 mil cap hit per year regardless of actual salary

Not only does front loading have no impact on the cap, it increases the net present value of cash and paying the player significant amounts in bonuses makes the contract less likely to be bought out and lockout proof.

It's astonishing to me that we're this far into the cap era and people who post here regularly still don't understand some really basic things about contracts and the cap. I understand casual fans not knowing about how AAV is calculated, but people here are hockey nerds.

thank you x 3

don't shoot me for a brain fart

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
I can't see any way he takes a dollar amount and term the rangers are comfortable with. He will be looking for 7-8 years and around 7m. I don't see the rangers or any cup contender giving him that.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I can't see any way he takes a dollar amount and term the rangers are comfortable with. He will be looking for 7-8 years and around 7m. I don't see the rangers or any cup contender giving him that.

Joining Hayes in philly and they can both laugh about how they robbed the idiot Flyers.

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Joining Hayes in philly and they can both laugh about how they robbed the idiot Flyers.
Honestly if Krieder gets the kind of contract and money i expect him to be looking for i expect him to be a prime canidate for a buyout down the road. I think his best days are behind him or close to it and if he gets a 7 year deal in 3 seasons it will be a bad contract that can't be moved. All speculation but i just don't see his game having another level to it at his age.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Kreider will be looking for, and will get, an Anders lee/Evander Kane type contract. He WILL NOT be taking a home town discount after seeing the mess that was Shattenkirk

Reactions: Kupo

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
I actually posted the other day that I thought Kreider was worth the Anders lee contract, and everyone came out and said that lee was worth that because he had 30 and 40 goal seasons under his belt and that he's a Center so he's a higher cost.
Lee is a wing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers gave Panarin 7 years/$81.5M. The Rangers have Kakko and Kravtsov. If they pan out and become big time players on the team(all indications are that they will), the Rangers will need to pay them big money in three years. You read the Rangers may try Kakko or Kravtsov at center. When is that happening? It's not happening this season. The Rangers don't have the room for another big money contract on the wing for player who will be 29 at the start of his next contract. The Rangers already have that type of contract with Panarin who will be 28 at the start of this season.

Kreider is a power forward and those type of players don't age well at all. Look at the contracts to Lucic, Ladd, Okposo and Neal. One stink bomb after another.

The Rangers already have 3/4 of the top wingers on their top two lines going forward. They don't need to have all 4 spots locked in for a very long time. The Rangers are putting a 30 plus year old Kreider making $7M on the third line or buying him out after the 3rd or 4th year of his contract. Stop.

There can't be any emotion in the cap.

I like Chris so the Rangers should pay him. Nonsense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers gave Panarin 7 years/$81.5M. The Rangers have Kakko and Kravtsov. If they pan out and become big time players on the team(all indications are that they will), the Rangers will need to pay them big money in three years. You read the Rangers may try Kakko or Kravtsov at center. When is that happening? It's not happening this season. The Rangers don't have the room for another big money contract on the wing for player who will be 29 at the start of his next contract. The Rangers already have that type of contract with Panarin who will be 28 at the start of this season.

Kreider is a power forward and those type of players don't age well at all. Look at the contracts to Lucic, Ladd, Okposo and Neal. One stink bomb after another.

The Rangers already have 3/4 of the top wingers on their top two lines going forward. They don't need to have all 4 spots locked in for a very long time. The Rangers are putting a 30 plus year old Kreider making $7M on the third line or buying him out after the 3rd or 4th year of his contract. Stop.

Pretty much agree but I need to say this--I'm not advocating for the Rangers to re-sign Kreider. To me the Rangers are at a crossroads with him. Two scenarios--1) if they do re-sign him it has to be on their terms more than Kreider's. He's not going to get 7 years or $7 mil per. He's going to get 4 or 5 at most and maybe $6 or 2) they're going to move on from him anyway--get what they can and hope for a Hayes return or maybe better but maybe they won't get better--maybe they'll even get a little less.

I wouldn't compare him to guys like Lucic, Ladd or Okposo though. Chris has an asset that none of those guys have--he skates a lot better than any of them. I don't see him having an issue getting up and down the ice for a long time. He's more like Marleau in that regard and as long as he has that ability he can be a weapon. Chris also has better finishing skills than Lucic, Ladd or Okposo. His main issue has always been consistency. To me though his skating is the one thing that factors against your and Custance's argument. Most power forwards are not great skaters--Kreider is.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider will be looking for, and will get, an Anders lee/Evander Kane type contract. He WILL NOT be taking a home town discount after seeing the mess that was Shattenkirk
Shattenkirk created his own mess. We have been down this road before. There are the rumors/reports that he came in out of shape for his first season here.

Kreider has been in great physical shape throughout his career. I don’t foresee his contract as one that would be bought out down the line.

What he asks and what he actually gets is what will determine whether he is a Ranger or not.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Pretty much agree but I need to say this--I'm not advocating for the Rangers to re-sign Kreider. To me the Rangers are at a crossroads with him. Two scenarios--1) if they do re-sign him it has to be on their terms more than Kreider's. He's not going to get 7 years or $7 mil per. He's going to get 4 or 5 at most and maybe $6 or 2) they're going to move on from him anyway--get what they can and hope for a Hayes return or maybe better but maybe they won't get better--maybe they'll even get a little less.

I wouldn't compare him to guys like Lucic, Ladd or Okposo though. Chris has an asset that none of those guys have--he skates a lot better than any of them. I don't see him having an issue getting up and down the ice for a long time. He's more like Marleau in that regard and as long as he has that ability he can be a weapon. Chris also has better finishing skills than Lucic, Ladd or Okposo. His main issue has always been consistency. To me though his skating is the one thing that factors against your and Custance's argument. Most power forwards are not great skaters--Kreider is.
Really getting played out the comparison of Kreider to those guys. Its an extremely lazy comparison to go an extra length just to add to a side of the argument. Its quite the reach and desperate.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
if CK will go 5 yrs and 6.5 he stays and that's great value and a team friendly AAV. having CK for 5 more years is ok with me. the last few yrs of that deal hes on line 3. no problem at all.

he wears a letter and offers size, speed and a net front presence- something we wont have if he leaves btw, to mesh with our suddenly speedy and talent heavy top 9. adding panarin, kakko and kravy will do that.

if he is looking for term of 7 years you hit the eject button and make the best deal you can and you dont look back.

easy, simple decision based on money and cap.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If I’m running the team Kreider would have been traded by now

Can’t commit long term money to him with Panarin in the fold. If Panarin didn’t come, I would say keeping Kreider is more reasonable.

Now, he has to go

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
thank you x 3

don't shoot me for a brain fart

With the amount of proposals you make, you should know simple **** like this Bern.

Agree 100%. You can say he took a discount with his last contract. It won't happen this time around. Everyone around the league is getting paid. Kreider has earned his. 7X7 is probably the starting point for him when you look at some of the comparable's around the league.

I wish they followed this logic when Girardi and Staal needed new contracts. Good grief. The fact that some people still want CK after signing Panarin, and having guys like Kakko, Kravtsov, Buch, in the system is insane.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Can’t commit long term money to him with Panarin in the fold. If Panarin didn’t come, I would say keeping Kreider is more reasonable.

Now, he has to go
I'm pretty certain Gorton is trying to trade Kreider. Last deadline and during the Draft. I don't think Shatty would have been bought out if Gorton got the value he wanted for CK. Now he at least has more pull since we're not over the cap.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Kreider is a legit top line wing, not a depth winger. When the Rangers start to compete for playoff contention, having Panarin and Kreider staring as your top 2 LW, is quite something. We have no idea of what the K boys will be like. We have lots of hopes, but that is it. And Buch is a lot of thing so far, but he is NOT Kreider.

Look, there is a possibility that he will be traded. I also do not discount the possibility that it is Buchnevich that is the one who is moved and Kreider is resigned. As was pointed out, term and dollars. He may agree to a 5 year deal at a hometown discount. He is a career Ranger and a cornerstone of the current leadership group.
Liked your post, but is he really going to be? Hope so. This contract brings him to 36, right? Will he hang them up? Probably not. Will the Rangers cough up additional money for him in another deal with obvious diminishing skills? He probably will still be a solid player.....way too far into the future to even make this a subject.

I'd rather say......
........seems like yesterday we drafted him,
........seems like the day after that, he lit everyones fancy with his PO performance (even before playing a reg. season game)
........Seems like years..... he's disappointed us with underwheming consistency.
........Seems like last year, he has finally arrived and has become the unofficial "leader", with his maturation, and deep respect "in clubhouse".
.........Seems like NOW, he will be with us for another 7 years AND my top candidate for our next CAPTAIN.
But,.........Seems like a "life long Ranger" is up in the air.
We all thought Hank would be, right?

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas

It is easier to move a contract later on if it has less real dollars in the back end but this is true.

Now, he has to go

That was clearer before we won the lottery. Being sure (as sure as you can be) that you have another legit top LW to run out there behind/ahead of Panarin changes things. Kakko/Buch/Krav on the right. Panarin/Kreider/Laf on the left crowds things a lot more. Still weak at center but Kreider won’t be moved now until/unless we get into a cap squeeze down the line with retaining the youth. He may be on the third line soon, but until he inhibits us from keeping the young talent, he’ll be a Ranger.

The only guys that would bring us the type of center we truly want/need from that group are Laf and Kakko, the two least likely touchable. Maybe a package including Buch could get us a young guy with upside, but Kreider won’t. We’ll stick with the group we have for the foreseeable future. ADA/Buch remain the most likely trade chips, as they’ve been all along.

How we do this season will probably untangle the knot a bit. If the team over performs, Kakko takes a step, Lafreniere has a Calder season, Fox repeats, Shesterkin is the real deal... it likely makes the front office a lot hungrier to address holes on the roster more quickly. Get the center or LD we need in order to compete the following year. If Kakko comes along slowly, Fox has any regression or plateau, Laf doesn’t set the world on fire, etc. we are probably more patient.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I didn’t like this extension the day I heard the details. It looks even worse following a flat cap and a draft lottery win. Obviously, neither of those things could’ve been predicted. Hopefully, CK continues to keep himself in great shape. I just have a bad feeling that the last few years of that contract are going to be a 30-35 point winger on a 3rd line. Worse yet, I could see his retention causing a younger and more important piece to walk in the future.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I didn’t like this extension the day I heard the details. It looks even worse following a flat cap and a draft lottery win. Obviously, neither of those things could’ve been predicted. Hopefully, CK continues to keep himself in great shape. I just have a bad feeling that the last few years of that contract are going to be a 30-35 point winger on a 3rd line. Worse yet, I could see his retention causing a younger and more important piece to walk in the future.

That almost never happens. Teams always find a way out. Especially the Rangers.

I'm just annoyed that this is going to be an endless bitchfest about him and his contract every single week for the next 7 years. HFNYR is going to turn on him faster than they turned on Hank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad