Chris Higgins for Jesse Niinimaki,Tomas Micka

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it's obvious if the Habs traded up 1 spot and gave up an 8th rounder, it's because they had knowledge that another team coveted Higgins, I don't see why they'd give up an extra pick for no reason, I can't believe were having this discussion over an 8th round pick...

Even if this 8th round pick, Tomas Micka turns into a perennial all star, I really doubt people will be saying that the Habs got robbed in that deal, more like the Oilers got a steal

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
Then you have guys taken after the 8th round, who could have been picked in the 8th round as well:

Ken Klee, Jaroslav Modry, Nikolai Khabibulin, Anson Carter, Dan McGillis, Mike Grier, Pavol Demitra, Johan Hedberg, Evgeny Nabokov, Bill Muckalt, Tomas Vokoun, John Grahame, Steve Sullivan, Sergei Berezin, Tomas Holmstrom, Kim Johnsson, Danil Markov, Ronald Petrovicky

That's what your 9th round pick is for ;)

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
A logical explanation, but done after the fact. The rest is speculation. It is because Savard secured the pick that things turned the way they did. But who is to say Edmonton wouldn't have traded down further had Savard not moved?

It is a speculation I find as valid as the one you you suggest. It's really all up in the air.

We can even speculate further. If The Oilers *really* wanted to go off the board, why did they drop only one spot? Truly, I find their behavior in that deal (if we want to enter the speculative realm) WAY more erratic and fruitless.

They're going to drop one position, secure a garbage pick so they can draft some loser who should go in round 3? That doesn't sound like something logical to me.

Really, I think you are looking at this deal taking hindsight heavily into account. Because what dropping one spot lower suggests is that you want to be VERY close to where you are.

I've done countless drafts and if I feel pressured to move up, it's usually because I am dead set on a player and see no more options I like enough. Now, granted, I can't understand why the Habs felt that way (there were damn nice players still available, more than one) but hey, they felt that way.

As for the Oilers (still on the speculative track, here) I can't understand why they moved down only one spot. They sure fooled the Habs but accomplished little, got a garbage pick and made a selection that seems underwhelming so far.

Truthfully, no, I can't say I would have known for sure Higgins would be available. Speculations aside, the fact he was willing to move down for as little as an 8th rounder is more indicative to me that they were only trading down one spot. That Lowe was comfortable getting any of TWO players (at least) while Savard was only comfortable getting one player.

IIRC the rumor at the time was that Washington (at 17) and another team were both going to take Niinimaki if he was available at the time of their pick (maybe thats a load of crap but thats the rumor) so really the only options the Oilers had in trading down if they really wanted Niinimaki were Montreal and Ottawa (unless they were the other team). If this is true the Oilers did do the best they could have in still getting their guy as well as another asset (assuming they somehow tried to get Ottawa involved and Ott was not the other team after Niinimaki).

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Vlad The Impaler said:
They're going to drop one position, secure a garbage pick so they can draft some loser who should go in round 3? That doesn't sound like something logical to me.
It has been widely reported that the New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals were looking very closely at drafting Niinimaki as well. They couldn't afford to trade down much further and ensure that they still grabbed the player that they wanted...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Cerebral said:
It has been widely reported that the New Jersey Devils and Washington Capitals were looking very closely at drafting Niinimaki as well. They couldn't afford to trade down much further and ensure that they still grabbed the player that they wanted...

If it is true, that is very surprising to me.

But thank you (and Fincan) for the info :)

GoSSCHgo

Apr 3, 2005
KILLger said:
He named 21 players from the past 10 years. There are 30 players from one round, gives 300. There were also some 9th rounders but I'm not going to check how many and just use the 8th round.

21/300 = 7%

Oh my god, that's so many chances! I'm going to tell Savard to gather the 8 th rounders, they are golden.

Montreal is still kicking itself years later after Phoenix picked Shane Doan one spot ahead of the Habs, who ended up with (who?) Terry Ryan. This is an organization that will always trade up in the future if their guy is threatened. They've learned their lesson. :D

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Vlad The Impaler said:
If it is true, that is very surprising to me.

But thank you (and Fincan) for the info :)
The fact that Conte and the Devils were looking at Niinimaki is one of the sole reasons why some Oiler fans still hold out hope for the guy... :biglaugh:

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
GoSSCHgo said:
Montreal is still kicking itself years later after Phoenix picked Shane Doan one spot ahead of the Habs, who ended up with (who?) Terry Ryan. This is an organization that will always trade up in the future if their guy is threatened. They've learned their lesson. :D
Doan should have gone a spot earlier to the Oilers. Oh well, at least they grabbed that speedster Steve Kelly... :banghead:

Rather Gingerly 1*

Fozz said:
I never got this trade... Why would Montreal trade to select only one spot higher? Obviously, if Edmonton made the trade, it's because they had no intention of drafting Higgins in the first place. If that's the case, the Habs didn't need to give up an 8th rounder to get the player they wanted.

I kind of agree here. I don't think that was really a trade. Not a tradional one anyway

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
GoSSCHgo said:

They were really high on Doan as well from what i hear he was their 1st choice...

I think this example is perfect in showing why the Habs moved up to secure Higgins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad