Chris Bourque

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyEh

Jul 7, 2005
Chris Bourque -- Center, Washington Capitals -- 5'7" son of hockey legend Ray Bourque

Would be curious to know how posters on these boards rate his chances (odds) at:

playing a full game in the NHL
playing a full season in the NHL
playing a full career (5+ seasons) in the NHL
is selected as an all-star.

friction

5-14-6-1
Nov 17, 2003
Calgary
Full game: 95%
Full season: 75%
5+ seasons: 50%
All star: 5% or less.

IMO, just because he's the son of a certain someone doesn't mean he'll be as good, that said it doesn't mean he'll be horrible too. I just don't see a 5'7" guy being an all-star (with the notable exception of Theoren Fleury).

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
yea possibly a brian gionta type player. he has the skill to be top 2 lines, which is where he'll have to play to be effective. he can play the point on the pp, which is good. he could easily turn out to be a daniel brierre, brian gionta, donald audette type, with a st. louis or fleury being the ultimate ceiling, but unlikely.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
When i think Chris Bourque, i think of guys like Brent Gretzky or Rocky Trottier.

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
orangeandblack said:
yea possibly a brian gionta type player. he has the skill to be top 2 lines, which is where he'll have to play to be effective. he can play the point on the pp, which is good. he could easily turn out to be a daniel brierre, brian gionta, donald audette type, with a st. louis or fleury being the ultimate ceiling, but unlikely.

I saw Gionta and Chris Bourque play, no way in hell does Bourque have the talent that Gionta does. If Bourque wasn't the son of a legend, he wouldn't have been drafted so high. I think Bourque's chances at NHL success are about as high as his GPA was during his only season at Boston U.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Bourque's most notable characteristic is being a polarizing player. There are a lot of people who flat-out hate his guts, many who cite personal examples, and cite his last name.

I've seen @ 7 or 8 or his BU games, seen him at the Caps rookie camp in 2004, and watched him in the 2004 WJC. I still don't know what to make of him. He has good skill and better hockey sense. Will it be enough? I don't know.

His upcoming season in Hershey (my guess) will tell a lot.

He certainly didn't have Gionta's eye-popping numbers in his freshman season.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
no one cuts bourque any slack, someones always criticizing his game. from what ive heard he isnt the most liked kid in the world, but he does have a decent amount of talent. gionta and st louis had great numbers in college, bourques were decent, but not on par with theirs. regardless st louis wasnt drafted, and gionta was a 3rd rounder, bourque was 3 picks late from being a 1st rounder; someone in a higher position then any of us saw something they liked. even at wjc evaluations no one last year thought he had a shot at the team, but he made it on first cuts, and ended up playing on the 1st line and 1st pp unit. ill admit his name definitely has helped him out, but it wouldnt help him out so much as to have some people that are in high up positions lose their jobs over it. several people whos job it is to judge hockey talent have liked what theyve seen. how will this translate to the nhl, no one knows, but i think he'll have more success then rocky trottier and brent gretzky.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
playing a full game in the NHL - 90%
playing a full season in the NHL - 65%
playing a full career (5+ seasons) in the NHL - 65%
is selected as an all-star. - 2-5%

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I like his dogged determination (he reminds me of that bullish anime Naruto) but he's only got good skills to go along with his small (and I mean SMALL) frame. They're not elite so his chances of ever becoming a regular are quite small unless he's traded to an expansion team. But then again, Bourque has proven many doubters wrong before.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
It has been suggested that Bourque is up to 5'9" now. Dunno if that's true. Apparently he is a terrific skater. He looked very good at the WJC before paying the price for body-cehcking the 6'5" guy. He'll have to learn to pick his spots better.

No one knows if his game will translate to the NHL. If it does the Caps have a gem. If not, not. The kid has a ton of heart though and I believe! :thumbu:

Jessie Lumsden

Apr 7, 2005
playing a full game in the NHL - 25%
playing a full season in the NHL 0%
playing a full career (5+ seasons) in the NHL zero
is selected as an all-star. zero

PEli*

Personally, I hope he becomes the friggin' Messiah Washington is looking for...because Moncton needs to get dicked. They're going to crash and burn this year.

A disgrace to the Memorial Cup they be. Y'arr.

Joe d

Aug 15, 2004
Jacky Robert said:
I saw Gionta and Chris Bourque play, no way in hell does Bourque have the talent that Gionta does. If Bourque wasn't the son of a legend, he wouldn't have been drafted so high. I think Bourque's chances at NHL success are about as high as his GPA was during his only season at Boston U.

I hope your second post is not as positive as your first. Give the kid a break and let him develop.

NYC Aim 4588

Christopher Bourque Center
Born Jan 29 1986 -- Boston, MA
Height 5.08 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots

He is only 19 so he should still grow and gain weight, I say he gets up to 5'10" tops and 180/185 lbs tops. Leaving him at an ok size still kind of small but there are plenty of NHL players around that size.

Sammy*

NYC Aim 4588 said:
Christopher Bourque Center
Born Jan 29 1986 -- Boston, MA
Height 5.08 -- Weight 170 -- Shoots

He is only 19 so he should still grow and gain weight, I say he gets up to 5'10" tops and 180/185 lbs tops. Leaving him at an ok size still kind of small but there are plenty of NHL players around that size.
Depends what you mean by "plenty". What 10 or 12? And generally, those little guys have one or two unbelievable attributes & lit it up big time in college/junior.
Furthurmore, I dont think there is much growing heightwise after 18.

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
Joe d said:
I hope your second post is not as positive as your first. Give the kid a break and let him develop.

The kid completely screwed Boston University (not a bad thing) and is extremely overrated. I see no reason to cut this kid any slack whatsoever. Comparing him to the St. Louis' or Gionta's of the NCAA game is ludicrous.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Jacky Robert said:
The kid completely screwed Boston University (not a bad thing) and is extremely overrated. I see no reason to cut this kid any slack whatsoever. Comparing him to the St. Louis' or Gionta's of the NCAA game is ludicrous.
BU is not crying over the loss of Bourque. He was not irreplacable and i'm sure he won't be missed!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacky Robert said:

If he's such a poor prospect, how did he completely screw BU?

Jacky Robert

Aug 17, 2005
Chestnut Hill, MA
EroCaps said:
If he's such a poor prospect, how did he completely screw BU?

He told BU, and the Boston media, that he would return for a second year. Then, it was discovered he "didn't exactly spend much time in the classroom" following the Beanpot and ended up with a pretty sad academic year. Like I said, he was overrated because of his name, but he was a nice college player. The problem is, like many college kids, their game doesn't translate to the NHL game. Bourque will be out of hockey in three years.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jacky Robert said:
He told BU, and the Boston media, that he would return for a second year. Then, it was discovered he "didn't exactly spend much time in the classroom" following the Beanpot and ended up with a pretty sad academic year. Like I said, he was overrated because of his name, but he was a nice college player. The problem is, like many college kids, their game doesn't translate to the NHL game. Bourque will be out of hockey in three years.

Maybe, maybe not. He looked real impressive at the Caps' prospect camp and held his own in the AHL.

DINO22CICCARELLI

May 6, 2004
Jessie Lumsden said:
playing a full game in the NHL - 25%
playing a full season in the NHL 0%
playing a full career (5+ seasons) in the NHL zero
is selected as an all-star. zero
If Chris Nilan (Bruins) or Randy Burridge (Caps) can make an All Star team then Bourque has a chance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad