Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
JQ With a goal and the primary assist on the gwg. A solid +2

This is from the sarnia thread.

Zacha was very noticeable in Ottawa and the best Sarnia player by far.

I miss the daily weekend update about our prospects. There was this guy who posted the stats for NCAA, OHL and so on.

Last edited:

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City

I miss the daily weekend update about our prospects. There was this guy who posted the stats for NCAA, OHL and so on.

All About the Jersey posts a prospects update every Tuesday. It's pretty good.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Amazing how that when Blackwood got lit up by Niagara, he was still able to stop 37/42 shots...that's a lot of shots to give up.

It's going to be a good challenge for Zacha today as Sarnia plays against a very good defensive team in Kingston.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012

Don't want to advertise other message boards on here, but njdevs.com has daily updates of our prospects.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Sarnia loses 4-1.

Hate to sound like an ultra-homer here, but Zacha is still the best player on the ice, despite being held off the scoresheet. It's hard to do much when Crouse is lined up against him, Crouse is just an elite defensive forward. Zacha does need to work on his face-offs though, as he had some trouble in the dot.

As time was running out, Sarnia was down 3-1 and had the empty-net when Zacha throws the puck across the zone to a Sarnia player with a wide-open net. The player had a poor shot, the goalie blocked it, and Kingston came down the ice to score the empty-net goal...kind of a summation of Zacha's season. He's been the only real driving offensive force. I'm not concerned about the points, because once Zacha gets some competent linemates the assists will start to rack up. It seems like this season he is really working on his set-ups for teammates, and he's still looking quite solid in that regard.

Rough stretch for Sarnia this weekend.

For SSM, Colton White with 1G 1A and Blake Speers with 1G

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Sarnia loses 4-1.

Hate to sound like an ultra-homer here, but Zacha is still the best player on the ice, despite being held off the scoresheet. It's hard to do much when Crouse is lined up against him, Crouse is just an elite defensive forward. Zacha does need to work on his face-offs though, as he had some trouble in the dot.

As time was running out, Sarnia was down 3-1 and had the empty-net when Zacha throws the puck across the zone to a Sarnia player with a wide-open net. The player had a poor shot, the goalie blocked it, and Kingston came down the ice to score the empty-net goal...kind of a summation of Zacha's season. He's been the only real driving offensive force. I'm not concerned about the points, because once Zacha gets some competent linemates the assists will start to rack up. It seems like this season he is really working on his set-ups for teammates, and he's still looking quite solid in that regard.

Thanks for the Zacha stuff. Have enjoyed reading these updates.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Sarnia loses 4-1.

Thanks for the updates on Zacha from someone who watches the Sarnia games. It's good to get that kind of perspective.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Every time there's a write up about Sarnia, there are never any red flags about Zacha. Everything said and written about him is either positive or stellar.

Jun 18, 2011
New Jersey
Sarnia loses 4-1.

Thanks we appreciate the update man

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Seney with 10 points in 11 games.
Speers with 19 points in 24 games, but a minus 18.
White with 11 points in 24 games, but a minus 11. (Idk how SSM is this year so who knows what plus/minus means.)
Jacobs with 12 points in 24 games.
JQ with 24 points in 20 games.
Chatham with 18 points in 23 games.
Dudek with 1 point in 12 games. (Always hoped he'd turn into something special, still time obviously, but expected a bit more)
Baddock with 11 points in 28 games.
Rehill with 13 points in 22 games.
Santini with 6 points in 24 games to go with a +10.
Wood with 17 points in 13 games. (Looking every bit a steal for us)
Kerfoot with 12 points in 8 games. (Interesting player who could turn into something, maybe)
Gavrus has 10 points in 19 games over in the K.

Last edited:

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Seney with 10 points in 11 games.
Speers with 19 points in 24 games, but a minus 18.
White with 11 points in 24 games, but a mins 11. (Idk how SSM is this year so who knows what plus/minus means.)
Jacobs with 12 points in 24 games.
JQ with 24 points in 20 games.
Chatham with 18 points in 23 games.
Dudek with 1 point in 12 games. (Always hoped he'd turn into something special, still time obviously, but expected a bit more)
Baddock with 11 points in 28 games.
Rehill with 13 points in 22 games.
Santini with 6 points in 24 games to go with a +10.
Wood with 17 points in 13 games. (Looking every bit a steal for us)
Kerfoot with 12 points in 8 games. (Interesting player who could turn into something, maybe)
Gavrus has 10 points in 19 games over in the K.

Thanks for listing this out. Out of this group, Santini, Wood, Jacobs and JQ intrigue me the most. Also curious about Kerfoot.

I'm not sure what to think of the -18 from Speers. One would have to look at that number relative to his own team. It's not a good number regardless how effective plus/minus is.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Thanks for listing this out. Out of this group, Santini, Wood, Jacobs and JQ intrigue me the most. Also curious about Kerfoot.

I'm not sure what to think of the -18 from Speers. One would have to look at that number relative to his own team. It's not a good number regardless how effective plus/minus is.

On SSM there are only two forwards who are plus so I'm assuming it's not a really good indicator of anything with regard to Speers.

Kerfoot has always intrigued me. He's got some skill but has to stay healthy. I do like his overall game though.

Wood really gets me excited though as he's seemingly just now becoming a big time player. Hopefully the Devils do in fact get him signed before he can become UFA.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Thanks for the Zacha stuff. Have enjoyed reading these updates.

Thanks for the updates on Zacha from someone who watches the Sarnia games. It's good to get that kind of perspective.

Thanks we appreciate the update man

Thanks guys, I'm a huge Zacha fan, so I'm trying to not come across as really biased in these little updates.

He still has work to do and improvements to make if he wants to make the big show...I think we will really try and develop his as a center, to which he needs to work on his face-offs. His passing is stellar, and he does a decent job reading the ice in terms of where to pass. He really likes doing behind the back, blind passes. When the teammate is there and aware of the puck coming his direction, they work out really well, but the key word is ready.

He already plays in all situations (top 6 minutes, interchanging on the 1st line...the coach hasn't placed him specifically there because I think he's trying to keep some chemistry, first powerplay unit and first penalty kill unit). His skating reminds me a lot of Kovalchuk, just in the sense that he almost seems disinterested in his skating/coasting around, but he's rather surveying the ice and will get to where he needs to be when he needs to be there. He's got an awesome shot, but he's really trying to be a pass-first center. He's been like this since his days in the Czech Youth Leagues. If he is able to work himself out and get stronger, etc. I definitely see a prime Eric Staal or Ryan Getzlaf type player in him.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
I say, put Zacha on the wing. It puts him in the best position to be successful and use his talents.

He's being used at really all forward positions in Sarnia...mostly center, but sometimes on the powerplay, or even once on the penalty kill last game, they'll throw him on the wing. I'm hoping to see him develop as a center, but right now he could make the big team as a winger.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
Zacha is already scoring at a great clip playing the middle. He also has very good passing skills. He might not be one of those players who can elevate the skaters around him, but when paired with a talented winger I have no doubt you'll see great overall production from him.

thethinglonger

Castron & Crew
Dec 1, 2014
New Jersey
Zacha is already scoring at a great clip playing the middle. He also has very good passing skills. He might not be one of those players who can elevate the skaters around him, but when paired with a talented winger I have no doubt you'll see great overall production from him.

Completely agree. Sarnia itself has scored 79 goals this season...only 3 other playoff bound teams have scored less (Flint, Soo, Owen Sound) and 2 of them are within the same division. (even though 16 out of 20 OHL teams qualify for the playoffs so there are only 7 teams in the OHL that have scored less than Sarnia)

For wingers playing with Zacha, the most important thing is to be prepared for the puck at almost all times, because he'll get it to them...and that's why I'd like to see him further develop as a center, make the big leagues as a center, and get shifted to wing on the powerplay or something similar to what's going on for him in Sarnia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad