Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Wow, that is pretty disappointing that Jacobs was cut. I know this may seem a reach but I'm sure the whole USA hockey brass isn't happy about a college kid jumping ship to the CHL.

It wouldn't surprise me if politics come into play a bit. Politics are part of sport at any level in my experience.

Comparison Ford

i got a star
Sponsor
May 25, 2008
LA
Just the fact he was there was a good sign. Obviously I would've preferred he made it, but the U.S. did things different than the other teams. The U.S. Actually had a 40 player roster and two teams that they planned on breaking down to a 23 man roster. So his chance of getting cut was pretty much 50 percent.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
It was always pretty unlikely that Jacobs would make the team outright. He hasn't had a lot of exposure up to this point, and a couple scrimmages probably weren't gonna change anyone's mind unless he really blew people away.

This wasn't his last shot to make the team, also. There's another camp closer to the WJCs, and a strong showing in Sarnia and/or some injuries could put him squarely in contention for a spot.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
It's too bad for Jacobs, but not too unexpected. Team USA has a couple of incumbent RHD from last year's squad in Brandon Carlo and Ryan Collins. Jacobs isn't the type of D to replace somebody a PPQB like Anthony DeAngelo.

RogueStatus

Devils-Redhawks
Oct 15, 2008
I was hoping Jacobs would last until tomorrow because I'm going to watch the USA-FIN game and wanted to see him play first hand. I will hopefully get a good look at Auston Matthews and Jesse Puljujarvi

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Surprised.. Almost all the HF guys had him in their top 6. Shows what happens when you take the CHL route.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Surprised.. Almost all the HF guys had him in their top 6. Shows what happens when you take the CHL route.

Jacobs would have been a bubble guy regardless of his choice. The incumbent guys (Hanifin, Werenski, Carlo, Collins) are going to have the inside track (Hanifin could be busy with the NHL). Carlo/Collins are similar type defenders to Jacobs; Carlo being a CHL guy to boot. So it's not surprising to see more offensive minded RHD like Belpedio/McAvoy getting a longer look to basically replace Anthony DeAngelo's spot from last year's team.

Somewhat similar situation with Severson getting squeezed out of Canada's WJC lineup in 2014. Ekblad/Dumba were locks, so they were looking for guys who could fit certain roles (PP/PK).

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Going to watch todays game, hoping Quenville can make an impact and make the team. Seems like it would be most likely in a bottom 6 role.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Going to watch todays game, hoping Quenville can make an impact and make the team. Seems like it would be most likely in a bottom 6 role.

Bottom 6 role on team Canada is a top 6 role for almost any other country. Canada is stacked. Be amazing if JQ somehow made the team.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wow, that is pretty disappointing that Jacobs was cut. I know this may seem a reach but I'm sure the whole USA hockey brass isn't happy about a college kid jumping ship to the CHL.

Woah, read that as "Jacob was cut" as in JJ was cut from the Devils. Almost cried.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Bottom 6 role on team Canada is a top 6 role for almost any other country. Canada is stacked. Be amazing if JQ somehow made the team.

I think he has an outside shot. Didn't make much of an impact yesterday in a limited role. He is in the lineup again and so is Blackwood. Guessing Blackwood will start considering the other goalie in the lineup played yesterday.

Edit: JQ is not in the lineup.

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Honestly, JQ probably has a pretty good chance of making the team. He's got a reputation as a good 2-way player and Canada always loves to get some of those guys up and down the lineup. Plus everyone talks about his leadership and how he comes up in big games all the time. I think I'd be more surprised if he doesn't make the team.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
Honestly, JQ probably has a pretty good chance of making the team. He's got a reputation as a good 2-way player and Canada always loves to get some of those guys up and down the lineup. Plus everyone talks about his leadership and how he comes up in big games all the time. I think I'd be more surprised if he doesn't make the team.

I'd be pretty surprised if he makes it. He hasn't shown a ton here offensively, and Canada is very deep. He hasn't played a ton of minutes either. Seems like a longshot.

Mustangs

Jan 13, 2008
Barrie
THN pool book has a new top 10, cant imagine that they will change it up for the year book.
Zacha
Santini
Blackwood
Quenneville
Matteau
Boucher
Hrabarenka
Helgeson
Pietila
Wedgewood

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I'd be pretty surprised if he makes it. He hasn't shown a ton here offensively, and Canada is very deep. He hasn't played a ton of minutes either. Seems like a longshot.

Both of those are true. Doesn't change the fact that Canada's almost always brought along some "depth" types to the WJCs. Gauthier, Nick Paul, Crouse, Halischuk, Dana Tyrell, Brandon Sutter, team Canada loves those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad