Chicago Wolves intend to return to independence (upd: only lasted one year before reaffiliating)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Where does Carolina end up with now? They were with Charlotte which was super convenient location wise, but Charlotte has since paired up with Florida.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
So the wolves are joining another league then,since it’s impossible to build a full team consisting of veterans with the current AHL rules and the AHL doesn’t allow independents.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
I don't remember the exact wording of the by law but I'm pretty sure the requirement for the affiliation is for new teams and doesn't explicitly say you have to maintain an affiliation.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Interesting.

I know the Wolves historically have always put their own interests first (i.e. winning) ahead of trying to develop players for NHL teams and have not always been seen as the greatest partner as a result.

But I too thought the AHL required teams to be an NHL affiliate - that's the direction the league has taken for a very long time now.

CUrious to see what happens.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Young said the decision was made because the Wolves believe the Hurricanes’ philosophy towards their AHL affiliate had changed this season.

“Within our affiliation, it says we will develop and also we want to win a Calder Cup,” said Young, who is in his 14th season as Wolves general manager. “I think the philosophy has changed, not our philosophy, but the philosophy has changed from up top. We had a really successful year and won the Calder Cup last year and developed players, gave them a few players too that are in their lineup now at minimum salary. I believe Carolina’s philosophy has changed. It was all about development. And our philosophy, it’s in our affiliation, that says develop and win. We think by winning, we develop. That’s where we stand.

“Also, some organizations are development-only, but we think if we have development and win playoff games, guys learn how to win, which you’re trying to do all the time. That’s changed. It’s time to go independent and follow our own philosophy.”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Interesting.

I know the Wolves historically have always put their own interests first (i.e. winning) ahead of trying to develop players for NHL teams and have not always been seen as the greatest partner as a result.

But I too thought the AHL required teams to be an NHL affiliate - that's the direction the league has taken for a very long time now.

CUrious to see what happens.
Wolves have always been that affiliate that you team up with in between your AHL affiliate. Canucks went to Chicago in between losing Manitoba due to the return of the Jets and before they got to Utica. Same with Vegas before they got one in Henderson, NV.

Question for Carolina is where do they go from here? Charlotte seemed logical since it was in state, but I heard it was a money issue with them. So, now where?

Chicago, probably makes sense for them to be independent if they want to be a winner consistently and not lose guys during the season to the NHL. Will be looking to sign vets who have basically accepted that the NHL is not in their future anymore.

Reactions: Stumbledore

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Insiders mention Chicago situation.

The upcoming/summer AHL BOG meeting may be very interesting.

Carolina may be looking for new franchise?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The Wolves are an excellent run organization. They formed in the 1990s as a team in the IHL which had no affiliation to the NHL. They advertised heavily and were the “anti-Blackhawks” who were run by Bill Wirtz. Games on local tv, prioritizing fan experience and winning above all else. They won a lot in the IHL and had a number of core players throughout the tenure. For a while they even outdrew the Blackhawks.

They switched over to the AHL when the IHL folded and have burned through different affiliations while remaining competitive. They remain fiercely independent and not an extension of their NHL affiliate. I imagine this makes them difficult to work with. They will likely continue to prioritize winning and to establish long term franchise players like in the 1990s. I wish them the best of luck.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
From the limited reading I’ve done, there doesn’t appear to be a AHL requirement that the Wolves maintain a AHL affiliation.

If that’s the long term position of Chicago, it does raise the question whether the AHL could add a 33rd team in upcoming years to have 32 NHL affiliated teams?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
From the limited reading I’ve done, there doesn’t appear to be a AHL requirement that the Wolves maintain a AHL affiliation.

If that’s the long term position of Chicago, it does raise the question whether the AHL could add a 33rd team in upcoming years to have 32 NHL affiliated teams?
Carolina needs an affiliate now. So figure they eye somewhere in the eastern time zone. It does seem odd to have a completely Independent team in a minor league. I doubt that happens with baseball’s AAA leagues.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Check out this Podcast: Coffee, Grunge & Playoff Hockey Coffee, Grunge & Playoff Hockey

Friedman and Marek 32 Thoughts. Some discussion near end of podcast. Didn't address Carolina's need/desire for AHL affiliate. Wolves want to push to win every year, not develop/stockpile depth for NHL call ups.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Carolina needs an affiliate now. So figure they eye somewhere in the eastern time zone. It does seem odd to have a completely Independent team in a minor league. I doubt that happens with baseball’s AAA leagues.
I think it's more that they would like to create their own independent hockey league if they could but the limitations of hockey don't allow that.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Does anyone know how many current AHL teams aren't controlled by their NHL affiliates?

rsteen

Oct 1, 2022
I think it's 20 or 21 teams that are owned by their NHL affiliate. But most of the independently owned teams aren't very independent, as sh724 pointed out. Jeremy Jacobs doesn't own the PBruins, but their GM is Evan Gold who is also an AGM for Boston, for example.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Does anyone know how many current AHL teams aren't controlled by their NHL affiliates?

I believe 21 teams are currently owned by the NHL club. The 11 teams with separate owners are:

Charlotte Checkers
Chicago Wolves
Cleveland Monsters
Colorado Eagles
Grand Rapids Griffins
Hershey Bears
Leigh Valley Phantoms
Milwaukee Admirals
Providence Bruins
Springfield Thunderbirds
Syracuse Crunch

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Check out this Podcast: Coffee, Grunge & Playoff Hockey Coffee, Grunge & Playoff Hockey

Friedman and Marek 32 Thoughts. Some discussion near end of podcast. Didn't address Carolina's need/desire for AHL affiliate. Wolves want to push to win every year, not develop/stockpile depth for NHL call ups.
They also said 2 things that gave me good thought.

First, the Wolves are the only AHL team with their own management.

The other is that while they would not have affiliation, it would open them up to various loan agreements to take on prospects, and specifically goalies, who may be boxed out of situations on other teams. They do still have to adhere to roster rules.

This would give me some pause if I were the ECHL though. The Wolves are going to have a number of players who would be the best players in the ECHL. I’m quite curious to see how this plays out and if other teams want to try it. But my last point is the big factor - whoever does is going to have to pay their own staffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad