GDT: Chicago at Buffalo, 1:00 PM EST MSG-B, WGN, NHLN

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The team that likely is hurt most by Ron Francis firing? The Hawks.
Dale Tallon was reportedly ready to give Gudbransson a terrible contract this Summer. Seabrook is signed until 2030 on a bargain of a contract!

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I take no pleasure in Chicago's downfall, if not for the salary cap they would have had a dynasty the equal of or better than the Oilers and Islanders. They played the game beautifully. Sad to me.

Well, you give Kane and Toews $21M, what do you expect. Tautologically, of course you can say that they demand that money, but I wouldn't say that they earn it.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I take no pleasure in Chicago's downfall, if not for the salary cap they would have had a dynasty the equal of or better than the Oilers and Islanders. They played the game beautifully. Sad to me.

You can't just look at the cap's impact on the Hawks right now and lament how its hurting them. It also helped their rise by hurting the top teams at the time of their rise. It also helped them get some players other teams couldn't hold onto.

The biggest one back then was Hossa. The cap made it too hard for either the Pens or Wings to sign him to a long term contract. Thus enabling the Hawks to bring in one of the key cogs for the success that followed. They don't get him and its possibly they don't get that first Cup. Or any for that matter. There are depth guys, like Campbell, who don't become Hawks without the salary cap making harder for others to sign them.

The salary cap can give opportunities to teams on the rise and then take them away as the financial price for success kicks in. Can't complain at the tail end of a run when its hurting after it helped at the start.

Last edited:

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
You can't just look at the cap's impact on the Hawks right now and lament how its hurting them. It also helped their rise by hurting the top teams at the time of their rise. It also helped them get some players other teams couldn't hold onto.

The biggest one back then was Hossa. The cap made it too hard for either the Pens or Wings to sign him to a long term contract. Thus enabling the Hawks to bring in one of the key cogs for the success that followed. They don't get him and its possibly they don't get that first Cup. Or any for that matter. There are depth guys, like Campbell, who don't become Hawks without the salary cap making harder for others to sign them.

The salary cap can give opportunities to teams on the rise and then take them away as the financial price for success kicks in. Can't complain at the tail end of a run when its hurting after it helped at the start.
Also if we're talking about how the cap helped Chicago, they were a huge beneficiary of the old contract rules that let them add extra years to the end of a contract to lower the cap hit. Keith's been locked in at a $5.5M cap hit since 2010.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad