CHI gets:

Karlsson
2024 First Rd Pick

PITT gets:

Jones
2024 First Rd Pick TB
2025 First Rd Pick TOR
Taige Harding

CHI needs a true PP QB and pays an extra first to move up in this year's draft. PITT doesn't need Letang and Karlsson, Jones has more of a two-way game which would balance out PIT d-core. Plus he is 3 years younger. Harding is a big steady D and former 3rd round pick.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Chicago says no but it's also my understanding that if the Penguins keep their 2024 1st, they can't trade it.

If Chicago wants EK, I think they could get him for a price that doesn't involve a gluttony of high picks. Honestly, EK for TB 1st + prospect would likely do it.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The big win for Chicago here is getting a shorter contract back, meaning that more cash would be available, faster, to build around Bedard. Conversely, Pittsburgh would be committing not to rebuild for even longer, and Jones in 4 years would be still under contract once Crosby and Malkin are long gone.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Chicago says no but it's also my understanding that if the Penguins keep their 2024 1st, they can't trade it.

If Chicago wants EK, I think they could get him for a price that doesn't involve a gluttony of high picks. Honestly, EK for TB 1st + prospect would likely do it.
I could be wrong but I can't imagine there's any language that forces them to actually make the pick, that would be crazy. If they choose to keep the 1st I'd think they can do whatever they want with it

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I would really only consider this if PIT retained salary on Karlsson.

We already have on overpaid D, I think Id rather just pay a sweetener to leave Seth Jones outside some other team’s door, rather than trade him plus picks for a different, albeit better overpaid dman.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I’m sure you’re right but never underestimate the power of Dubas sucking.
That just seems like it would be a hilariously spiteful clause for San Jose to demand for some reason.

For the record, I still think Dubas' track record on trades is pretty damn solid - it's contract negotiations where he gets taken to the cleaners

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like Jones for Karlsson is basically a lateral swap, which turns this into likely 2 late 1sts and a prospect for the Penguins higher 1st. It largely depends on where those picks fall for whether this is fair. If it's like #20 this year and #28 next year for #10 this year, I think it's not too far off in value.

The OP is probably not unreasonable in value but it's not something that I think either side would do. If I had to say who this favored, I'd say the Penguins but not by a ton.

powerbomb

Apr 6, 2013
The idea of Pittsburgh punting Erik "I Want To Win A Stanley Cup" Karlsson into Chicago after just one season is hilarious :laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I could be wrong but I can't imagine there's any language that forces them to actually make the pick, that would be crazy. If they choose to keep the 1st I'd think they can do whatever they want with it
You could be right. This came from a SJS poster who listed quite a few of the "reported" conditions and their details. It was a comprehensive list and that was one of the stipulations. Who knows if it's true but the post seemed legit.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Karlsson says no.

He has a full no movement clause. I doubt he'd move so quickly after going to Pittsburgh and I doubt he'd be on board with going to a team still in the early stages of the building process.

If Karlsson leaves Pittsburgh, it will be to a team that's already firmly in the playoffs but is looking for one last push to be a Cup contender, not a team still building.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Karlsson says no.

He has a full no movement clause. I doubt he'd move so quickly after going to Pittsburgh and I doubt he'd be on board with going to a team still in the early stages of the building process.

If Karlsson leaves Pittsburgh, it will be to a team that's already firmly in the playoffs but is looking for one last push to be a Cup contender, not a team still building.

Thinking about Vegas at the 2025 deadline. They'll likely have the cap space to do it.

As pointed out though, just absorbing full salary or sending roster + capital back is going to be enough. Not the guy I'm rushing to move out just yet but if Sullivan stays here then it's completely pointless to have EK on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad