Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Jan Rutta signs extension (1 year, $2.25M)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Called this last week from a mile away. Qs a fan of his and if Ruuta wanted to be back, he would

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Don't know much about Rutta, but 19 points in 40ish games isn't too bad. Is he more offensive than defensive?

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
Fair value, and pretty much no choice for us. Maybe he's not a long-term second pairing guy, but he looked pretty good before his injury, and frankly, we don't have a lot of other options for the D next year. Gus is a joke though. Gus' deal doesn't cripple us or anything, but it does provide incentive for us to play him, which I'm not happy about.

Rutta should be good to go for next year. Hopefully he and Forsling can find that chemistry again.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think this is a little bit of an overpay, but it's 1 year, so it's not the end of the world. I would have thought 1.5 for Rutta. The Gus deal is the real head scratcher as he's not an NHL player.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
If Rutta didn't get hurt this season, he'd cost a lot more than this. However, whatever injury he has had for the last several months has kept him in and out of the lineup for a long while now. And even if he fully recovers this offseason, the fact that he missed so many games this year because of said injuries should've made his cap hit be lower than what this is.

Though we do have a ton of cap space this offseason for a change. Still, this signing might put us out of the running for Tavares.......yeah, we have a lot of room next year. Year after might be a different story.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Surprised they didn't try a 2 year at 2m (or lower) why only do 1 year? So you can pay more when he breaks out next year?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Concussions have that effect mid season
Don't think it's concussions. Foley mentioned something during the Canes game about a lower body injury and Rutta wouldn't be in and out of the lineup as much as he has if it was anything to do with the brain/head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad