Confirmed Trade: [CHI/EDM] Brandon Manning and Robin Norell for Drake Caggiula and Jason Garrison

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
When the trade happened, I had him slotted in around our 12th best dman, so this really isn’t surprising. Jones, Bear, Lagesson, and Day aren’t coming out of the lineup for him, so he’s got to compete with Stanton and Lowe just for a spot on the bottom pairing.

Agreed. The deal was a head scratcher at the time, and certainly doesn't look any better now.
A depth winger like Cags is still more valuable than a press box / minors guy who's signed for another year at $2Mil+.

Especially when you deal from a position of weakness to add to a position of strength.

Much as I wanted Manning off our NHL roster, he's definitely an AHL player at worst. There will be a reason for his sitting i'm sure.

Our AHL team has at least 4 dmen that are better than him, and there are 8 dmen on the roster. He’s got to come out at some point to get the other guys in. The scary thing is Bouchard and Samorukov turn pro next year as well, so there’s a good chance he becomes the #7 down there, unless someone gets moved out

Reactions: CycloneSweep

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Dont know what is worse. This, or that Dave Hakstol played him over sanheim, Morin, and Myers just last year.

Hextall had to f***ing send Sanheim back to the Phantoms last year (where he scored 16 points in 18 games!) because Hasktol kept healthy-scratching him in favor of this plug. So f***ing awful.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Even more alarming this was a Quenneville choice to want Bowman to sign him

Inexplicably, Olczyk was a fanboy of Mannings too

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Much as I wanted Manning off our NHL roster, he's definitely an AHL player at worst. There will be a reason for his sitting i'm sure.

The hate he gets is unreal. He's not a lazy player, he's just not very good. Can't be blamed for Hak using him, or Chicago giving him such a ridiculous contract. He seems like a good guy, just not a good hockey guy.
Bakersfield had a win streak of 17 games tied for longest in league history. Manning made a real stupid play that led to the goal against that ended the streak. He was promptly sat 2 games.

Reactions: Tripod

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Even more alarming this was a Quenneville choice to want Bowman to sign him

Inexplicably, Olczyk was a fanboy of Mannings too

It's not inexplicable, Olcyzk is a braindead sycophant.

He trashes Teuvo when he's told too, and he verbally felates Manning when he's told to.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

The hate he gets is unreal. He's not a lazy player, he's just not very good. Can't be blamed for Hak using him, or Chicago giving him such a ridiculous contract. He seems like a good guy, just not a good hockey guy.
The AHL is a development league.

From its web site:

"In the AHL, player development is a top priority. The American Hockey League and the Professional Hockey Players’ Association have the following development rule in place:
Of the 18 skaters (not counting two goaltenders) that teams may dress for a game, at least 13 must be qualified as “development players.” Of those 13, 12 must have played in 260 or fewer professional games (including AHL, NHL and European elite leagues), and one must have played in 320 or fewer professional games. All calculations for development status are based on regular-season totals as of the start of the season."

I haven't analyzed Bakersfield's roster, but that rule explains why some older players in the AHL are sometimes healthy scratches.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad