Confirmed Trade: [CHI/BUF] Anders Bjork for future considerations

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Is there a draftpcik involved? I thought it was just Gicewicz, and was more likely just a contract exchange, no?
It just stated future considerations. But again this trade makes no sense for chicago with only 8 weeks or less to play hockey with a guy who has a expiring contract even if chicago retains his rights the guy doesn't scream success

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
It just stated future considerations. But again this trade makes no sense for chicago with only 8 weeks or less to play hockey with a guy who has a expiring contract even if chicago retains his rights the guy doesn't scream success
All it is a AHL trade, but maybe he plays some for the Hawks. We literally have like half a team of AHL level players at this point. But if you are going to tank, do it like you mean it.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
All it is a AHL trade, but maybe he plays some for the Hawks. We literally have like half a team of AHL level players at this point. But if you are going to tank, do it like you mean it.
I get that but he could have asked buffalo for a pick as well . He makes 1.6 plus million

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Probably a cheap warm body solution, but may be one that they feel could be serviceable in the right system. Kid has speed and can PK, he just needs coaching and serious system structure so he doesn't have to think.

They gave up nothing of value, and cap is not a problem for the remainder of this season. In the minors he will cost Chicago 100k. Buffalo has zero cap issues too, so there is not a situation where they are helping another team out of a bad cap situation.

If he miraculously works out, could be someone they could resign below his QO as a placeholder for depth during their rebuild. Consider it a tryout.

Reactions: Taylorst

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Chicago likely wants bodies to play out the string instead of savaging their AHL roster to backfill all the forwards they've sent out.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
Chicago likely wants bodies to play out the string instead of savaging their AHL roster to backfill all the forwards they've sent out.
Your probably right
I just see no real rhyme or reason to Kyle's picks and acquired talent.
Looking at chicago ahl team most of the defenseman there aren't anything to brag about

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Do teams actually get anything at all back at any point in time when they get "future considerations"? Financial compensation or anything? Or does "traded for future considerations" truly mean "traded for nothing at all" most of the time?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Do teams actually get anything at all back at any point in time when they get "future considerations"? Financial compensation or anything? Or does "traded for future considerations" truly mean "traded for nothing at all" most of the time?
I think most of the time it's nothing.

There have been cases that teams have been compensated later on, but probably need to start going into NHL transaction history to start finding them.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Not computing this.

The Hawks could bring up any league-minimum minor-leaguer to fill a roster spot and help them tank. What does Bjork offer them at twice the cost?

I'm sure Buffalo doesn't mind clearing a one-way contract foe and AHL player off the books, but what's in it for Chicago?

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Chicago once traded FC in a deal with St.Louis.
The consideration was Chicago played an extra exhibition game in St.Louis. (Gate revenue).

Reactions: The Hockey Tonk Man

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Not computing this.

The Hawks could bring up any league-minimum minor-leaguer to fill a roster spot and help them tank. What does Bjork offer them at twice the cost?

I'm sure Buffalo doesn't mind clearing a one-way contract foe and AHL player off the books, but what's in it for Chicago?
Sometimes, it's not about the teams, it's about the player. Bjork wanted a chance at some NHL time, Buffalo is in the wild card race, he wasn't going to see the roster here. So a call is made, Chicago agreed. Sounds like 2 GM's giving a player some NHL life where the conditions for both clubs was right for it.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not computing this.

i don’t know about Chicago AHL team and if they are in a playoff spot/ race thrn the GM probably dies not want to call up good players from that club to fill spots created by trading roster players

Bjork on the other hand is in the final yr of a contract at the end of the year who would not get qualified by buffalo. If he was able to get some NHL time he might be able to get an nhl contract.

on buffalo he was not going to get the time. On chicago he is. If he does well enough on Chicago might get him an nhl contract with them even if below his QO amount.

it’s the same reason Buffalo traded Asplund to nashville. He was sitting in the press box unless injuries occurred. I think his contract was done this summer as an RFA who wouldn’t get qualified by buffalo

nashville had some room for him and the team was still in a playoff race

sometimes teams do this for the player and not as a banishment but to give them an opportunity.

Reactions: Ciao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad