Chevy, TNSE, July 1st UFA Frenzy and the Stanley Cup

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
Chevy, TNSE, July 1st UFA Frenzy and the Stanley Cup

During Chevy’s news conference today Chevy said some really interesting things and I will add what my thoughts that are in brackets here and there alright and you can listen to Chevy here:

Chevy’s News Conference today: http://jets.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=47061

Time 3:55 Chevy said:

“we knew who was going to go early and those things transpired and well you know where you’re going to go after thatâ€

(Jets will almost never over pay or offer crazy contract time to older UFA’s, it’s one of the Winnipeg Jet’s Commandments of not what to do ever, period.)

Time 5:47 Chevy was asked how would you describe the climate or the reception of over the last little bit and how you approached free agents I know it’s something we talk about each year:

Chevy said at 6:28 about UFA the Jets did talk to:

“and but what you do find out is when you sit down and talk and explain where we are at as an organization as long if there is not a specific reason why someone wants to go somewhere or someone doesn’t want to go somewhere um than they are receptive they are receptive to what’s going on here what’s transpiring ahh they certainly know the Dustin Byfuglien signing they know Blake Wheeler they know obviously our young guys in Trouba and Sheifele they know Nicolaj Ehlers and certainly they know Patrick Laine so um they they see those things they see the youth the plan that’s in place they know umm the that there is a plan in place that we been trying to methodically execute since the day that we got here so there is receptive to that but again when a player has a right to go to free agency they’ll they’ll choose to where they can go.â€

(The UFA’s see, know and really like the Winnipeg Jets Plan and want to be part of that plan but the Jets didn’t resign Ladd a UFA why? too much pay and too much contract time needed that is why Ladd was traded so again Jets will almost never over pay or offer crazy contract time to older UFA’s, it’s one of the Winnipeg Jet’s Commandments of not what to do ever.)

So some of you fellow HF Boards folks whished that Chevy could have or should have stepped up for (insert your UFA name here) but Chevy didn’t pick your guy so you’re glum. :(

Well I am not glum at all. :partytime:

Take a real good look at the forest that makes up our NHL Jets instead of the individual UFA tree Chevy didn’t pick today.

TNSE and Chevy have earned my respect over the years but more importantly they have also earned my faith that they will never ever deviate to much far away from the original plan of building a new kind of NHL Team that will be the envy of every other NHL team in the league, mark my words.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=114819401&highlight=#post114819401

We are so lucky to have a management group that will never throw out the baby with the bath water.

Thanks to TNSE and Chevy for it’s only a matter of a short time before they are proven right and we do win the Stanley Cup and have a team that will compete year in and year out for the Stanley Cup for a very, very long time!

:handclap: :nod: Go Jets Go :jets Go Jets Go :nod: :handclap:

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I was hoping for Boedker to stick with the speed plan but overall, these contracts will hurt many other teams while we do what we do. It seems boring on days like today but it's for the greater good.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Being an organization on a tight budget has its advantages...

Certainly keeps us out of the frenzy. I'm fine with that. The biggest mistakes are made on July 1 every year.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Would have liked Hamhuis for the term and money that Dallas got him for, but the other signings? I'm not crying over them. Oh, no - we have a new MacWilliam to throw onto the AHL squad to call up in case a 5th or 6th D gets injured.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Would have liked Hamhuis for the term and money that Dallas got him for, but the other signings? I'm not crying over them. Oh, no - we have a new MacWilliam to throw onto the AHL squad to call up in case a 5th or 6th D gets injured.

Not a chance that Hamhuis would agree to sign in Winnipeg .

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'm not at all discouraged from our family signings. If anything in slightly discouraged that we signed anyone at all.
There's going to be. A serious log jam at forwards and that's a good thing but I would have liked a "smarter" depth signing...but honestly that may have ended up more frustrating.

I'd rather us have a useless guy parked in the ahl then a useful guy who should be playing over others.

Essentially if a guy like weircoxh or whoever (any other teams equivalent of postma) was signed and then banishes to the press box or minors I'd be pulling my hair out over them not getting anytime.

OTOH if street sees more then five-10 games of NHL action I'll be very VERY disappointed.

Someone mentioned it in another thread but I really am starting to question our pro scouting staff.

Its a coompletely minor move and not a big deal but it would be nice to see them sign guys like streit that still have upside as opposed to "tried and true uselessness"

"Moderately unknown uselessness" is better imo but I've come to terms that this management group is not the bleeding edge kind.

Either way not a bad day, not a great day, just a day.

One thing I will say is how long do we trust the plan? Not from your plan is good in theory, unless it's a **** plan. I don't think the jets IS a **** plan, but if in 2 more years were no closer to contending, maybe deviating from the plan isn't a bad thing...

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'm not at all discouraged from our family signings. If anything in slightly discouraged that we signed anyone at all.
There's going to be. A serious log jam at forwards and that's a good thing but I would have liked a "smarter" depth signing...but honestly that may have ended up more frustrating.

I'd rather us have a useless guy parked in the ahl then a useful guy who should be playing over others.

Essentially if a guy like weircoxh or whoever (any other teams equivalent of postma) was signed and then banishes to the press box or minors I'd be pulling my hair out over them not getting anytime.

OTOH if street sees more then five-10 games of NHL action I'll be very VERY disappointed.

Someone mentioned it in another thread but I really am starting to question our pro scouting staff.

Its a coompletely minor move and not a big deal but it would be nice to see them sign guys like streit that still have upside as opposed to "tried and true uselessness"

"Moderately unknown uselessness" is better imo but I've come to terms that this management group is not the bleeding edge kind.

Either way not a bad day, not a great day, just a day.

One thing I will say is how long do we trust the plan? Not from your plan is good in theory, unless it's a **** plan. I don't think the jets IS a **** plan, but if in 2 more years were no closer to contending, maybe deviating from the plan isn't a bad thing...

Completely agree. I'm thinking that there probably wasn't a big group of free agent defensemen willing to sign for 600k for one year knowing they aren't likely to see much NHL action . I won't be surprised if Melchiori is above him on the depth chart. If we have to dig that deep, we're in big trouble however you look at it.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
The Plan. Chevy seems to have more leeway in his rope to implement The Plan than just about every single one of his peer group in the league, with the possible exceptions in Detroit, Toronto and Tampa Bay.

The Plan could very well take 10 years to come to fruition; a length of time that would normally see at least one GM firing/hiring in a majority of the league's teams.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Think most posters on this board understand the negativities related to overpaying in free agency, and that most times you do overpay, paying for what a player did, not what he is going to do.

You build your roster through the draft, you augment through free agency. We are still a few years away from augmenting this roster.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I was expecting nothing from FA Friday and that's what we got, nothing. I'm concerned a bit with Strait being signed, if he ever plays a single game it will be a very bad thing. Anyone who makes Stuart look good......is really bad. Bring on TC.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Think most posters on this board understand the negativities related to overpaying in free agency, and that most times you do overpay, paying for what a player did, not what he is going to do.

You build your roster through the draft, you augment through free agency. We are still a few years away from augmenting this roster.

Most posters have also heard that we are a few years away for the last few years.

If we hadn't lucked into Laine this likely would have been considered a mediocre draft .

And while we didn't do any big time stupid contracts, we really didn't do anything to move forward either.

Time will tell

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Most posters have also heard that we are a few years away for the last few years.

If we hadn't lucked into Laine this likely would have been considered a mediocre draft .

And while we didn't do any big time stupid contracts, we really didn't do anything to move forward either.

Time will tell

If we had gotten 9th in the lottery and taken Max Jones, then traded up for Stanley I don't think mediocre would have been the word for it. :laugh:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Howden and Matthias may help our dreadful PK

Laine and Connor may help our dreadful PP

We took on ZERO bad contracts.

And Howden and Matthias mean NO THORBURN on 3rd line ever again!

In a sneaky way the Jets were among the winners of FA 2016.

:D

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Howden and Matthias may help our dreadful PK

Laine and Connor may help our dreadful PP

We took on ZERO bad contracts.

And Howden and Matthias mean NO THORBURN on 3rd line ever again!

In a sneaky way the Jets were among the winners of FA 2016.

:D

Isn't Howden AHL bound??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad