CHEREPANOV: What is his upside?

Happyhary9

Jul 11, 2006
I have only seen him play in the WJC, which he looked very good. But why does he not get more consideration as the top pick. He seemed to have a great year in the RSL which is harder to play in then any of the other top prospects. Is it because he don't have as much talent or more because of worrys about nat having an agreement in place with RUS. I would like to here what his upside is, do people think he could be a 50 goal scorer in the NHL?

Kaktus*

I have only seen him play in the WJC, which he looked very good. But why does he not get more consideration as the top pick. He seemed to have a great year in the RSL which is harder to play in then any of the other top prospects. Is it because he don't have as much talent or more because of worrys about nat having an agreement in place with RUS. I would like to here what his upside is, do people think he could be a 50 goal scorer in the NHL?
He is top 3 pick.. I'd say he is considered.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
I'd say he's a bit riskier, he has alot of skills, I would see him as a regular 40, and sometimes 50 goal scorer AT FULL PEAK (remember that not nearly all players reach there max potential), he is risky because he has to work alot on his skating and sometimes i would say you wonder if he really has the drive to improve and be the best he can..

I'm guessing he ends up more a player you can count on for atleast 30 goals and 60-70 points, and he will sometimes score 40 and his career season would be at or close to 50 goals with about 90 points...

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
he is risky because he has to work alot on his skating and sometimes i would say you wonder if he really has the drive to improve and be the best he can..
Some scouts would agree with you on the second part, but Cherepanov is by all accounts one of the top skaters in this draft.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
It's not his talent:

Transfer agreement.
Potential signablity problems. Ie He can make more playing in the RSL. Will only sign a one way deal. Would prefer to develop in RSL than AHL.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
It's not his talent:

Transfer agreement.
Potential signablity problems. Ie He can make more playing in the RSL. Will only sign a one way deal. Would prefer to develop in RSL than AHL.
I don't think that really has anything to do with it. No transfer agreement might scare away some NHL teams from picking marginal talents, but certainly not from top talents like Cherepanov. Whichever team thinks Cherepanov is the best player when they are picking, they're going to take him. Cherepanov would likely have no problem playing next year on a team like Chicago, Philadelphia, or one of the other bottom teams. If not, let him play another year in Russia, then come over.

Also, I believe all rookie contracts must be two way deals, no?

Paxton Fettel

Mar 3, 2006
It's not his talent:

Transfer agreement.

I don't get this.

Whether you draft him 1st, 3rd, 10th or 25th, the signability level is the same.

So why pass on a guy like Cherepanov and let another team get him?

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Talent wise he is most certainly a top 3 pick but I think the general consensus is that his russian will drop him out of the top 3.
I don't think that's true. I think his inconsistency and questionable drive are two reasons why he won't be a top 3 pick. On pure talent, I think Turris, Voracek, and Kane are all right there with him or even ahead of him and those 3 don't seem to have the same question marks (though they all obviously have some).

Kaktus*

Cherepanov should stay in Russian until he is 20 and develop his game there. When he comes to North America he will be the player everyone would love to have. He will add size up to 200lbs and he will be around 6'1 or maybe even 6'2.

Basically he won Calder in RSL this year.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Yup.
No doubt in my mind.
Without it, maybe the Oilers have a shot with the 6th pick, which I am pulling for.

I can't see him getting past Washington.

I may be off here, but it will probably give Cherepanov to want to come over and play with Ovechkin, and maybe surrounding Ovechkin with some Russian buddies will give him incentive to stick around when it's time for his UFA?

That, besides the fact Cherepanov is a great talent, would be my thought process in Washington snagging him.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Cherepanov should stay in Russian until he is 20 and develop his game there. When he comes to North America he will be the player everyone would love to have. He will add size up to 200lbs and he will be around 6'1 or maybe even 6'2.

Basically he won Calder in RSL this year.

He's 5'10 now. I don't think he'll magically grow another 4 inches.

Bryzga lol*

I don't get this.

Whether you draft him 1st, 3rd, 10th or 25th, the signability level is the same.

So why pass on a guy like Cherepanov and let another team get him?

cause they're not sure what his intentions are...maybe the NHL isn't a top priority???

They'll find out at the european draft combine what he's all about. I could see him going #1 if his attitude is up to par.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
cause they're not sure what his intentions are...maybe the NHL isn't a top priority???

They'll find out at the european draft combine what he's all about. I could see him going #1 if his attitude is up to par.

yeah it could happen. this draft is getting more and more interesting every day. who is considered #1 seems to change every couple of days. its nothing like previous years!!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
What's the deal with him being described by some scouts as gutless?

Any insight on this?

It's one thing to have a bad tourney, but he's taken a lot of heat lately.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Actually he's 5'11. Sometimes he's even listed as 6'0, but that's too much I think.

I still see him listed at 5'10 in some scouting reports. Regardless, he's a small player, it was patently obvious in the WJCs and it'll be even more obvious in the NHL. I think a lot of these height listings are generous. But I don't see that as any reason to deter a team form selecting with a top 5 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad