OT: Cheering injuries (via radio)

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Hopefully OT is the right prefix for this - as my topic isn't directly Flyers related.

The Sirius guys have spent a lot of time taking calls today about fans cheering opposing team players when they get hurt. This, was most specifically directed towards the Islanders fans cheering when Crosby was down after taking a puck to the face last night.

I feel like it comes with any sport but they were debating about how classless it was. It went into fans cheering refs getting injured, etc. Ultimately, it evolved into "the Crosby talk" and how they couldnt understand the amount of hatred he has recieved compared to other star players.

As a fan I know I don't ALWAYS cheer when a player it hurt - it depends on the player AND if they have a serious injury or not.

Is there a circumstance where it isn't "so" bad to cheer when a player goes down in your opinions.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I don't have a real problem with it. I don't think the majority of the people that do cheer in these circumstances are really wishing the player any kind of harm or cheering the fact that he is in pain, just that they are glad to see a player they hate (i.e. Crosby) on a team they hate (i.e. Penguins) off the ice.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
Generally, I find cheering injuries to be stupid. I want my teams to beat the best and there to be no excuses. That said, in the case of a fight or monster check, I'll cheer the devastating hit that led to the guy being injured without much consideration for the condition of the player who got training/beat.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Yeah - I think the player who is injured/down/etc has a lot to do with it also.

I mean Crosby is like the boy who cried wolf on top of the fact that he plays dirty at times, cries to refs, etc...I can't imagine most fan bases (aside from Pittsburgh) wouldn't cheer if last night's situation occurred in their building

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I think it always reflects the player.

Opposing fans are all over Rinaldo because he wines a lot and dives. They don't do it with Messi, because he is a classy player.

I don't think players like Datsyuk would ever get booed in the same situation, but Crosby has a deserved reputation IMO.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
It depends on the player and the injury. If Tony Romo broke his foot I'd probably pull an "ah-hah" and say get him off the field, if he got his head all twisted around I wouldn't.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
remember the Penguins PBP clowns saying "It couldnt of happened to a nicer guy" comment when Hartnell got dinged up against the Pens and couldnt return in a game a couple of years ago?
As far as the OP, Its not something I would do.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
It happens everywhere. I don't why opposing fan bases get on their high horse when stuff like this happens.

Yeah it was the one Sirius NHL channel guy who was really nagging on it. Apparently they were inundated with Flyers fans calling on the subject and were seeking Rangers fans to call in but none did (lol, nice). But someone, I think an Islanders fan, made a good point - he took a puck to the face - it's way different than being boarded head first and taken off by a stretcher.

And...it's Crosby. Most of the time no one knows if he is diving or not

HartsyMania

What, me worry?
May 14, 2010
Pennsylvania
There's no excuse for cheering for an athlete getting injured. It's not a primary part of any sport, but an unfortunate side effect which branches into player's personal lives. End of story.

We'd be flipping on here if somebody cheered if Giroux or someone like that went down, because it's a classless thing to do.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
There's no excuse for cheering for an athlete getting injured. It's not a primary part of any sport, but an unfortunate side effect which branches into player's personal lives. End of story.

We'd be flipping on here if somebody cheered if Giroux or someone like that went down, because it's a classless thing to do.

That's true - it's just so hard when it comes to the Pens. especially after employing the likes of Cooke for so long, being hypocrits last year when they gooned it up playing the Islanders (Mario crying after them retaliating)..etc.

But you are right, I wouldnt want Crosby to have an unhealthy life outside the NHL when he leaves tho sometimes the excitement of a game doesn't allow us to put long-term side effects in the forefront of our behavior...human instinct

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah it was the one Sirius NHL channel guy who was really nagging on it. Apparently they were inundated with Flyers fans calling on the subject and were seeking Rangers fans to call in but none did (lol, nice). But someone, I think an Islanders fan, made a good point - he took a puck to the face - it's way different than being boarded head first and taken off by a stretcher.

And...it's Crosby. Most of the time no one knows if he is diving or not

I don't like when fans do it but happens and it happens in almost any sport in any arena around the world. I personally don't do it but I know there's fans here that have done it here in Philly. I just don't like when fans of other teams jump on other fan bases for doing it when it would probably be the same story if the roles were reversed.

Like last night there was a thread on the main board about Crosby and this incident and of course pens fans were in there doing their normal victim act. It was hilarious reading through some of the comments from them. If giroux got hurt in their building no doubt in my mind they would be cheering.

Last edited:

Broad st phantom

Oct 28, 2005
philadelphia
I remember when Cambell destroyed RJ Umberger, and the fans cheered and Buffalo played the replay over and over again. Flyer fans were pretty upset, especially here on HF. I want Crosby and every other player to have careers end when they decide to hang the boots up, or cant cut it anymore. Of course my first instinct on that play as ha-suckit Crosby, but then I hope he is ok, so I can hate him even more in the future.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
For some reason this reminds of that time mcquaid from Boston missed on a hit and took a header into the boards. I think other fans were calling us out for cheering.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
cheering when you don't know the extend of the injury is classless. but being as though it wasn't that bad i don't really care, plus it's crosby, that definitely has something to do with it.

no, seriously i wouldn't cheer for a serious injury like taking a puck/stick to the face. if its a big clean hit you might cheer until you realize the player is hurt then you stop. just my opinion

AaronTrieu

Mar 6, 2008
It's just a reaction. If I saw Crosby go down I'm automatically booing because I feel a 4 min penalty coming our way. Plus he's the boy who cries wolf. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad