CHED vs 1260

Ogopogo*

I just don't know how people can want to hear 24/7 talk about one hockey team, especially one that has been a massive on-ice embarrassment for several years.

I understand the Oilers are #1 in town, and they are going to get the majority of coverage from September until the season ends (early April for as long as anyone can remember). But in between? Discussions about who should be on the 4th line should be reserved for message boards and kept off the airwaves in favor of relevent discussion on other sports.

For me this is the time of year is awesome in the sports world. CFL, NFL, NCAA football in full swing, plus MLB playoffs and NHL starting. But all we'll hear about is the NHL 90% of the time from now until May. It ticks me off when I want football updates on a Saturday afternoon, but instead of ESPN college game day we have some blogger that got given a radio slot making sure we get in our 80 hour per week Oiler talk quota.

99+% of Edmontonians don't give a **** about NCAA football. Why should Edmonton radio have any coverage of that?

Baseball playoffs are good too, I shouldn't say I completely ignore baseball when hockey starts but, it definitely takes a back seat in a big way. NFL and NCAA don't even register a blip on my radar at any time of year.

Oilmageddon*

I just don't know how people can want to hear 24/7 talk about one hockey team, especially one that has been a massive on-ice embarrassment for several years.

I understand the Oilers are #1 in town, and they are going to get the majority of coverage from September until the season ends (early April for as long as anyone can remember). But in between? Discussions about who should be on the 4th line should be reserved for message boards and kept off the airwaves in favor of relevent discussion on other sports.

For me this is the time of year is awesome in the sports world. CFL, NFL, NCAA football in full swing, plus MLB playoffs and NHL starting. But all we'll hear about is the NHL 90% of the time from now until May. It ticks me off when I want football updates on a Saturday afternoon, but instead of ESPN college game day we have some blogger that got given a radio slot making sure we get in our 80 hour per week Oiler talk quota.
Because thats what the audience wants same reason why in the states Jim rome is 50% NFL NCAA25% NBA NCAA 20% MLB with the other5 % for golf tennis mma nascar And .025% hockey if that

Broken Stix

Apr 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It seems that although there is a little more character to the guys over at 1260, that there is a lot insight at CHED. Stauffer can be some what of a Homer at times, does seem to be able to get info that nobody else in town can and bring in some interviews that are very good. I think if there was a way to have Nielson and Spector do a show that runs against Tencer for Oilers Post Game, that is something that I think 1260 would be able to top CHED's Tencer show.

What are everyone's thought on 1260 putting a show on like that??

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
It's a function of the schedule and market demand:

NBA- Locked out
MLB- Done by October 27th
CFL- Done by November 27th
NCAA Football- Done by January 9th
NFL- Done by February 5th

Three of the five other leagues you'd realistically talk about will be done by December. The remaining major sport takes place regularly only twice a week- Sunday/Monday. What, realistically, do you want to hear about the other five days of the week?

Yes, they'll be done by December, they're not done in the fall though. A few years ago, we'd get Oiler and Eskimo talk on the morning show and drive time, and ESPN in the afternoon to provide NFL and NCAA. I liked that balance. Over the last year or two, even more Oiler and NHL talk has taken the place of that.

No. What you actually want is college football updates; the NFL only has two Saturday game days this season- Weeks 16 and 17. That need puts you in a heavy minority among local sports fans- if I really care about NCAA football, I'm probably watching it on TV/online/on satellite radio, right? So why, then, are your needs more important than the majority's? This leads into your next comment:

They're not, I'm not suggesting 1260 change their programming. Just a general comment that I get annoyed if I'm in the vehicle on a Saturday and have the Oilers shoved down my throat while there are tons of college games going on that can be discussed due to this town's over-the-top obsession with one team only.

Lowetide wasn't "got given" anything. Here's the dirty secret about radio: the programming is merely a vehicle for income. You could have a program on competitive knitting if you could either a) sell the ad time for it b) find a host who could sponsor the hour. I'm not even exaggerating; take a peak at 1260's Sunday morning schedule. The Lutheran Hour and The Money Show on a sports station? Why? Well, because someone was willing to pay for it.

In LT's case, 1260 PD Ross MacLeod isn't there holding his hand, telling him to feature bloggers so as play into this grand conspiracy of creating an Oilers hockey versus other sports ratio of 90/10, 80/20 or whatever fanciful number you choose; he had to cultivate the sales relationships himself, sell the ad time himself, and build the entire show structure himself.

Want a college football show? Go get the advertisers to commit to it, and I bet 1260 would be more than happy to have it. Until then, you'll have to thirst your quench for it somewhere else. I'm not being a jerk- that's the way the business is.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, like I said I'm not expecting 1260 to change. They provide what creates ratings, which unfortunately seems to be 90% Oiler talk. I suppose my beef is with the "sports fans" in Edmonton that in actuality, are Oiler fans, not sports fans.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
99+% of Edmontonians don't give a **** about NCAA football. Why should Edmonton radio have any coverage of that?

Because thats what the audience wants same reason why in the states Jim rome is 50% NFL NCAA25% NBA NCAA 20% MLB with the other5 % for golf tennis mma nascar And .025% hockey if that

I don't really disagree with these comments. See above post. More a general annoyance with the market itself.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I suppose my beef is with the "sports fans" in Edmonton that in actuality, are Oiler fans, not sports fans.
And this would be an Oiler board , not a sports board .
Something tells me you aren't going to find a lot of sympathy here for your "beef" .

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
If you are that into the other sports why not spring for satellite radio?

Good suggestion. I find the sports programming on Sirius to be an occasional relief from the continual bombardment of Oilers stuff that we get on 1260 & 630. Although NHL Radio is on the more pricey 'Sirius/XM' tier, there is still some good hockey stuff to be found on basic Sirius: Hockey Night in Canada Radio on Channel 157 in the afternoon and Scott Ferrall early evenings on Howard 101. Like Jim Rome's show, Ferrall is an acquired taste but I highly recommend his show for those who aren't easily offended. The guy's absolute love of hockey even though he's an American is delightful to hear.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Spector, formerly of Team 1260 prior to the TSN takeover, will be on CHED today with Stauffer.

CHED is destroying 1260 right now.

-Move Tencer off Oilers coverage? Check.
-Renew Oilers rights? Check.
-Poach Spector? Check?
-Poach Strudwick? Eventually?

JustinCider

Dec 15, 2005
Earth
Spector, formerly of Team 1260 prior to the TSN takeover, will be on CHED today with Stauffer.

-Poach Spector? Check?

I like the morning show on 1260, it's good, not great. I love Lowetide's show. Don't care for Jamison's show, Stauffer's good, connected. Gregor is solid. Wilkins is ok, better than Tencer, but far from great. Strudwick is different and entertaining. All in all, I think both stations have their strong points, and local sports radio has never been better.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What about the #1 insider in Edmonton that you [mod] past 20 days?

Last edited by a moderator:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
North Korean State radio is more objective than Stauffer and Tencer on Ched. If I have a hankerin for some inane pap and propaganda I will choose to indulge in Ched.

Otherwise it is 1260. While not perfect, at least they have the freedom to express an opinion.

Sounds like IATL has stumbled across Jesse Ventura's next episode

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Why do the T.V broadcast holders hire their own people to do play by play and color guy but when it comes to the Radio it's the Team that supplies the radio station with the play by play and color guys?

Does TSN employee the play by play team for the radio stations it has the rights for?

Is this normal practice in the NHL or sports in general?

I like Stauffer but there's no question there's not much for criticism on the show. I understand the position though.

I kind of question the Oilers for not allowing the criticism but It may not even come from them. Travelling with the team he develops relationships with the players and it's hard to say bad things about the people you know and like on a personal level.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sounds like IATL has stumbled across Jesse Ventura's next episode

Nice attempt at trying to marginalize an opinion that has some merit.

I disagree with a lot of what IATL posts but on this we completely agree.

IATL is touching on something that should get peoples attention and its much worse with the general news media. They report anything as long as it doesn't paint their financial supporters in a bad light. Many stories get edited and misreported or even deleted if it contravenes that reality. The days of a truly free press are slowly evaporating.

Sports is somewhat better (only because in the real world sports stories are basically irrelevant compared to news stories) but CHED is absolutely beholden to the Oilers org...1260 isnt.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Why do the T.V broadcast holders hire their own people to do play by play and color guy but when it comes to the Radio it's the Team that supplies the radio station with the play by play and color guys?

Does TSN employee the play by play team for the radio stations it has the rights for?

I like Stauffer but there's no question there's not much for criticism on the show. I understand the position though.

I kind of question the Oilers for not allowing the criticism but It may not even come from them. Travelling with the team he develops relationships with the players and it's hard to say bad things about the people you know and like on a personal level.

Good post. The personal relationship thing is something that is overlooked by many, including myself.

Good food for thought.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country

Teams have extreme input on who gets hired for TV broadcasts. It is normal practice for MLB, NHL, and NBA.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I think teams hire guys for local TV broadcasts same as local radio broadcasts. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't Kevin Quinn and Louie Debusk hired by the Oilers?

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007

-Poach Spector? Check?

Why the 'destroyer' is really more like a rubber dingy...

-Still allowing Tencer and Bryan Hall(!!!) to be on the air daily? Check.
-Stauffer being a toothless shill for the Oilers with his old pal Spector only appearing in the hopes of being more of a shill for Rogers? Check.
-Anyone with even the slightest interest in sports preferring Gregor to the failed chemistry experiment that is Nye & Scholz? Check.
-TSN2 letting the still-developing Strudwick appear on That's Hockey a far better opportunity than a shot on, say, Global Edmonton? Check.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why the 'destroyer' is really more like a rubber dingy...

-Still allowing Tencer and Bryan Hall(!!!) to be on the air daily? Check.
-Stauffer being a toothless shill for the Oilers with his old pal Spector only appearing in the hopes of being more of a shill for Rogers? Check.
-Anyone with even the slightest interest in sports preferring Gregor to the failed chemistry experiment that is Nye & Scholz? Check.
-TSN2 letting the still-developing Strudwick appear on That's Hockey a far better opportunity than a shot on, say, Global Edmonton? Check.

I question if he wears pants while on TV. I can see him in a suit jacket with shorts on.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
1260 owns CHED right now for sports talk personalities AINEC. Strudwick by himself is 10 times better than everyone over at CHED.

As opposed to lots of people, I like Nielson and Fraser, they're my age I get their sense of humour.

Gregor has gotten better as time goes on. He's more confident in himself now so he's toned down the ego.

Only guy I really can't stand is Lowetide. Drives me nuts and I'm not into most of his guests. I wish Jim Rome was still on at that time.

Jamieson's a good host but isn't great at carrying a conversation for things that are out of his element.

Last edited:

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008

Maybe once Rogers has the rights and we see the ratings fallout from that.

If TSN falls off the map he probably leaves and does some Rogers/CHED combo, if TSN holds in he stays.

Money probably, too. Rogers isn't known for paying people terribly well. To get Struds to move they would probably have to offer something crazily irresistable. Which I doubt. Struds is great but he's great here. Once Rogers has the rights there will probably be a bunch of guys willing to go on TV for whatever Rogers feels like paying them.

Strudwick/Majeau is great at night.

I know Reid Wilkins, I like him as a person, but he is hard to listen to most nights. Tencer was much better technically and flowed a show better.

Last edited:

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

It's normal practice because the games aren't only on CHED, they're on a series of radio stations (i.e. Oilers Radio Network) so the broadcasters can't simply work for CHED.

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
I recognize that's it's part of the job but the problem I have with most sports talk radio hosts is that they seem to get to be very full of themselves and their opinions.

Some will almost openly deride callers for opinions they disagree with and most hosts make it pretty clear that when they say "that's how I see it" it's really how everyone should see it.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I recognize that's it's part of the job but the problem I have with most sports talk radio hosts is that they seem to get to be very full of themselves and their opinions.

Some will almost openly deride callers for opinions they disagree with and most hosts make it pretty clear that when they say "that's how I see it" it's really how everyone should see it.

I agree with this to some very limited extent. I listen to many call in shows in most Canadian markets. As a generalization, half of the people on a call in show have nothing intelligent to say. Have you ever listened to a hockey call in show in Toronto? What a waste of time that is. Unfortunately most markets aren't that much better.

Yeah sometimes the host has a strong point of view and would disregard other point of views like you describe in your post. However, if your going on the radio to say ''Taylor Hall is a terrible hockey player'', ''Oilers should offer sheet big name RFA x,y,z'' or some other half baked idea you deserve whats coming to you.

If its an interview with someone in the media/coach/management then very rarely would you see something out of the norm. All hosts are respectful to their guests. I think that's pretty obvious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad