Cheap Wingers

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Trying to think of some cheap wingers that the oilers can add this summer. Feel free to add to the list. I listed what they made last year.

Nuge-McDavid- ? or rattie
? - Drai - ?
Lucic - strome- JP
Caggula-Khaira-Kassian
Aberg

Vanek - UFA - $2.5mil
Yakupov -RFA- $875k
Tkachev -unkown ?
Andres Anthanasiou - RFA -$1.39mil
Grabner - UFA - $1.65mil
Stafford - UFA -$800k
Kovalchuk - unkn0wn ?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Winnipeg has Marko Dano and Nic Petan. I'd be sniffing around there this summer as there'll be some movement.

Ales Hemsky is another ex-Oiler who might want a final kick at the can if he's recovered from his concussion from last season. He's a possibility at close to league min.

Tommy Wingels is an ex-McLellan favorite. He plays a tenacious game and can take draws if needed. Currently on Boston's playoff roster. Also in the Bruins system is former Chiarelli signee Austin Czarnik, who is poised to hit UFA status this summer after being unable to break into the Bruins roster. He has, however, made a name for himself in Providence.

Jannik Hansen. His game fell off a lot this year and could see some opportunity with the Oilers who are looking for speed, and right shot wingers.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Lmao @ Yakupov.
Yakupov has been dead silent sitting on the sidelines in Colorado and St Louis during their runs. If he was committed to improving his pro game and felt Edmonton was a safe place for him to do so, there's no reason why he'd be any worse a thirteenth forward than the likes of what we ran with this season.

Reactions: Aerrol

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
I would he down for either Vanek or Athanasiou.

They are very different players though so it would depend what the coach has planned. Andreas has speed and hands though that might be pretty cool with McDavid.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
Winnipeg has Marko Dano and Nic Petan. I'd be sniffing around there this summer as there'll be some movement.

Ales Hemsky is another ex-Oiler who might want a final kick at the can if he's recovered from his concussion from last season. He's a possibility at close to league min.

Tommy Wingels is an ex-McLellan favorite. He plays a tenacious game and can take draws if needed. Currently on Boston's playoff roster. Also in the Bruins system is former Chiarelli signee Austin Czarnik, who is poised to hit UFA status this summer after being unable to break into the Bruins roster. He has, however, made a name for himself in Providence.

Jannik Hansen. His game fell off a lot this year and could see some opportunity with the Oilers who are looking for speed, and right shot wingers.
Agree with every single one. All good cheap options.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I wouldn't mind Vanek. He's good decent for Columbus in the playoffs, and he put up good numbers with that crap Canucks team. That's a reasonable option for some RW depth and he's a competent PP guy with experience, which we can't get enough of with the buttheads running this bench.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I would try targeting young players not getting playing time with other clubs, but still putting up some results when they do.

Sprong, Ho-Sang as examples.

I'm not saying those are the two wingers we SHOULD go or what those two are realistic, but in the realm of what I mean.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I would try targeting young players not getting playing time with other clubs, but still putting up some results when they do.

Sprong, Ho-Sang as examples.

I'm not saying those are the two wingers we SHOULD go or what those two are realistic, but in the realm of what I mean.

One of Burakovsky or Vrana (I like Vrana) would be a good option, though a bit more expensive than some of the other options. One of the two is going to be on the third line, given they have Ovi ahead of them.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Alexander Khokhlachev is a former Chia draftee with around a PPG in the KHL and is a free agent. Rights are still held by Boston but he can be had for a 3rd/4th I reckon. With NHL equivalent translations, he’s good for 63 points in 82 games at best. He would be a very good bet.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
Alexander Khokhlachev is a former Chia draftee with around a PPG in the KHL and is a free agent. Rights are still held by Boston but he can be had for a 3rd/4th I reckon. With NHL equivalent translations, he’s good for 63 points in 82 games at best. He would be a very good bet.

Nah, we don't need more unproven rookies.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I was thinking cheap as in $$$ and easy to acquire, not costing anything than a 3rd rounder. More stop gap players on 1 or 2 year deals so the Oilers don't have to rush players into the NHL like previous seasons.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I was thinking cheap as in $$$ and easy to acquire, not costing anything than a 3rd rounder. More stop gap players on 1 or 2 year deals so the Oilers don't have to rush players into the NHL like previous seasons.
If those are the wingers we’re targeting, we’re going nowhere fast.

RandomGuy79

Oct 4, 2017
Surrey
I’m sorry but proven and established wingers aren’t cheap, plus Khokhlachev has been playing against men on the KHL, that’s not unproven.

Having one good KHL season means nothing, even if he remained a good KHL player it would still mean nothing. Might as well go after Omark and go through all that again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chia should kick tires on Ho-Sang, Coyle, Simmonds, Duclair and Domi

see if a GM is willing to swap one of these for Caggiula\Aberg\Kassian\Slepychev or non 1st rd picks.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Having one good KHL season means nothing, even if he remained a good KHL player it would still mean nothing. Might as well go after Omark and go through all that again.
One is 31 years old and is on a team that is at the top of the division with significantly good players.
The other is a 24 year old on a team that’s in the middle of their division.
One got a 59 game shot in the NHL.
The other only got 8 games over 2 years.

There is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a potentially cheap winger especially with the poor or overpaid UFA class of wingers at free agency. A 4th/5th is a throwaway pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad