Cheap tickets like in Sweden, a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I found this clip, Canadian television (not sure what network) made this about the NHL players currently playing in Sweden, where people can afford tickets due to sponsoring and stuff like that. They said they were surprised that there are so many young kids at games in Sweden, I've never been to an NHL game but apparently you don't see many kids there? Maybe it's a good idea to put sponsor ads on jerseys and on the ice so hockey is more affordable to the masses, instead of keeping the jerseys nice and clean but available only for those lucky people who can afford it?

Canadian clip about Swedish hockey

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Giving the owners more money doesnt solve the problem. They are making way more than they were ten years ago, and they got further into debt. They may use that as an excuse for an extra revenue source, but its hardly going to translate into lower prices or an end to their alleged intractable problems.

This is what they said when they put board advertising up. A new revenue stream will allow them to make money. That ended quick. It disgusted me at the time, but im used to it now.

Why not let the players sell the space themselves. As long as the uniform is the same, they can sell whayever advertising space on their body they want in the form of patches like in Europe. And the money is all theirs. Would they then settle for a cap?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Petey21 said:
I found this clip, Canadian television (not sure what network) made this about the NHL players currently playing in Sweden, where people can afford tickets due to sponsoring and stuff like that. They said they were surprised that there are so many young kids at games in Sweden, I've never been to an NHL game but apparently you don't see many kids there? Maybe it's a good idea to put sponsor ads on jerseys and on the ice so hockey is more affordable to the masses, instead of keeping the jerseys nice and clean but available only for those lucky people who can afford it?

Canadian clip about Swedish hockey

Two points:

1. The NHL games are rated R due to violence and language ;) I think they are just not so kid-friendly. Of course there are parents that would still do it regardless, but it *is* an issue.

2. The ticket price is not going to be affected if the jersey space is also sold. The ticket revenues and the possible jersey ad revenue are just that: revenues. The business dictates that the revenues are to be maximized, that's the goal. The owners are not going to say: "I have a $100 mil business, that's enough for me", he is going to look for a way to make it a $200 mil business. Now, if the other revenue (TV, jersey ads, board ads) were to be significantly bigger than maximum possible ticket revenues, then you could even see cheap or even free tickets in attempt to increase the market for other revenue streams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad