Speculation: Chayka 'working' with the Devils?

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I forgot the Campbell thing so that’s true but stats-y people (that I know of) mostly thought Vancouver’s half-hearted attempt to use him and then immediately let him go was was pretty pathetic. I don’t think he’s disliked among them or that’s he’s infamously abrasive (but that’s subjective and it’s not something I particularly thought about).

Dangle was talking about this in terms the reaction to the Hughes in way that didn’t make much sense to me and I still don’t particularly buy it or take Dangle seriously.

And there’s still a question of wherever Chayka actually works for Devils owners. I don’t know if they can “sort of” hire him and not piss Bettman off so I’m skeptical that he works for him while he’s suspended.

If there’s any proof that he works for them in Philly or something other than Dangle it would be different but it’s just this doofus in Toronto rambling.

That doofus works for sportsnet and has their insiders on his podcast frequently. Steve isn't freelance anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.

Reactions: HyperX

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That doofus works for sportsnet and has their insiders on his podcast frequently. Steve isn't freelance anymore. Hasn't been for a long time.
He has a podcast for Sportsnet. Still a doofus.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
Chayka is a con artist. Awful with contracts, awful with trades, and not even all that good with analytics. Kessel is as analytically unfriendly as any in the NHL. I hope he has the good sense to not deal with any of the operations with this team.
Well in the video in the OP they claim Chayka likely helped with Jack's deal

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
He bought the pens and paper used to print and sign it at Office Depot? I cannot imagine Jack's camp would care about Chayka.
They were referring to Chayka's helping ownership with analytics for the Jack contract most likely

Nobody on the Devils besides maybe Fitzgerald Brodeur and Reynolds probably knows Chayka works with Harris and Blitzer

He also likely helps with the 76ers and Crystal Palace. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if whoever the 76ers trade Simmons for turns out to be an analytical darling

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
They were referring to Chayka's helping ownership with analytics for the Jack contract most likely

Nobody on the Devils besides maybe Fitzgerald Brodeur and Reynolds probably knows Chayka works with Harris and Blitzer

He also likely helps with the 76ers and Crystal Palace. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if whoever the 76ers trade Simmons for turns out to be an analytical darling

i could have figured out Jack’s contract. Max term and the lowest number he’d take over that term. Based on Quinn’s comments it sounds like it was a very easy negotiation.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I doubt after how everything went down I Phoenix that Chayka is secretly working for the Devils and there is no indication he is working for Harris Blitzer at large (I’m not sure how valuable he would be to the 76ers or Palace, he’s a hockey guy).

As for Jack’s deal, Matt Cane who is the team’s director of analytics, is someone who previously built a model to predict and project contracts. So my guess he (and Dellow) were involved in that.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I doubt after how everything went down I Phoenix that Chayka is secretly working for the Devils and there is no indication he is working for Harris Blitzer at large (I’m not sure how valuable he would be to the 76ers or Palace, he’s a hockey guy).

As for Jack’s deal, Matt Cane who is the team’s director of analytics, is someone who previously built a model to predict and project contracts. So my guess he (and Dellow) were involved in that.
I was just going off of Steve's sources that he seems to have, as he spoke real confidently on the matter

Even if it did turn out Chayka helps ownership, It doesnt bother me

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

But is there actual, you know, proof that he works with the 76ers or the Devils? I mean any references to it in the press other than Dangle here? Because I’m not taking Dangle’s off-hand comments as a source. I certainly don’t believe he has special insider info on internal business discussions in Devils organization.

You’re also projecting here. It’s a job that’s secret from people, except Steve Dangle? Again, I really doubt Chayka is secretly working for the team when he was banned from the NHL and making a fantasy scenario where’s he’s working for the 76ers (without anything saying he for 76ers) as a secret gateway to the Devils is really stretching things.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
But is there actual, you know, proof that he works with the 76ers or the Devils? I mean any references to it in the press other than Dangle here? Because I’m not taking Dangle’s off-hand comments as a source. I certainly don’t believe he has special insider info on internal business discussions in Devils organization.

You’re also projecting here. It’s a job that’s secret from people, except Steve Dangle? Again, I really doubt Chayka is secretly working for the team when he was banned from the NHL and making a fantasy scenario where’s he’s working for the 76ers (without anything saying he for 76ers) as a secret gateway to the Devils is really stretching things.
Im not necessarily saying its secret, I just think it would be something thats hidden from the NHL as to not piss people off (before his suspension was up, which was lst week Dec 31st. If he does work with ownership I suspect its made public this year)

He could not work here and id be fine with it! Just oddly suspicious that Dangle brings up people being mad at NJ - and coincidentally no word on Chayka's future has ever come out after the Devils interviewed him

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Im not necessarily saying its secret, I just think it would be something thats hidden from the NHL as to not piss people off (before his suspension was up, which was lst week Dec 31st. If he does work with ownership I suspect its made public this year)

He could not work here and id be fine with it! Just oddly suspicious that Dangle brings up people being mad at NJ - and coincidentally no word on Chayka's future has ever come out after the Devils interviewed him
I get that you’re trying to make sense of his random comment but the best explanation is he’s wrong (and/or being unclear). Perhaps he’s discussing more the rumors about us interviewing him as proof that we’re “analytical” and hire people that rub some Hockey Men the wrong way.

The NHL, particularly the Coyotes, doesn’t have a lot of news coverage so who knows what Chayka is doing. He and his sister started Stathetes, he could have gotten involved with that again. I don’t know if people care.

There’s just no other info to go on. The risks of hiring him (and pissing the league off) would presumably outweigh any benefits of secretly hiring him. Breaking the ban by using a legal grey area (“he’s technically working for the 76ers!”) is a terrible idea. That’s what took down Chayka in Arizona, they thought they found a loophole in the rules about prospects to exploit (and repeatedly broke the rules instead).

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I get that you’re trying to make sense of his random comment but the best explanation is he’s wrong (and/or being unclear). Perhaps he’s discussing more the rumors about us interviewing him as proof that we’re “analytical” and hire people that rub some Hockey Men the wrong way.

The NHL and particularly the Coyotes doesn’t have a lot of news coverage so who knows what Chayka is doing. He and his sister started Stathetes, he could have gotten involved with that again. I don’t know if people care.

There’s just no other info to go on. The risks of hiring him (and pissing the league off) would presumably outweigh any benefits of secretly hiring him. Breaking the ban by using a legal grey area (“he’s technically working for the 76ers!”) is a terrible idea. That’s what took down Chayka in Arizona, they thought they found a loophole in the rules about prospects to exploit (and repeatedly broke the rules instead).

Just go to one of his Wendy's and ask to speak to him. My guess is if you buy enough Frostys he'll personally thank you and you can ask what you want.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I am actually working for the Devils. But Dangle doesnt like me after I told him he is a dummy and a hack fraud. So he has a bone to pick with the devils now. :sarcasm:

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
Nothing about the Devils here:

"John Chayka’s suspension is over…

Yaremchuk:
John Chayka is our second topic. He was suspended for conduct detrimental to the league. That suspension is now over. Will Chayka be back in the NHL picture anytime soon?

Seravalli: I think, ultimately, that John Chayka will end up getting another job in the NHL somewhere, someway.

I do think that the period that had gone on with the suspension ending very quietly with the new year starting has sort of put Chayka back on the radar again. I think the circumstances in which he left Arizona, clearly his side of the story is different than ownership’s side of the story, and then the suspension that was levied by Gary Bettman took him out of the picture completely.

But I believe that a couple of teams with openings have reached out to John Chayka in the past few days. You hear Jim Rutherford describe the opening in Vancouver as more of an entry-level general manager’s job, he doesn’t seem to be looking at someone who has Gm experience on his resume in terms of the five people he’s talking to.

But, in this case, moving forward, I do believe that there would be interest in John Chayka to at least explore the conversation with a couple of the other teams that have GM openings. The Chicago Blackhawks would possibly be one, the Anaheim Ducks are another. Those two searches are moving at a much slower pace than the ones in Montreal and Vancouver.

Ice Breakers: Habs and Canucks GM search, John Chayka, and Evgeni Malkin's return - Daily Faceoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad