Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Comets lead 3-1 and then lose to Belleville 6-3.

Surrendered 5 unanswered goals. Kallgren is not good. However, the Comets give up way too many breakaways, 2 on 1s, and a 3 on 1s. Goalies are not miracle workers.

Coaches who can't fix this problem aren't worth their paychecks.

This team is in real trouble. Coaches don't pass to the other team, miss passes that end up turnovers or missed scoring chances, flub shot attempts, whiff on shot attempts, shoot the puck right at the goalie or into the guy directly in front of them, miss the net, or get stopped on breakaways/2 on1s/3 on 1s.. That blame lies with the players. All of these things have resulted in action going the other way for goals against. It has become so frequent you can see it coming before it happens.

Last edited:

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
In 29 games Stillman has 6 goals and 4 assists.

Take a look what Dean and Pinelli are doing, was a tough year to scout the draft.
His 6 goals is tied for 7th on Utica.

It's not a good total any way you cut it, but it may not be as bad as it looks at first sight. The team doesn't score much in general and I can't imagine he's playing with good line mates.

We've also seen jumps from guys in recent years after meh starts in the AHL. Shara, Zetterlund, Clarke.

McLeod at 25 is scoring goals at a much higher rate in the NHL then he did in the AHL.

The team has a pretty good recent track record in terms of developing fwd's.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
His 6 goals is tied for 7th on Utica.

It's not a good total any way you cut it, but it may not be as bad as it looks at first sight. The team doesn't score much in general and I can't imagine he's playing with good line mates.

We've also seen jumps from guys in recent years after meh starts in the AHL. Shara, Zetterlund, Clarke.

McLeod at 25 is scoring goals at a much higher rate in the NHL then he did in the AHL.

Him not playing with good teammates on a bad team is an indictment. A 1st round pick should be jumping into a top 9 role in the minors immediately. He didn't do that. He's on the 3rd line now, after several injuries at the NHL level.

Sharangovich, Zetterlund, and Clarke were lower picks. Their path is expected to be longer, plus the former two were adapting to a new country and language - Zetterlund was on a deeper team and was recovering from an ACL tear. Clarke in particular is a poor comparison because he had a solid performance during the COVID season as a 19 year old and then had a worse season at 20.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
This made me realize that i’ve mostly been basing my “Devils aren’t a great developing organization” opinion on draft picks from like 20 years ago.

Even Bratt spent a few NHL seasons looking like a potential Matthieu Perrault-type who had tons of talent but might not put it together enough to break out of a middle-6 role.

Zetterlund and Sharangovich in particular give me some hope that the Devils will find a way to turn Stillman into a useful NHLer.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
This made me realize that i’ve mostly been basing my “Devils aren’t a great developing organization” opinion on draft picks from like 20 years ago.

Even Bratt spent a few NHL seasons looking like a potential Matthieu Perrault-type who had tons of talent but might not put it together enough to break out of a middle-6 role.

Zetterlund and Sharangovich in particular give me some hope that the Devils will find a way to turn Stillman into a useful NHLer.

I mean Bratt was 52nd in 5v5 P/60 with strong underlyings at 20. Was it always certain he’d be a like a PPG guy? No but he was at least a good top 6 talent starting with his sophomore year. Hynes was just a dummy who had a hard on against Bratt

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I mean Bratt was 52nd in 5v5 P/60 with strong underlyings at 20. Was it always certain he’d be a like a PPG guy? No but he was at least a good top 6 talent starting with his sophomore year. Hynes was just a dummy who had a hard on against Bratt
Yeah that’s like exactly what happened to Mathieu Perrault. But he either couldn’t overcome it or never ended up in the right situation to break out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Him not playing with good teammates on a bad team is an indictment. A 1st round pick should be jumping into a top 9 role in the minors immediately. He didn't do that. He's on the 3rd line now, after several injuries at the NHL level.

Sharangovich, Zetterlund, and Clarke were lower picks. Their path is expected to be longer, plus the former two were adapting to a new country and language - Zetterlund was on a deeper team and was recovering from an ACL tear. Clarke in particular is a poor comparison because he had a solid performance during the COVID season as a 19 year old and then had a worse season at 20.
I think we all know we reached for Stillman in that draft, he literally didn't play in his draft year, he didn't perform well in his post draft years. It was the Covid draft and it made scouting very difficult.

The fact that he was a 1st rounder pick is now irrelevant.

Like I said, his numbers this year are not good, but if he's not in the top 9 yet is 7th in goals? I think that's somewhat encouraging.

The question is can he develop in a significant way. We have been able to develop guys recently. Are they different? Of course, every player is different. Does their development mean Stillman will be able to make a similar leap? Of course not.

But maybe.

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But the question is not, can Stillman be the next Bratt. That would be crazy(although McLeod's leap this year is pretty crazy). The question is can he give us something like a Zetterlund like jump. Or even less so, can he turn into a Lazar type useful 4th liner/bottom 6'r.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

What amazing teammates do think Stillman isn’t playing with?

I only saw Stillman penciled in on the 4th line three times on the line-up.

He’s penciled on “2nd line” quite often, at least a dozen, which includes the last 3 games.

Utica is basically three 3rd lines and one visiting line from the ECHL anyway.

Don’t have line-up sheets for the 1st few so Bad Goalie posts will have to do.

Oct 13, 2023 (everyone else is injured)
IMG_2672.jpeg

Oct 15, 2023 (everyone else is injured)
IMG_2673.jpeg
IMG_2674.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line as Nov 11 ^^
IMG_2658.jpeg
IMG_2659.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line: Nov 3, Nov 4, Nov 22, Nov 24, Dec 23 ^^
IMG_2661.jpeg

IMG_2675.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line as Dec 8 ^^
IMG_2664.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line as Dec 10 ^^
IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2667.jpeg

IMG_2668.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line as Dec 29, Dec 30 ^^
IMG_2669.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

IMG_2671.jpeg

^^ Same Stillman line as Jan 12, Jan 13 ^^

The problem with projecting him even as an NHL 4th liner is
1) He’s winger, not even a W/C like Bastian.
2) Not sure he’s any good at defense or will ever be a decent PKer.
3) He has a motor, and some jam, which is nice but he doesn’t have size. 6’1”/ 185 isn’t small but it isn’t big either.
4) He’s a winger, he’ll still need to score.

He does seem to go to the net, so that’s good too.

My favorite sad commentary on Stillman is Elite Prospects dropping his “Hockey Sense” score every year.
IMG_2678.jpeg

IMG_2677.jpeg
IMG_2676.jpeg

That’s the question: is he a f***ing idiot with a great motor?

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah him being a first rounder is irrelevant, aside from the fact that if he wasn’t then he would probably already be pushed aside into the wastebin of forgettable depth prospects that probably won’t pan out.

before saturdays bump for a penalty shot goal there was not a single post in this thread since the end of november. doesn’t sound like a prospect who is doing much of anything

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
yeah him being a first rounder is irrelevant, aside from the fact that if he wasn’t then he would probably already be pushed aside into the wastebin of forgettable depth prospects that probably won’t pan out.

before saturdays bump for a penalty shot goal there was not a single post in this thread since the end of november. doesn’t sound like a prospect who is doing much of anything

Wow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad