Charlottetown Islanders 2017-18 Season

tomahawk

Jun 11, 2006
The Charlottetown Islanders are coming off their best season in franchise history both on the ice and at the gate. From the most wins, points, and goals scored in franchise history in a regular season to advancing to the third round of the playoffs for the first time ever fans were treated to a competitive team and we hated to see the season end. But end it did and now the rebuilding begins. Gone so far are goaltender Mark Grametbauer, Daniel Sprong, Kameron Kiely, Filip Chlapik, Nicolas Meloche and Guillaume Brisebois.
But with trades and the 2017 draft now complete the rebuilding has begun. New faces so far include:
- C Samuel Meisenheimer
- D Noah Massie
- C Brett Budgell
- RW Brad Morrissey
- D Anotine Leblanc
- LW Drew Johnston
- G Nolan Boyd
- D Greg Kehoe
- D Zachary Arsenault
- C Zachary Beauregard
- RW Connor Lovett
- C Drew Bennett
- G Thomas-Anthony Gale

With both the Import Draft and undoubtedly further trades still to come do you think the Charlottetown Islanders will be a playoff team again next season?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
100% a playoff team. Should be middle of the pack team who might pull out a round 1 win

Guys like Budgell, Lavoie and Johnston will have every opportunity to make this team and I kind of expect them too with how many bodies we are losing.

Rebuilld will go full tilt next year (18/19)

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
If Dostie comes back we should be pretty decent for at least the first half. People think we will be terrible, but with the potential of having guys like Dostie, Marsh, Getson up front, Joseph anchoring the D core, and a even more improved Matty Welsh, I think we can surprise.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
100% a playoff team. Should be middle of the pack team who might pull out a round 1 win

Guys like Budgell, Lavoie and Johnston will have every opportunity to make this team and I kind of expect them too with how many bodies we are losing.

You guys do have some good pieces, but personally I am putting your team in the same boat as Chicoutimi and Saint John -- rebuilding. 3 out of last year's final four (the other being BLB) should finish near the bottom for sure. The other ''bad'' team should be Moncton, but they could be much improved with their recent moves + a top pick in the Import draft. They are certainly on the upswing compared to CHA, SJ and CHI.

Charlottetown has decent pieces like Marsh, Joseph and Welsh but their depth is terrible and they don't have any top prospects that can really make a difference. Budgell may be good but will only be a rookie. Alex Dostie I have my doubts that he will be back, but it's true that it would make a huge difference for you guys. Didn't he join an AHL team during the playoffs?

The weakness of the Maritimes division could make one team a ''cinderella'' if they beat up on the others. As I said CHA, SJ and MON will all be bottom teams, so it's possible one of them is good enough to accumulate more points than they really should. Also, I don't expect CAP to be that great, so I guess Charlottetown could overtake them if the stars align. Halifax and Bathurst should be near the top of the league.

Some Quebec teams, like VD or SHA, could sink fast if they deal away a couple of their stars (i.e. Girard, Montpetit) but as of right now I would say they are slated to finish ahead of the Islanders.

Realistically, Charlottetown will be in tough to make the playoffs.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Charlottetown does not have their own first next year, we still have a talented group (Especially if Dostie comes back). Hulton will undoubtedly find cheap depth to fill out this team this summer to push us a little farther.

If we had our 1st this year then yes I'd agree with you, we'd go full rebuild, but since we don't and there is literally no benefit to us sitting back and finishing near the bottom. Every year there is cheap vets out there for the bottom/middle 6, and a bottom 4 defender. Hulton also looking at FA's to fill gaps. But all in all as I've said there is no benefit to us sitting back and just finishing last, it doesn't help our inevitable rebuild, it doesn't help our standing with the fans, it doesn't help the team financially.

NB Hockey Fan

Jun 13, 2017

Did I read somewhere that Budgell may be taking the NCAA route or is that just a rumour?

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
If Dostie comes back we should be pretty decent for at least the first half. People think we will be terrible, but with the potential of having guys like Dostie, Marsh, Getson up front, Joseph anchoring the D core, and a even more improved Matty Welsh, I think we can surprise.

cancel

chsb

Jun 14, 2003
Visit site
You guys do have some good pieces, but personally I am putting your team in the same boat as Chicoutimi and Saint John -- rebuilding. 3 out of last year's final four (the other being BLB) should finish near the bottom for sure. The other ''bad'' team should be Moncton, but they could be much improved with their recent moves + a top pick in the Import draft. They are certainly on the upswing compared to CHA, SJ and CHI.

Charlottetown has decent pieces like Marsh, Joseph and Welsh but their depth is terrible and they don't have any top prospects that can really make a difference. Budgell may be good but will only be a rookie. Alex Dostie I have my doubts that he will be back, but it's true that it would make a huge difference for you guys. Didn't he join an AHL team during the playoffs?

The weakness of the Maritimes division could make one team a ''cinderella'' if they beat up on the others. As I said CHA, SJ and MON will all be bottom teams, so it's possible one of them is good enough to accumulate more points than they really should. Also, I don't expect CAP to be that great, so I guess Charlottetown could overtake them if the stars align. Halifax and Bathurst should be near the top of the league.

Some Quebec teams, like VD or SHA, could sink fast if they deal away a couple of their stars (i.e. Girard, Montpetit) but as of right now I would say they are slated to finish ahead of the Islanders.

Realistically, Charlottetown will be in tough to make the playoffs.

This is probably the best description for the Isles next season.
I expect them to finish last or 2nd last in the Maritimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad