Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Anything that can be bought or sold is a tradable asset. An asset whose value is determined by a free and fair market. Is it wise to become enamored and create personal attachments to "things" other than yourself and your family?

Just saying.

No need for ad hominem attacks.
A quick review of your last 20 or so posts makes me doubt you are even a Bruins fan. I just can't figure out which team you root for

Reactions: LSCII

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Most people just want him to play better because we believe he can. Ray Bourque's salary is completely irrelevant.

I also don't think McAvoy's cap hit is too high. It's fine. He's a fantastic player, and certainly a top 10 defenseman in the league in my eyes.

I believe he will get better. I have a lot pf patience for him. It seems a few others (I'm assuming a minority) are kinda fed up with his play lately. But I'll bet most of those would not want to trade him for many players in the league.

Feb 25, 2016
A quick review of your last 20 or so posts makes me doubt you are even a Bruins fan. I just can't figure out which team you root for
Oh, he we go. Being objective means you're a troll. I've been a Bruins fan since 1970. Try reading the many sports writers in numerous publications who are talking the same talk as I am about McAvoy.

Feb 25, 2016
Most people just want him to play better because we believe he can. Ray Bourque's salary is completely irrelevant.

I also don't think McAvoy's cap hit is too high. It's fine. He's a fantastic player, and certainly a top 10 defenseman in the league in my eyes.

I believe he will get better. I have a lot pf patience for him. It seems a few others (I'm assuming a minority) are kinda fed up with his play lately. But I'll bet most of those would not want to trade him for many players in the league.
I'm not the only one that is making comparisons and criticism.

Objective normally isn't normally finding fault 100% of the time. Granted I only read the last 25 posts.
Yes, I'm just a Debbie The Downer.

Reactions: Dreghorn2

esmith3283

Feb 14, 2010
The last thing I'm going to get on Charlie about is his energy, or passion. You can tell how much he cares etc. etc.

From watching this series, and at times during the year, I actually feel like he tries to do to much and/or be too much and needs to simplify his game and dial it down. He is essentially above average at most everything a D man can do and as a result I feel like he tries to be a combination of Cale Makar and Scott Stevens out there, it's not possible. Honestly I think he needs to lower his pulse a bit.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I know this is a McAvoy thread, but I can't help but respond.

Don't recall anyone ever saying Krejci had a bad attitude.

How did he quit on the team? He went home after his contract expired, like he always said he would. He was 35 years old.

That would be a beautiful thing.
Did he not abruptly retire and then come back a year later, after they replaced Cassidy? Seems pretty obvious why he left after see how he came back, no?

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Oh now he's maybe had a 'rough season'? I thought it was just one game?

And as for Krejci you know that's an exaggeration if not, I would argue, outright false. Not the place to go over this old and well-trodden ground again, and besides it's not the point. Rather it's this - you thought DK was fair game, including in playoffs, because subjective reasons that you claim but are entirely a matter of opinion. I can follow the exact same pathway with McAvoy - I believe he is capable of playing to a certain level, and is paid to play at a certain level, said level is not being met in this postseason, therefore I can criticize his performance on that basis. Different reasoning, equally disputable, but the same process.

Really it's much better to keep it simple - see it and say it. If I think a player is performing well I'll say so, if I think they're struggling relative to reasonable expectations I'll say that too. Don't care who they are, don't care what brownie points they've stored in the past, especially at this time of year. Good, bad, indifferent, call it for what it is. If others disagree then thrash it out, as is tradition.

End of the day, I don't even think Charlie's playing that bad. But of late he hasn't been where he needs to be or could be, and because he's such an important player to this team, that's a bit of a problem. Would be huge for the Bruins if he can step up and find his best form. Little would please me more.
Depends on what you're considering. In the case of folks like you and his other detractors, it appears you're basing a lot of it on +/- which is silly, IMO. His +/- this year was the lowest in his career, so I said rough season based on that. If you want to look at goals, he had a career high so maybe plus minus isn't the end all to be all stat so think it is? Especially since you really need context to make it even remotely meaningful.

Now that being said, I think he can and will be better. I also think that the better teams are exposing the holes we all knew were in this lineup and on this roster. When you slot up guys above what they truly are, it eventually gets exposed. If you want McAvoy to play better, you can't be shuffling random people in and out on his opposite side and expect him to succeed. Consistency is a big factor for why some don't think he's played well. In reality, I think he's played very well but is only capable of doing so much.

TL;DR: you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. You have to give him an actual good defensive partner to play with instead of needing him to cover up the holes of whomever you pair him with.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
At age 22, Charlie finished 10th in Norris voting.

The next 2 seasons he was in the top 5. Better than both Hedman & Josi at the same age.

Safe to say expectations would be Norris trophy level seasons as he should be just entering his prime.
Sure, I'll take that. What has he done throughout the entirety of this season that makes you say he wasn't a top tier defenseman? Top 20 in goals. Top 25 in points. Was still a plus 4 despite a cobbled together defensive core made up of a lot of nobodies and low end tweeners and his defensive partner switching every game and sometimes in game. So what constitutes Norris caliber play to you?

pearljamvs5

Jun 19, 2011
Did he not abruptly retire and then come back a year later, after they replaced Cassidy? Seems pretty obvious why he left after see how he came back, no?
I mean if you consider routinely talking about wanting to play back in your home country and retiring after your contract expires to be "abrupt" then I guess so. Krejci honored his contract, fulfilled a dream he wanted for years afterwards, and then came back after he accomplished said goal for one more kick at the cup.

McAvoy is playing, by far, the most minutes of anybody on this team, and they are hard minutes. He is obviously fatigued and not playing at the top of his game. He obviously care and is passionate, but is trying to do too much on his own. He is going to be more noticeable, good or bad, than any other play since he is out there the most.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Depends on what you're considering. In the case of folks like you and his other detractors, it appears you're basing a lot of it on +/- which is silly, IMO. His +/- this year was the lowest in his career, so I said rough season based on that. If you want to look at goals, he had a career high so maybe plus minus isn't the end all to be all stat so think it is? Especially since you really need context to make it even remotely meaningful.

Now that being said, I think he can and will be better. I also think that the better teams are exposing the holes we all knew were in this lineup and on this roster. When you slot up guys above what they truly are, it eventually gets exposed. If you want McAvoy to play better, you can't be shuffling random people in and out on his opposite side and expect him to succeed. Consistency is a big factor for why some don't think he's played well. In reality, I think he's played very well but is only capable of doing so much.

TL;DR: you can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. You have to give him an actual good defensive partner to play with instead of needing him to cover up the holes of whomever you pair him with.

Plus/minus is just one stat, and one to be used cautiously. It's relevant and it's an easy one to quote but, and I can only speak for myself, to me it's only a small piece of the puzzle on McAvoy or anyone else. It needs context. The Bruins general defensive issues and decline this year have been mentioned up-thread, as has the loss of #37 and some others, and the continual shuffling of Charlie's defensive partners that you raise is absolutely a factor too. Things are definitely tougher for McAvoy than they've ever been in the past. How much can we reasonably expect him to rise above them?

And how else can we supplement the eye test? If you look at the advanced stats for the playoffs 3-4 years ago, McAvoy's the team leader or close to it in most of the key metrics (corsi, shots for, xGF, HDCF etc.). He was clearly the team's best defender and the numbers backed it up. Last year though he comes back to the pack. Still near the top, and with one exception he was 50% or above in the main areas like SF%. So not outstanding, but not bad. This year though those numbers have taken a hit again, and he's very much middle of the road statistically despite being the 1D and getting more offensive zone starts than any of the other regulars except Shatty and Lohrei.

Probably the most stark fact is this - Carlo gets just 13% of offensive zone starts compared to McAvoy's 66%, but the team still has better GF, SF and xGF% when he's on the ice than when Charlie is. Fair to point out that Chucky has to soak up more minutes and more responsibilities, but still, Carlo is getting it done in spades so far and showing what's possible, even with a more defensive-heavy shut down role, and McAvoy just isn't quite at that level at present.

He's not miles away, and there are extenuating circumstances as have been raised. But he can be better and he can avoid errors that are entirely of his own making, and as the team's most talented and highest TOI defender the Bruins need him to. If the coach can help him out by giving him a more consistent pairing or helping to settle his mind a bit, that'd be great too.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
the most frustrating part of his game is his lack of desire to shoot the puck. shoot. the. puck.
it's always an extra move or an extra pass. they should force him to shoot 10,000 pucks a day
in the summer.

Reactions: Bodit9 and LSCII

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007

He deserves the same treatment that Mitch Marner and Darnell Nurse get. You can’t make that much money and be this bad when it matters. To have a guy making 9 million and be a liability just doesn’t work

Reactions: BamBamCam

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
He deserves the same treatment that Mitch Marner and Darnell Nurse get. You can’t make that much money and be this bad when it matters. To have a guy making 9 million and be a liability just doesn’t work
I don’t think he’s been Marner levels of disappointment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad