Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy IV

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I think the suspension affected his game a little. I think he’s toned down the hitting. That is what makes his game effective. He needs to just do his game and forget about it. Just don’t be cheap. As far as all these other D, they have their faults as well. We just dont watch them as much.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He is a less offensive Drew Doughty. That's fine- he's a number one defenceman, but it is clear he is a notch below the real elite defenceman of the NHL.

It's his offensive instincts (or lack thereof) that really separate him from the true top end guys.

So he's probably not a Top 5 D-man in this league. But there is no shame with being in the Top 10 (which I believe he is).

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
It's his offensive instincts (or lack thereof) that really separate him from the true top end guys.

So he's probably not a Top 5 D-man in this league. But there is no shame with being in the Top 10 (which I believe he is).
He still absolutely can be a top-5 guy. Wasn't this year for sure, but I think for the previous 2-3 seasons before this year he was right there. IIRC barely missed a Norris nomination a few years in a row. Injuries and suspensions have stopped him from consistently being there.

He did not have a good round 1 - would be huge if he could step up. He'll need to be good and physical against Florida. He doesn't need to be a world-beater if our defense plays like they can/should, but he needs to be better along with all of our top guys.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
He still absolutely can be a top-5 guy. Wasn't this year for sure, but I think for the previous 2-3 seasons before this year he was right there. IIRC barely missed a Norris nomination a few years in a row. Injuries and suspensions have stopped him from consistently being there.

He did not have a good round 1 - would be huge if he could step up. He'll need to be good and physical against Florida. He doesn't need to be a world-beater if our defense plays like they can/should, but he needs to be better along with all of our top guys.

I think offensively he is what he is. But part of him not being Top 5 right now is his competition. Here you have a year from Victor Hedman who was basically a PPG and won't get be a Norris nominee.

The top 5 D right now to me is Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman and Fox. McAvoy and Fox are awfully close without the puck but I got to give he nod to Fox with the puck. McAvoy is that next tier with the likes of Dahlin and Heiskanen.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I think offensively he is what he is. But part of him not being Top 5 right now is his competition. Here you have a year from Victor Hedman who was basically a PPG and won't get be a Norris nominee.

The top 5 D right now to me is Makar, Hughes, Josi, Hedman and Fox. McAvoy and Fox are awfully close without the puck but I got to give he nod to Fox with the puck. McAvoy is that next tier with the likes of Dahlin and Heiskanen.
Totally agree on all counts. Guys like Chara/Keith/Doughty would be perennial candidates/winners for (I'm greatly simplifying/understating here) being steady, all-around defenseman. The game has changed and winners recently have been guys with absurd points, not at all to discount their impact/talent.

He's a top guy when he's on his game but it's tough to win a Norris now without catching lightning in a bottle - look at Karlsson last year to this. He paces at around 50 points per season for his career which is great, but unspectacular, and I think it's tough for him to win without the guys you mentioned being hurt/having a down year. I think he's in the running and will be in and out of the top-5 in his prime. Nothing at all wrong with that.

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
Charlie is an elite skater and puck mover. He plays with some snarl. He is the total package.

Charlie just needs to work on the accuracy of his shot. Look at the goal Lindholm scored in game seven. He aimed that accurately. I would like to see Charlie do that. His shot can be improved. That will make him elite.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
He is a less offensive Drew Doughty. That's fine- he's a number one defenceman, but it is clear he is a notch below the real elite defenceman of the NHL.
McAvoy actually has a slightly better points per game average in the regular season.

Doughty's is slightly higher in the playoffs. And he's the better goal scorer.

Reactions: HustleB

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When he was riding shotgun with Chara he was a more aggressive player jumping into the play. Understandably since he's been with Gryz he's been way more tentative and less willing to take chances.

What they need to do is get him a defensive stalwart as a partner (Peake?) and let him take chances again.

False Start

May 8, 2018
Charlie is an elite skater and puck mover. He plays with some snarl. He is the total package.

Charlie just needs to work on the accuracy of his shot. Look at the goal Lindholm scored in game seven. He aimed that accurately. I would like to see Charlie do that. His shot can be improved. That will make him elite.
He’s definitely improved it since he came into the league at least.

But I agree could still see more improvement.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sure and the older defenseman above him or at his level won’t be! Such is life and time!
Sure and the older defenseman above him or at his level won’t be! Such is life and time!

There is just Hedman and Josi who are old, I rate above McAvoy.

Bergeron definitely helped juice up McAvoy's game.

McAvoy's hockey IQ isn't near as strong as his physical skills.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Charlie is a top 10 NHL Dman

In this thread we complain about it :laugh:
I think it’s because many feel he can be even better. I don’t view it as “complaining” so much as hoping for improvement because we know it’s possible, and feels likely.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
The guy's playing 25-30min a night for us and is an absolute horse. I don't care who you are, when you are playing those kinds of minutes (a lot of them high leverage), you're gonna have a tough shift every once in a while.

I think people are way too harsh on this guy. His best hockey is still in front of him and he's a future Captain. Yeah, he's not Cale Makar.....

Last edited:

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The guy's playing 25-30min a night for us and is an absolute horse. I don't care who you are, when you are playing those kinds of minutes (a lot of them high leverage), you're gonna have a tough shift every once in a while.

I think people are way too harsh on this guy. His best hockey is still in front of him and he's a future Captain. Yeah, he's not Cale Makar.....
24:30 TOI last night. Hampus played 22:28. Every other D man with the exception of Lohrei played just over 18 minutes. Loheri played 16:05.

He also had 5 hits. Forbort back meant that he didn't have to block so many shots.

They need to take minutes off of Mac. As you said, he's an absolute horse but they need to help the horse.

I loved that he was clearing guys in front of the net.

He's not a bad as people are making it seem. Give more minutes to Loheri to balance the D and we will see a better Charlie.

Reactions: HustleB and Cam14b

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Is Mac perfect? No.

However, this is one of those you don't know what you have until you don't scenarios. Our defense would be a shell of itself without him. And that's no exaggeration.

Charlie McAvoy can play on my team any damn time he wants.

goldenblack

Apr 15, 2024
The moment he sorts out his spacing (away from the puck) in the O zone and shoots more, he becomes a Vezina level guy. We'll see if he gets there.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Is Mac perfect? No.

However, this is one of those you don't know what you have until you don't scenarios. Our defense would be a shell of itself without him. And that's no exaggeration.

Charlie McAvoy can play on my team any damn time he wants.

Pretty sure just about everyone here knows that.

Still, the Bruins record with Charlie out, start of last season and during suspension this season, was very good.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
24:30 TOI last night. Hampus played 22:28. Every other D man with the exception of Lohrei played just over 18 minutes. Loheri played 16:05.

He also had 5 hits. Forbort back meant that he didn't have to block so many shots.

They need to take minutes off of Mac. As you said, he's an absolute horse but they need to help the horse.

I loved that he was clearing guys in front of the net.

He's not a bad as people are making it seem. Give more minutes to Loheri to balance the D and we will see a better Charlie.

Too much is made of his ice time. He could probably handle even more time on ice. He never looks worn down at the end of games.

Same for Swayman. He can play every game in the playoffs. It's what goalies do in the playoffs.

Reactions: HustleB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad