Player Discussion Charlie Lindgren

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
What worries me about Lindgren is that he needs to do spectacular saves all the time. It is NOT a sign of being a spectacular goalie, it is a sign of being out of position and scrambling. Price made it look easy because he moved left to right and remained square to the shooter better than anyone...probably in NHL history. Lindgren on the other hand has to throw himself out there to make the same save.
I am concerned it will eventually catch up with him.

Andrew Hammond....
Well. Crappy defence can also be a big factor. If someone that should be covered gets the puck, obviously the goalie is forced to try and make a huge save. Doesnt mean he was out of position.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
charlie.jpg

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm going to preface this by saying I like Lindgren, and I think he's better than Montoya but I understand he needs to play but he was better than Montoya in the preseason / training camp.

I totally agree with the Quick comparison, Charlie's a gamer and very agile.

My only complaint is his rebound control, which is where similar style goalies like Quick have him clearly beat. Far too many shots are coming into him and back into play, and i fear over a larger sample size this is going to be exposed a bit.

So far so good, and I'm content to ride his success because he seems like a great kid and a great prospect.

But I think you are going to see teams, like Columbus tonight, starting to crash the net on him more because the rebounds are there to be had.

Another great game for Lindgren against a very good team last night. It's proven that when you have a solid goaltender and your team plays good team defense in front of him, you will do well as a team and limit goals against. The rebound control is something he will learn at the NHL level. He may never be as good as Quick or Price in that department but this kid is legit. He's proven himself at every stage he has been for a few years now. How many goaltenders do you know that has done what Lindgren has done at the age of 23? Think about this for a few minutes... he is only 23!

Not saying he is the next Price but lets see what Price did as a 23 year old?

Price first 3 seasons (age 20-22):
- 134 NHL games (60-48-3)
- 2.73 GAA
- .912 Sv%

Price 3rd season (age 23)
- 72 NHL games (38-28-6)
- 2.35 GAA
- .923 Sv%

People forget how many years it took Price to be who we remember him from age 23-29. His 1st few seasons were nothing to brag about. If you believed the Price hype back in 2009 when Price was age 23, you should believe in the hype with Lindgren in 2017 when he is age 23.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What worries me about Lindgren is that he needs to do spectacular saves all the time. It is NOT a sign of being a spectacular goalie, it is a sign of being out of position and scrambling. Price made it look easy because he moved left to right and remained square to the shooter better than anyone...probably in NHL history. Lindgren on the other hand has to throw himself out there to make the same save.
I am concerned it will eventually catch up with him.

Andrew Hammond....

Quick makes these kinds of saves all the time and the Kings have a very good defense.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I absolutely love Lindgren and like many I'm worried about the rebounds, but as someone said, not sure who, it's that first save that's been killing us not goals on rebound.

Reactions: THE HOFF

Jul 6, 2016
with each impressive game he has he's making it more interesting and certainly uping his trade value.

His trade value ? You don't trade a guy like Lindgren until Price has re-gain his full mojo again and win games for the club.

Do you really want to live with Niemi and Montoya for the rest of the season ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His trade value ? You don't trade a guy like Lindgren until Price has re-gain his full mojo again and win games for the club.

It sounds like Montoya is the one that's out for a long time. Once Price is back and as long as he shows he's his old self, they may need to package Lindgren to get us scoring help. Since the deadline is a couple months away, we have time to figure it out but something will need to be done as we sorely need help.

Reactions: Runner77

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
What worries me about Lindgren is that he needs to do spectacular saves all the time. It is NOT a sign of being a spectacular goalie, it is a sign of being out of position and scrambling.

Tokarski was the exact same way at the beginning :eek:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Wow. Give the guy a few more games. You can tell he’s going to bust after only a few games? There’s absolutely no way you can know that. I played net for decades and most of it is between the ears. He could easily be undefeated right now. You think other teams would be calling about him if they thought he would be a bust?

Not saying he's a bust. I'm simply saying that alot of goalies go through a really rough patch at some point in their career..... Usually early on. This includes some of the guys who are considered the best in the business today.

I don't know how lindgren will respond when that time comes, but there is a fine line with guys like him to be a solid NHL goalie, and becoming ben scrivens.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Another great game for Lindgren against a very good team last night. It's proven that when you have a solid goaltender and your team plays good team defense in front of him, you will do well as a team and limit goals against. The rebound control is something he will learn at the NHL level. He may never be as good as Quick or Price in that department but this kid is legit. He's proven himself at every stage he has been for a few years now. How many goaltenders do you know that has done what Lindgren has done at the age of 23? Think about this for a few minutes... he is only 23!

Not saying he is the next Price but lets see what Price did as a 23 year old?

Price first 3 seasons (age 20-22):
- 134 NHL games (60-48-3)
- 2.73 GAA
- .912 Sv%

Price 3rd season (age 23)
- 72 NHL games (38-28-6)
- 2.35 GAA
- .923 Sv%

People forget how many years it took Price to be who we remember him from age 23-29. His 1st few seasons were nothing to brag about. If you believed the Price hype back in 2009 when Price was age 23, you should believe in the hype with Lindgren in 2017 when he is age 23.

Price at 23, like you said, put up excellent numbers but that was over 72 games which is heavy workload. If Lindgren can put up similar numbers playing 50-60 games, then there’s definitely something there. But so far it’s only been 5 games a few games here and there the past two seasons. We would have to see how he handles a long season. Giving up 1-2 goals a game every night isn’t going to last forever.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

AnctilNDG

Oct 20, 2017
NDG
Minimum 4 games (62 goalies, #1 and #2's)
Price GAA55th S%57th
Montoya GAA55th (Tied) S%58th
Niemi GAA62nd S%62nd

Hottest in the league with the most slumping playin for the same team but for niemi he has no team...maybe...but not yet

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
You cant really measure a guy until he's been through adversity, but so far so good.

Im also old enough to have watched the magical goaltending of Steve Penney so you'll have to forgive me for being a tad skeptical that he's the same calibre as Price as the same age.

But im enjoying his play nonetheless and its a good feeling going into a game knowing your goalie is going to batlle and give you a chance.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Fear is not the word I would use here, it's fine to be cautiously optimistic, but for goalies you don't really know what you have on your hand until they reach ±50 games played.
And until they are clear cut #1. It's one thing to play well in tandem when you know the #1 is gonna be back soon, it's another to play with all the pressure of being #1.

Pacciosoftie

Curved Dach
Oct 26, 2017

We’re not going to win the cup this year so why not retool and get a top 3 pick this year.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Isles fan coming in peace.

With Halaks contract expiring and Greiss another year above 30, the islanders could use a young goalie with starting potential.

I Price isn’t going anywhere snd when he’s healthy he’s one of the best in the world. Lindgren looks like he could be the next goalie that could become legit starter like Schneider and Jones were. Right now he’s young and cheap and if l were MTL I’d want to keep him for insurance. That being said, if MTL were willing to move him what are some of the team needs?

Also, what’s up with Fucale? He’s been a real disappointment it seems.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
You cant really measure a guy until he's been through adversity, but so far so good.

Im also old enough to have watched the magical goaltending of Steve Penney so you'll have to forgive me for being a tad skeptical that he's the same calibre as Price as the same age.

But im enjoying his play nonetheless and its a good feeling going into a game knowing your goalie is going to batlle and give you a chance.
I really agree with what you are saying 100%, I just wanted to point out that imho, he stepped into adversity the minute he had to fill in for price, especially with the kind of offensive output the team displays at the moment.

Reactions: habergeon

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
I really agree with what you are saying 100%, I just wanted to point out that imho, he stepped into adversity the minute he had to fill in for price, especially with the kind of offensive output the team displays at the moment.

That's a really good point, as it sure wasn't an easy situation to be put into, but I guess I was thinking more along the lines about how he responds to a bad game.

The fact he hasn't had one is a good thing and I'm willing to wait!

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Isles fan coming in peace.

With Halaks contract expiring and Greiss another year above 30, the islanders could use a young goalie with starting potential.

I Price isn’t going anywhere snd when he’s healthy he’s one of the best in the world. Lindgren looks like he could be the next goalie that could become legit starter like Schneider and Jones were. Right now he’s young and cheap and if l were MTL I’d want to keep him for insurance. That being said, if MTL were willing to move him what are some of the team needs?

Also, what’s up with Fucale? He’s been a real disappointment it seems.

I don't think Lindgren will be moved anytime soon so talking about needs right now is pretty much useless, those needs could change when they finally decide to move him because that day will definitely come because I don't see Price being moved.

Fucale is not amazing but he's still progressing IMO, he was decent in front of our farm team's net this year.

Reactions: SI90

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad