Player Discussion Charlie Coyle #1 center predictions

Prediction: Charlie Coyle as the #1 center (#1 center meaning he gets to play with either 63 or 88)

• He will thrive as the 1c.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • He will be a serviceable #1c.

Votes: 23 17.8%
  • He's terrible (big minus player) but they keep him there because they don't have better options.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • He will be the 2c and not get to play with 63 or 88.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • He will be the 3c by Xmas if not sooner. Charlie Coyle is not a top6 C.

Votes: 53 41.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
Coyle has been adequate.

On the one hand, great, he's adequate, which is better than we thought we were getting

On the other hand, he's merely adequate, and that might not be good enough to get us where we need to go.

Whatever happens, we've been asking Coyle to play over his head all year and he's done a fair job of upping his game. I'm alright with him. He's a nonproblem.

If we can upgrade at a reasonable cap hit, then pull the trigger, move Zacha back to wing and drop Coyle to his proper spot in the lineup -- middle 6 centerman.

For now though, since there's no way to put a better player in for Zacha or Coyle, I think it's fair to praise them for rising to the occasion as well as they have. This experiment did not have to go as well as it did.

Reactions: BMC and JAD

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I could live with Coyle as the 2C behind a genuine, offensively-gifted 1C. Giving him a line that you want to be two-way with a greater defensive responsibility while the top line with Pasta and whoever have the more offense-geared role, the way the Czech line did last year, would be fine. If Poitras can supplant him in time, great, but you'd need to see how he continues to develop first.

I think the problem hasn't been Charlie specifically but having him as part of a top 6 duo neither of whom is elite at the task. Replace Zacha, who's the lesser of the two as a center, with a legit talent, and that should allow Coyle to settle in a more consistent and slightly lower-pressure position. I think that could work.

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
From the beginning of the season, the knowledgeable fans knew this team wouldn’t have a chance to go deep in the playoffs without a top 6 center, preferably 2, but at least 1 would give them some kind of chance. They have 0.

How many teams have won the cup in the past, say, 15 years without at least 1 top 6 center?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Much like 2 years ago with Haula, you can make it work in the regular season, and he (and many others) really stepped up big time to make it work. But its not sustainable. Not at all a dig against him as he’s a fantastic player and a huge asset to the team. But he’s playing above his league and it has shown. Beyond game 1 we’ve just had a horrendous time with transition and sustaining pressure.

Center is a massive hole on this team. We knew it going into the season, but we need a solution.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Panthers are the heavy favourites to win cup and rock solid at every position and the bruins are not. Thinking Coyle would do well playing 2nd line center Florida.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
3 assists, 1 goal, 4 pts through 11 games.

This is reminding me of the time people told me Haula was a top 6 center.

Lots of crow for them too
I could live with the lack of points, he's not an offensive player. He make 5m a year to be third line center playing against players of equal talent. The contract alone is enough to be frustrated over for the roll he was playing before some idiot thought he was a better player than he is.

The lack of push back from this kid for his size and for all the talking he does is my issue.

He needs to be sent away with Ullmark in a trade to bring in some draft capital. Start getting rid of players like him ,Carlo, Lindholm to start

Get rid of the entire coaching staff behind the bench, they are as soft as the team.

Resign Jake, Love him or hate him, he's talented.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
For the 10,294,863rd time stop blaming Coyle for that contract. You can scream all you like about poor asset & cap management but that's neither Coyle nor his agent's responsibility.

Charlie's done a much better job than I (his biggest fan) thought he could do. I've eaten a lot of crow this season.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I’m honestly a bit surprised at how critical many are of Coyle in these playoffs. I’ve seen all but the last game and personally I think he’s consistently been the Bruins’ best forward.

Low bar? Okay fair. Is he the ideal #1C? Well, no. But if the rest of the roster played more to his level, I don’t think we’d be so frustrated with our team.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I’m honestly a bit surprised at how critical many are of Coyle in these playoffs. I’ve seen all but the last game and personally I think he’s consistently been the Bruins’ best forward.

Low bar? Okay fair. Is he the ideal #1C? Well, no. But if the rest of the roster played more to his level, I don’t think we’d be so frustrated with our team.

Thank God, someone else who sees this. I've been hesitant to say anything because everybody knows what a fan I am of #13 so when I praise him there's a credibility issue. Nice to know I'm not seeing him entirely through fan colored glasses!

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

I really liked his game 5 but the criticism is somewhat warranted. One goal and four assists in 12 games. 46% at the dot. That's in over 18 and a half minutes of ice time. They need more. That's just not acceptable. Physically however I have loved his game. In the end though Swayman is saving all of these guys a hell of a lot of criticism, basically carrying them to this point.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If you watch him he’s a real good player

I’m not up for arguing with stats guys who I probably trounced in math on my SATS (the many who know my kid she can confirm Good Will Hunting level)

This place once it’s over will be 25 dudes picking their targets and using stats to tell us how they suck

So I’m sure we will get the usual blah blah blah Coyle sucks

For the Coyle friends & family - congrats he was very good all 3 zones and appreciated by my text groups even if Cooldude69 on Twitter, Rocket Richard on a message board, and Tom from Quincy calling F&M ‘Mike yah right .,,,,,blah blah blah’

He is definitely a second line center which was always questioned

25/60 should be reachable next couple of years and if wasn’t blocked by 37 & 46 likely norm

Reactions: BMC

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

I’m not up for arguing with stats guys who I probably trounced in math on my SATS (the many who know my kid she can confirm Good Will Hunting level)

This place once it’s over will be 25 dudes picking their targets and using stats to tell us how they suck

For the Coyle friends & family - congrats he was very good all 3 zones and appreciated by my text groups even if Cooldude69 on Twitter, Rocket Richard on a message board, and Tom from Quincy calling F&M ‘Mike yah right .,,,,,blah blah blah’

25/60 should be reachable next couple of years and if wasn’t blocked by 37 & 46 likely norm
🤣🤣🤣dude your posts are out of control I love it

• Haha
Reactions: FU Shoresy

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Okay, I'll give you that ... during the regular season he can adequately play in the top six. He has size, protects the puck very well, very sound positionally and defensively. And I think he could top 25 to 30 goals if he would park himself in the slot and shoot Esposito Style with his wingers feeding him. Unfortunately, he is not a play making center that his wingers feed off of, so creative plays off the rush feeding his wingers does not really play to his strength.

However, playoffs ... I would like to see him raise the level of his game. As you know, playoffs are about matchups, adjustments, and having to play against the best of the best. In this scenario his play regresses back to a middle six player or high level third line Center.
Personally, I don't dislike him. I think he's a very good player, but I think he's being asked to play above his level of peak effectiveness. I would love for him to prove me wrong. For the team's sake, along with some of the other players, he needs to find a way to make it happen.

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
If you push Coyle down to 3rd C, he produces and is one of the best. If you push Zacha down to 2nd C, I'm not convinced he produces in the playoffs. I know he's been bad this year, but it's been his entire career. Team needs a 1 & 2 C, and Coyle is good for 3rd C.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
This entire thread kind of fills me with a bit of “who cares?”.

When Bergie and Krejci retired we had no options for Center other than how it’s played out. Even at the TDL we were so handcuffed by the cap nothing could change that.

I also don’t recall Charlie Coyle taking out a full page ad in the Globe saying “I am the solution to the Bruins 1C needs. End of story.”

Cut the guy some slack. He’s a good warrior and has performed admirably. We are in 2nd round and nobody here predicted that. Charlie Coyle as #1C or not.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
This entire thread kind of fills me with a bit of “who cares?”.

When Bergie and Krejci retired we had no options for Center other than how it’s played out. Even at the TDL we were so handcuffed by the cap nothing could change that.

I also don’t recall Charlie Coyle taking out a full page ad in the Globe saying “I am the solution to the Bruins 1C needs. End of story.”

Cut the guy some slack. He’s a good warrior and has performed admirably. We are in 2nd round and nobody here predicted that. Charlie Coyle as #1C or not.
I wasn't around much but people thought this team wasn't going to make the play-offs or beat Toronto or win a round?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Okay, I'll give you that ... during the regular season he can adequately play in the top six. He has size, protects the puck very well, very sound positionally and defensively. And I think he could top 25 to 30 goals if he would park himself in the slot and shoot Esposito Style with his wingers feeding him. Unfortunately, he is not a play making center that his wingers feed off of, so creative plays off the rush feeding his wingers does not really play to his strength.

However, playoffs ... I would like to see him raise the level of his game. As you know, playoffs are about matchups, adjustments, and having to play against the best of the best. In this scenario his play regresses back to a middle six player or high level third line Center.
Personally, I don't dislike him. I think he's a very good player, but I think he's being asked to play above his level of peak effectiveness. I would love for him to prove me wrong. For the team's sake, along with some of the other players, he needs to find a way to make it happen.
where I'm at. Goalie has a .933 sv and 2.16 gaa and sparing the rest of the guys a lot of criticism. Coyle has 1 goal and 5 pts in 12 games. His game as a whole is fantastic, but with normal goaltending you can't get away with your top 2 centers having 1 goal between them and it's not asking to much to chip in some more O.. Geekie has been a nice surprise down the middle.

Reactions: Patdud

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
where I'm at. Goalie has a .933 sv and 2.16 gaa and sparing the rest of the guys a lot of criticism. Coyle has 1 goal and 5 pts in 12 games. His game as a whole is fantastic, but with normal goaltending you can't get away with your top 2 centers having 1 goal between them and it's not asking to much to chip in some more O.. Geekie has been a nice surprise down the middle.

Lou, it's really easy to understand: when Charlie Coyle puts up career numbers in the regular season playing more minutes with better wingers than ever before those stats prove he's great. When he once again fails to produce in the playoff, like he has every single post-season but one, stats are meaningless and only morons cite them.

Hope this clears things up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad