Chara vs Langway

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm pretty sure I know how this poll is going to go, but I'm more interested in discussion than the results.

Both are defensemen known more for their defense than offense. Langway won a pair of Norrises with relatively little offense. Chara finished first in the last player's poll for "toughest defenseman to play against." Extremely similar Norris records. Neither man was known as a playoff warrior, though Chara obviously has the best single playoff of the two, as a key piece in winning the Cup.

Who do you take?

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
This one is a tough call for me but I'm going to go with the Secretary of Defense on this one.

He is the only true defensive defenseman to win the Norris in 40 years.

Even when Chara won his he had 19 goals and 50 points which these days is an "offensive defenseman".

The Capitals without Langway had never made the playoffs, and the Capitals with him made the playoffs every year.

He was also a big boy, especially in the context of the time, and a hard hitter too.

85highlander

Apr 2, 2007
Langway. I think Chara is quite overrated..he's not THAT good defensively.

Ask the Sedin twins if they think Chara is overrated or not that good defensively and you may get another opinion...

Though I thought Chara deserved the Norris this year more than Lindstrom -- Langway was better defensively than Chara, and was as good defensively as anyone I have ever witnessed.

Chara is a better two way player, but Langway was lights out dominating defensively.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don't think Chara was good enough in those playoffs to put him ahead of Langway , yes he captained a cup winner but he didn't play very well while he played horrible for the rest of his career in the playoffs.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I would take Chara. He brings a greater offensive element (i.e. he has a monster shot), and was very solid in the defensive zone (to say the least).

Without a doubt Langway was one of the all-time greats in his own zone, and I usually rate him very highly amongst defensemen...but I just gotta go with Chara on this one.

vecens24

Jun 1, 2009
I'm gonna go with Chara because he provides a better offensive element. I think Langway was a little better defensively, but Chara a bigger amount better offensively.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Langway is such a rare player. I was pretty young when he was with Washington, but watching him was unreal. Such a hard worker, hitter, positional play.

He was so good defensively he changed an entire teams fortunes when he arrived. Not many can do that with rock solid play, any offense was a bonus.

I remember someone posting on here that he could pin two guys down low and basically hold them there at will. How many guys in totdays NHL can do that?

Langway stood out in the high flying 80's, much like Roy. You have to look at his play in context against the people he shut down, and he shut them all down.

Think of the offensive talent he had to face. Think of the Oilers, Islanders and other powerhouses.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Chara rather easily.

While neither has been a great playoff performer, Chara has a Cup final and a Stanley Cup while being a dominant player.

Langway would have a slight edge defensively, primarily for being more mobile.

Chara gets a big edge offensively. He's been a staple of his teams PP for a decade now.

Chara is also a much more imposing physical presence. Langway used his size more to lean on guys and clutch/grab. Nobody ever feared Langway.

Chara can/has delivered physical punishment. Not to mention, he is a monster as a fighter (enough so that he rearely needs to indulge).

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Not to mention, he is a monster as a fighter (enough so that he rearely needs to indulge).
I have to disagree. Chara is barely a good fighter in terms of fighting. He almost doesnt lose any fight, but he almost doesnt win any, too. You cant win fight with Chara, but dont be afraid, if you arent much smaller, your chances for a draw are quite high.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
ozzie said:
I remember someone posting on here that he could pin two guys down low and basically hold them there at will. How many guys in totdays NHL can do that?

Nobody - it would be a penalty. Possibly two penalties (one for each guy he held there).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad