Injury Report: Chara: PCL in Left Knee Permanently Torn

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
I'm actually implying the people who originally said Chara's contract was great and Chiarelli is a genius are now the same people lambasting Chara and Chiarelli.

It was that or have him walk. Boils down to the least bad solution as Chara walking then would have left us with a huge hole in defense or he could have gotten several more millions per season.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It's never a smart move to give lengthy contracts after 33 years old. Sometimes they get lucky.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
I like how when Chara was originally given this contract people loved it, and said he's such a fitness freak that he'll be fine until he's 40. Now people are complaining that he's 38, should've never been given that contract, and Chiarelli should've traded him 2 years ago when he was still great and showed no signs of significantly degrading.

Were people even complaining about him last year? It seems like a lot of people are Monday morning quarterbacking while sitting in Doc Brown's DeLorean.

Also, my 70 year old mom tore her PCL. She's deemed too old for surgery to repair it. She's did PT for a few months and now plays tennis with a brace... so, after one of you teaches her how to skate, maybe she is an option on D?

Lots of us thought the contract was for too long for too much at the time. Go back and look.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
It's never a smart move to give lengthy contracts after 33 years old. Sometimes they get lucky.

It can be clever if it is a finesse-player, but in general consensus I agree. And giving a physical player a lengthy contract is a bad idea because they tend to break down more frequently.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I'm actually implying the people who originally said Chara's contract was great and Chiarelli is a genius are now the same people lambasting Chara and Chiarelli.

I certainly was in the minority but there are people like me who questioned the contract from the beginning. From an objective point of view, there was obvious risk, that most fans seemed unwilling to even consider addressing.

Perhaps there are some flip-floppers, but I also think that people, such as myself, really don't mind speaking up on our original opinions since they seem to be right. Not that I'm "proud" that Chara has broken down, but people's personal attachment to the big man has made having an objective discussion of his play and health into old age almost impossible until now.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not sure if it should go here but not sure it should be its own thread so here goes-

Has there been any word from the Bruins regarding other injured players and what the injury/recovery specifics are?

Just wondering if Pierre was talking out his behind about an I jursd player needing surgery.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Lots of us thought the contract was for too long for too much at the time. Go back and look.

It's true. When Chara signed, you didn't like the deal:

Originally Posted by TheReal13Linseman View Post.
Way too long a deal at that cap hit. Chara's no Bourque.

We'll likely regret this in four years, or whenever Chara suffers a major injury, but all the cheerleaders here too busy slapping themselves on the back about who "called it" won't be convinced otherwise, I'm sure, and will just focus on shouting down anyone who doesn't view all elements of the team with the same rose-coloured glasses that they do.

But then when this poster said:

Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Hopefully he atleast gets his name on the Cup as a Bruin however...

You replied:

If he does, it'll all have been worth it.

In fact, the Bruins won the cup at the end of that season. It has all been worth it. Or would you have it otherwise? Would you not extend Chara and trade him away? Or do you think he would just sign a contract that you would like better? I don't think the GM has much leverage on a player like Chara - if he wanted a long contract, he was going to get it, from the Bruins or elsewhere.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Can't be good to let gm's know he has a torn Plc that permenant. Not good trade value.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Can't be good to let gm's know he has a torn Plc that permenant. Not good trade value.

If, as a GM, you don't come clean about this and dump an injured player onto an unsuspecting team, they'll never trust you again. And I have little doubt that news of this treacherous move would quickly get around to other GMs. Then good luck making any future deals.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
If, as a GM, you don't come clean about this and dump an injured player onto an unsuspecting team, they'll never trust you again. And I have little doubt that news of this treacherous move would quickly get around to other GMs. Then good luck making any future deals.

Wouldn't he have a physical to go through? That happens all the time in football, and deals get canceled because of it.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
wonder if the tear is too substantial to try prolotherapy. I'm doing it again this year. not looking forward to it, but as ligaments go its one of your best options. Guess his grade may be too severe.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Fine as long as Claude's not here and playing him 25-30 mins a night.

He should never be used on the PP and see 2nd to bottom pair D mins.

have to be honest, not sure if many coaches wouldn`t be doing the same with Z unless they are a team with a deep D who a coach trusts, not many of those out there

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
If anyone can rehab and come back, it's Chara. I don't envy the brain trust this summer. No matter what they do over the summer, it will be wrong in the eyes of many. We're going to see some sacred cows get put out to pasture.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
You're going to be disappointed then. He'll rehab. Then whomever the coach is will use him in top 2 role.

It will be a huge mistake then as well. Chara's skills were slipping last year well before the knee injury. Its a business , guys get old and skills slip, Chara is no longer worthy of top pairing minutes.

don

Aug 31, 2002
Nashua, NH
He was a very good player for us for quite a few years. Next year I hope he plays in the 2nd pairing. I'm glad he was a BRUIN.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
He was a very good player for us for quite a few years. Next year I hope he plays in the 2nd pairing. I'm glad he was a BRUIN.

yep, slowing down but man o man, can`t imagine where this team would have been without him:amazed:

I looked up that injury, um, doesn`t sound fun

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
It can be clever if it is a finesse-player, but in general consensus I agree. And giving a physical player a lengthy contract is a bad idea because they tend to break down more frequently.

46 out of 600+ NHL players who played 60 games last year were 34 or over. Age effects both physical and finesse players equally. It's a loser's gamble to bet on an age group where 93% of the group that started is gone by 34.

Beaviz81

Mar 8, 2015
46 out of 600+ NHL players who played 60 games last year were 34 or over. Age effects both physical and finesse players equally. It's a loser's gamble to bet on an age group where 93% of the group that started is gone by 34.

And the average age for retirement from the NHL is 27 or 28. So what is your point?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad