Recalled/Assigned: Chaput assigned to Springfield

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Not that I disagree with the decision (Cracknell and Gibbons have proven to be pleasant surprises and deserve to stay) but put people between Boll and Tropp and what do you expect?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A little surprising. Thought he was doing fine as the 4C - figured he'd be there until one of Letestu or Dubinsky pushed everyone down.

thebus2288*

Dude has the skills but not the brain. He'd be better off in an offensive role than a defensive 1.

Tom13Falcons

Aug 16, 2013
Kinda surprised that Wennberg wasn't sent down instead. I think Gibbons is next one to be sent down.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Not that I disagree with the decision (Cracknell and Gibbons have proven to be pleasant surprises and deserve to stay) but put people between Boll and Tropp and what do you expect?

Dude has the skills but not the brain. He'd be better off in an offensive role than a defensive 1.

Chaput has skated plenty of shifts with talent, in a scoring role. There was a string of games where he started with Boller and then was moved higher in the lineup. The offence didn't click for him in either case. I think Bus has it backwards, Chaput has the reach and discipline to be a good defender, but the offence part might not come.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Needs to bring a lot more energy, physicality, and be better at face-offs. His lack of points production, in my opinion, is ok.

Gotta finish every check, beat players to the puck, block shots, block shots, block shots, and be a face-off force (some nights he's ok but some nights he's terrible). That's how you make a difference as a 4th liner which is pretty obviously what Chaput is and will be. You rarely show up on the score sheet, but you make an impact (literally) through hard work and by pumping the legs.

thebus2288*

Chaput has skated plenty of shifts with talent, in a scoring role. There was a string of games where he started with Boller and then was moved higher in the lineup. The offence didn't click for him in either case..

He would go up on a line because of Wennberg's play. He'd then play like a slightly more aggressive Wennberg and do pretty much nothing, or attempt cute passes and hurt us. 5 on 5 in our zone, like Wennberg/Cracknell/Tropp/and yes Boll, Chaput seems to run around out of position or just not pick up the man they should. He has the size, speed and skill to be an NHL player. This is what got me excited about him being on the team, and helped me downplay the loss of Mackenzie. However he does not have the smarts yet to be "effective" on the offensive side OR defensive side of the ice for "long" periods of time in the NHL. He has the "ability" but the consistency is not there.

I think Bus has it backwards, Chaput has the reach and discipline to be a good defender, but the offence part might not come.

Backwards as in your opinion on Foligno's value on the powerplay?? Sorry been waitin to get that out there. Is his reach and discipline the reason Dubi is so good defensively? No, its heart, tenacity and fantastic awareness all over the ice.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Stop. Just because he isn't in the Calder race or racking up points doesn't mean he isn't doing his job.

If his job is to put up 2 A's in 17 games while tallying a -14 +/- and winning 39.7% of his faceoffs then I agree. Otherwise I fail to see a reason why he is still in Columbus other than the powers to be think this is the best course for his development. Hard to see the logic with that but it seems to have worked okay with Joey. If he stays when and if we ever get all top F's back at the same time I'll be amazed.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If his job is to put up 2 A's in 17 games while tallying a -14 +/- and winning 39.7% of his faceoffs then I agree. Otherwise I fail to see a reason why he is still in Columbus other than the powers to be think this is the best course for his development. Hard to see the logic with that but it seems to have worked okay with Joey. If he stays when and if we ever get all top F's back at the same time I'll be amazed.

His job is to play sound defense right now. Similar to what Johansen went through his rookie year. He's not ready offensively for the NHL, obviously with only two points. He should be in the AHL to develop that part of his game. But right now his role is to play defensively and get the puck in deep, he's doing that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
His job is to play sound defense right now. Similar to what Johansen went through his rookie year. He's not ready offensively for the NHL, obviously with only two points. He should be in the AHL to develop that part of his game. But right now his role is to play defensively and get the puck in deep, he's doing that.

-14 +/-. ?

I know its not strictly an individual thing but if he was doing what you think he is, I'd guess his number would be better.

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg

The comparison with Joey really isn't a good one. Joey, in his first year, couldn't go to the AHL. Wennberg, who didn't go through NA juniors, can. I was actually a proponent of keeping Joey in juniors for another year, and my stance has been similar with Wennberg (AHL).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Water finding its appropriate level.

He's young and is certainly capable of improvement, but he's not an ideal NHL player at this point in time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Backwards as in your opinion on Foligno's value on the powerplay?? Sorry been waitin to get that out there. Is his reach and discipline the reason Dubi is so good defensively? No, its heart, tenacity and fantastic awareness all over the ice.

Yes, as backwards as my view on Foligno's powerplay ability prior to this year. I'm happy to say I underestimated my favorite player. And now you're wrong just like I was.;)

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
-14 +/-. ?

I know its not strictly an individual thing but if he was doing what you think he is, I'd guess his number would be better.

+/- is not an individual stat, it's a team stat. Hense why only Nick Foligno is the only + player on the Jackets. So if we're going by that, Ryan Johansen isn't doing a good job defensively either. Which I don't think is the case at all.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
+/- is not an individual stat, it's a team stat. Hense why only Nick Foligno is the only + player on the Jackets. So if we're going by that, Ryan Johansen isn't doing a good job defensively either. Which I don't think is the case at all.

When your +/- is worse than guys who are playing on the same line as you, and worse than all the guys who play more minutes than you, that's the only time its a meaningful individual stat. And that's the case with Wennberg.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
When your +/- is worse than guys who are playing on the same line as you, and worse than all the guys who play more minutes than you, that's the only time its a meaningful individual stat. And that's the case with Wennberg.

I've come to believe much the same.

+/- can be pretty useful when one uses it for comparison within a team. It's also necessary to know what role the player has. For instance, Tomas Plekanec is an excellent 2 way center for Montreal and he draws the toughest defensive assignments. He also gets a ton of DZone starts. His +/- can't be expected to be as good as David Desharnais who gets a ton of OZone starts and faces a lower quality of opposition than Plekanec.

I don't think that Wennberg should be in the NHL now. His +/- is awful and that's partially a function of the lack of plusses. I think he's gotten a good enough taste of the NHL at this point to get a very good idea of what he needs to work on and how hard it is to play at the top level. At some point, the kid's confidence could start taking a real beating and there's no need for that.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

When you're getting bounced around the lineup from line 2 to 3 to 4 it's bound to be different than your linemates. I supposed Ryan O'Reilly's -10 and Gabriel Landeskog's -11 signal they are not defensively responsible since they are far and away the worst +/- for forwards on the Avs?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
When you're getting bounced around the lineup from line 2 to 3 to 4 it's bound to be different than your linemates.

Yes, and when it's lower than all 9 of your linemates...:laugh:

We know this team well enough though that we shouldn't even need +/-. We know that the puck is just not going in the net when Wennberg is out there. Put just about any combination of our innumerable pluggers out there (Boll included) and they'll have had better luck scoring.

He's a better player than that, of course, but its just not working so far for him. I expected a little more production from him, but either way my answer is the same. Springfield!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
To get even further off topic, the whole team sucks from a +/- perspective. Not to single out Wennberg but he is the worst.

Chaput didn't help.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3