News Article: Changes to the Bridge on the Horizon?

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Let me check my wallet first.

Yikes.

On the whole I like the ideas, though the tower idea--not really sure how that's going to look. The plans make the area look a lot bigger than I perceive it to be in real life, but if all this actually fits into the footprint it's probably a good use of space. I am somewhat concerned how much space is gained from the sidewalks and the plaza...what are the safety ramifications of losing that space before and after games/concerts, etc? Would 5th become a pedestrian area only?

The tower--is that for leasing out to others or is that arena offices? If it's to lease out that might defray some of the cost.

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
I was wondering when somebody was going to put this up. They've been talking about this study for awhile. I don't care what they eventually do but the bottom line is that it's a great thing that the ball is rolling on thinking about how to keep the facility relevant and vibrant for another generation plus. Too many places around the country sit on their hands until it's too late.

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I was wondering when somebody was going to put this up. They've been talking about this study for awhile. I don't care what they eventually do but the bottom line is that it's a great thing that the ball is rolling on thinking about how to keep the facility relevant and vibrant for another generation plus. Too many places around the country sit on their hands until it's too late.

I don't live in Nashville (or even Tennessee) so I don't have a lot of opinion about this, since it wouldn't be my potential tax dollars spent on it (other than taxes on what I spend on Preds tickets and while at games). But I hope they do find a way to keep the arena viable and productive so the team can stay there indefinitely, because I just don't see any way there would ever be a better location for them to play than downtown. Right in the heart of the entertainment district. It makes going to games so enjoyable before and after the actual hockey.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
In the drawing that shows the interior space, have they added space for a potential 4th tier or is it the same as now? I'm not an architect--I see a bunch of dots going around there. As Nashville grows, it would be nice to have that available for the future.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Wow, this shows a lot of forethought as to what their clientele is becoming! I like their focus on connectivity and inclusiveness, although one of the reasons I moved to club level was to avoid so many people. I'm not a Millennial, though, and THAT'S the people they need to be catering to. Maybe by the time this is built I can afford one of those living room suites.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
We had a chance to visit Tampa's arena recently and thought it was awesome. I really enjoyed the open air upper level portion and wish we could find some way to make that happen as well.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I probably wouldn't be able to afford my club seats anymore once they're done with all that.

Priced out and replaced with a corporate or casual patron.

That's also probably 5-10 years down the road at the earliest. They are making long term plans here.

Also with the standard increases, I won't be able to afford my 300 level tickets in a few years anyway based on my current pay.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
That's also probably 5-10 years down the road at the earliest. They are making long term plans here.

Also with the standard increases, I won't be able to afford my 300 level tickets in a few years anyway based on my current pay.
We're lucky to be in Nashville from the standpoint that most things here are cheaper than they should be. For the product on the ice as well as arena experience and location we have no business having tickets as cheap (relatively speaking) as we do. As our city, arena, and team continues to evolve so will things like this, and ticket prices will follow suit. It's kind of the inevitable nature of the beast.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We're lucky to be in Nashville from the standpoint that most things here are cheaper than they should be. For the product on the ice as well as arena experience and location we have no business having tickets as cheap (relatively speaking) as we do. As our city, arena, and team continues to evolve so will things like this, and ticket prices will follow suit. It's kind of the inevitable nature of the beast.

A soda cost me $4 in Nashville. In Milwaukee, at the ancient and soon to be torn down BMO Harris Bradley Center (opened Oct 1988), the same size cup (20 oz) runs $5, and it is $6 for the large (about a quart). The souvenir cup was $6.50.

You can park next door to the area for $10 a game in Milwaukee, unless another event is going on, then it is $15 or $20. I park 2 blocks away for $3. In Nashville, I parked at the MCC from noon to 10 PM for $15. That seemed like a good deal.

My Nashville tickets cost $75 to sit in Row B of 204. Milwaukee was $18 for season tickets in the second row in section 206, just to the side of the goal.

Enjoy it while you can!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'll be honest, I'm pretty much a tv guy these days. I already have other more important things to spend those dollars on ( like my wife finishing college).

That said, I guess you know you are getting to be older when you look at stuff like this and wonder what is wrong with going to a hockey game to see a hockey game? If I gotta be entertained by everything but the hockey to enjoy myself, why am I spending money on a hockey game?

Nothing wrong with keeping a building up to date, and things are certainly going to evolve, just looking at those slides it feels like they are worried about everything but hockey.

The other concern is doing something like this, and then basically out kicking your coverage so to speak. All of that kind of things is great, unless its so expensive no one can afford to go to the games or be a season ticket holder anymore.

belle

Nov 11, 2003
Visit site
Much rather they be planning on keeping the Bridge current than doing nothing for a decade and begin asking for the Bridge to be replaced.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I'll be honest, I'm pretty much a tv guy these days. I already have other more important things to spend those dollars on ( like my wife finishing college).

That said, I guess you know you are getting to be older when you look at stuff like this and wonder what is wrong with going to a hockey game to see a hockey game? If I gotta be entertained by everything but the hockey to enjoy myself, why am I spending money on a hockey game?

Nothing wrong with keeping a building up to date, and things are certainly going to evolve, just looking at those slides it feels like they are worried about everything but hockey.

The other concern is doing something like this, and then basically out kicking your coverage so to speak. All of that kind of things is great, unless its so expensive no one can afford to go to the games or be a season ticket holder anymore.

This isn't about other entertainment during the game. This is about before and after. Part of the goal is to keep people downtown longer than the duration of the game, that's why they want to stay where they are vs move somewhere else. Since the team is basically renting the space from the taxpayers, they should be finding ways to keep visitors downtown longer to bring in more revenue to the city.

As far as the expenses go, we don't really know how this would change ticket prices. The arena is already one of the busiest in the world and the other events help offset the cost of the lower ticket prices. Adding a hotel, while the investment would be expensive, think about hotel prices downtown. That will bring in some significant extra revenue and a much needed hotel downtown. The same goes for the office space if that goes through. If they find a couple of businesses to lease that out to, that is even more revenue coming in. Also something to consider. Every time you buy a ticket to that arena, you are charged a few dollars as a fee for "Capital Improvement". So in a sense, everyone has already been collecting for this.

Personally I am much more worried about tickets increasing in cost just by the standard yearly increase than I am them increasing because of this.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I get wanting people to hang out downtown, just not sure what that really has to do with the arena. If I'm going to dinner afterwards or I'm going to have drinks, I'm not doing it at the arena, I'm going to another business. Whether the arena is fancy or not, isn't going to change that. Now the hotel part of it I get, I'd love the idea of a package where I could watch a game and stay the night, rather than driving an hour back home. You know assuming it's reasonable.

The odds of ticket prices not going up because of it is slim to none though. It always costs more to do than they project. I just hope there are plans for parking if they build this hotel lol.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
My only though on this is that this is how the whole team relocation-extortion racket first starts.

First, the team tries to renovate an old building - "Hey, we're trying to make it work!!!".

It's not too far a leap from that to "Build us a new arena or we're heading to Seattle".

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The arena is one of the main heartbeats of the city and its growth. Metro will do what they have to do to keep it up to date and thriving.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I think this study is a way to get the conversation started between the Preds and the city, since the city owns the building. The Preds have to have the data available to help sell the idea of the city making these improvements. Is the other company that actually rents the building still called powers management?

So this really is how to renovate the building, get the city to pay for it, make a long term commitment by the Preds to stay,,and how to make powers management more money... It was smart to include a hotel, since the city desperately needs more downtown. I can't imagine it's going to be a reasonable priced hotel.:laugh:

And yes, in 10 years I'm probably going to be priced out of my seats also.

And parking will be worse..

Overall, at least they're looking forward.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
My only though on this is that this is how the whole team relocation-extortion racket first starts.

First, the team tries to renovate an old building - "Hey, we're trying to make it work!!!".

It's not too far a leap from that to "Build us a new arena or we're heading to Seattle".

In what world does the team saying that they love that location and never want to leave this location, therefore we want to renovate the location to make it viable for the next several decades = "We want a new building or we are moving"?

Normally when what you are talking about starts, the team doesn't necessarily care about their location, therefore they want a new building.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

The entertainment aspect isn't there strictly for hockey. I think a large approach to this is keeping that Bridgestone area relevant at all times with foot traffic going to the business complexes and restaurants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad