Confirmed with Link: Changes Incoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Posted this in another thread:

Being released doesn't mean they're terrible. These guys tend to have a shelf life. DL has been GM for a decade, that's an eternity in sports, and Sutter has been coach since December '11.

Both are awesome and will do great things elsewhere, but it's pretty clear they were done here. This isn't like, say, firing Gerard Gallant.

Nothing but love for both men. No Sutter, Lombardi, Bob Miller in LA next year, 50th anniversary celebration was an ushering of change. Who knows who else from the staff is gone? There's still Futa, John Stevens, Davis Payne...

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'll hold off on making any judgement until we see what changes occur. Knowing how competitive Luc and Blake were on the ice, I don't think the results of the past three years sits well with them.

Hey, maybe Blakey can bring Nordstrom back into the fold ;)

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Maybe Futa will be assistant GM now? Possibly a tandem GM plan going, to make up for Blake's relative inexperience?

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013

Being released doesn't mean they're terrible. These guys tend to have a shelf life. DL has been GM for a decade, that's an eternity in sports, and Sutter has been coach since December '11.

Both are awesome and will do great things elsewhere, but it's pretty clear they were done here. This isn't like, say, firing Gerard Gallant.

Nothing but love for both men. No Sutter, Lombardi, Bob Miller in LA next year, 50th anniversary celebration was an ushering of change. Who knows who else from the staff is gone? There's still Futa, John Stevens, Davis Payne...

It's sad, numerous things have compounded to lead to this, most of which could have been avoided. I don't deny Lomabrdi has **** the bed since 2014, and I don't deny Sutter's system and voice with the players has gotten stale, but this is still a sad day for two very accomplished professionals.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
tumblr_olkl2t3Yi71sq302mo6_250.gif

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015

Absolutely. End of the best era in Kings history.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Why do you think it's the end? I don't think this means we are rebuilding, this means the higher powers believe we still have a window with this core and Lombardi and Sutter weren't accomplishing anything in that window the past 3 seasons.

Jun 30, 2006
Maybe Futa will be assistant GM now? Possibly a tandem GM plan going, to make up for Blake's relative inexperience?

I have a feeling there's going to be a new FO staff under Blake. Futa and Jack Ferreira (advisor) are probably goners.

An incredible amount of hockey experience and knowledge just left the org today. :help:

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
So Mayor called this. Which also means there's probably a good chance we try to bring Voynov back...

Does the NHL know about this? Because he can't come back unless they say it's okay. They also said if he did return, they would consider supplemental discipline.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
The two men who brought GLORY to us.

I will forever remember them for the pure joy they brought into my life.

DL will be back in a job very quickly. Sutter too, if he wants to keep playing.

Will miss Chris dancing

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
So Mayor called this. Which also means there's probably a good chance we try to bring Voynov back...

Didn't he recently say that Brownie will be gone too?

Unless he has more concrete info about VV, i'm not gonna get started.

Jun 30, 2006
Why do you think it's the end? I don't think this means we are rebuilding, this means the higher powers believe we still have a window with this core and Lombardi and Sutter weren't accomplishing anything in that window the past 3 seasons.

Just look at the Oilers from 10 years ago, Avalanche now, they hired the good OL boys and it drove the org right into the ditch.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
This thread -

*The Los Angeles Kings have relieved Dean Lombardi of his duties.*

"NICE."

*The Los Angeles Kings have promoted Rob Blake to General Manager."

whiguyblink.gif

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Dean probably hitched his wagon to Sutter with that extension last year. Even if their relationship wasn't as strong as before at present, the two are tied together. If people in the organization didn't want Sutter back after last season, Dean probably signed his own death sentence by giving him he extension.

Reeks of palace intrigue here. I'd have to look up the initial Robitaille hiring, but it seems like an AEG move more than a Lombardi move, although Lombardi did want to build a culture and feels alumni are a big part of it. Then Luc gets his buddy Blake in there. Can totally see players unhappy with Sutter talking to Luc and Blake. Things are set in motion etc.

Robitaille had a lot of power this entire time and now he has what he has, in my opinion, ultimately wanted for awhile now. This guy now oversees the entire operation!

In the end, no surprise if Lombardi wouldn't fire Sutter. Lombardi knows he made a mess here the last few years as well so a good time to leave: especially if Luc were to become his boss. So, show that famous Lombardi loyalty and go down with your guy.

All speculation but, even with the past three seasons, dumping Lombardi for these two greenhorns doesn't seem like a smart decision.

Reactions: The Butcher

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I'm glad Sutter and Dean are gone. But Luc and Blake running things...huh! I might have waited if I was AEG to see what is out there.

But Dean and Sutter couldn't adapt to the skilled talent coming from the draft. They tried to keep their big grinding guys and over power teams and that wasn't going to work with the draft talent. The kids coming from the draft were small skilled kids that couldn't ever play that system. In the end it cost them their jobs.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I wonder if Futa is just happy with what hes doing and doesn't want to move any further up. I sure hope he stays or we are looking at returning to the dark ages imo. I didn't want both gone but i can understand why.Now with Stevens named associate coach does that not mean hes next in line? or with both dean and sutter fired take that promotion away ? Going to be interesting for sure.

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
And people mention Yzerman... I'd like to point out that TB is in cap hell. They're gonna lose big pieces this summer.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

You know what they say, victims of their own success. Winning Cups breeds a higher standard and when they couldn't deliver anymore, they had to go unfortunately. Best of luck to both of them though. They will be Kings legends in my eyes forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad