"Changes Coming to Blackhawks"

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/22/an-angry-stan-bowman-says-changes-coming-to-blackhawks-after-unacceptable-playoff-exit/

Bowman is livid. Changes are coming. He said Q is staying but I wonder what changes will be made

Ideally it means 'I'm done acquiring old vets to serve as safety blankeys for our coach, we're going with youth and speed'.

stahl

Mar 26, 2011
Whatever happens, this off season will be an interesting on not just for Chicago, but hockey in general.

Hope he realizes that some of the contracts he offered may hamper some changes he wants to do.

Hawks need to go back to winning faceoffs and having good special teams. I'd start there.

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Tough to divorce the quenneville philosophy from the plan for change while keeping quenneville. Maybe q will be flexible on his routine

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Q will probably have less say on roster construction. Both the assistants will be let go. Bowman will probably be listening to offers on a lot of players. Finding a way to keep Darling at 3m AAV has to be seriously considered. They could use that cap space.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Q will probably have less say on roster construction. Both the assistants will be let go. Bowman will probably be listening to offers on a lot of players. Finding a way to keep Darling at 3m AAV has to be seriously considered. They could use that cap space.

This is my thoughts as well after the interviews today..

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
My greatest fear is that this 'changes will be made mentality' will lead to a 2011 Vancouver Canucks esque push for 'physicality' in the lineup. Cause that will work out about as well for the Blackhawks as it did for the Canucks.

They need to stick completely to the speed and skill, puck-possession identity of this team. Improve your team speed and possession, don't go Lombardi at the WCH with 'we have to win a different way' nonsense.

Please.

Whatever happens, this off season will be an interesting on not just for Chicago, but hockey in general.

Hope he realizes that some of the contracts he offered may hamper some changes he wants to do.

Hawks need to go back to winning faceoffs and having good special teams. I'd start there.

I'd work on getting the 5v5 possession game back on track waaaaaaaaay before I worry about special teams. Faceoffs might help a bit, since they're the one puck battle that speed doesn't play much of a factor in winning. And god knows the Blackhawks look like thy need as many of those puck battls as possible these days, compared to the ones they get get beat to all over the ice.

deytookerjaabs

Johnny Paycheck's Tank Advisor
Sep 26, 2010
Eastern Shore
I don't think acquiring grinders or physical guys is at the top of Bowman's list, though if there's a bonafide net presence forward it would help. Still, I think Bowman will hunt nhl ready speed/skill.

Still, I think the roster we had going into this post season had far more potential than the results showed.

IMO, given the disconnect between how the team needs to adapt to the up & coming teams versus how Q wants to play I'm betting the leash next season will be short.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I don't think acquiring grinders or physical guys is at the top of Bowman's list, though if there's a bonafide net presence forward it would help. Still, I think Bowman will hunt nhl ready speed/skill.

Still, I think the roster we had going into this post season had far more potential than the results showed.

I agree. But that's the danger of loading up with rookies. If they all get system shock from the change in pace/intensity/pressure of the playoffs in their first go-round, that's a big chunk of your complementary players rendered less effective than they otherwise would be.

But it's also not likely to happen again.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I agree. But that's the danger of loading up with rookies. If they all get system shock from the change in pace/intensity/pressure of the playoffs in their first go-round, that's a big chunk of your complementary players rendered less effective than they otherwise would be.

But it's also not likely to happen again.

The rookies were not the issue.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The rookies were not the issue.

Not the only issue, but they were absolutely an issue.

One of the reasons the Blackhawks out performed expectations in the regular season (beyond disproportionate luck in 1-goal games of course) was that their rookies stepped up and were important contributors.

In the playoffs they ranged from invisible to out-right bad. And our best rookie of the season in a walk didn't even play save 8 minutes in the last game.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm thinking Stan will package some of our prospects that might not get a chance with the Hawks and unload Seabs and/ or Crow. Then, trade Panarin for some much needed help on the back-end.

Re-sign Panik and get rid of the dead weight (Rosi, Oduya, Tootoo)

I don't forsee as much turnover as last off-season, just trading a couple of the big name guys.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Not the only issue, but they were absolutely an issue.

One of the reasons the Blackhawks out performed expectations in the regular season (beyond disproportionate luck in 1-goal games of course) was that their rookies stepped up and were important contributors.

In the playoffs they ranged from invisible to out-right bad. And our best rookie of the season in a walk didn't even play save 8 minutes in the last game.

That what happens when Q used the blender to early in game 1.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I think the Hawks should unload Tootoo, Oduya, Rosi). Going to need some help on the back end, might have to come back in a trade.

The rookies were invisible in the playoffs , really think they should sign some veteran forward depth . Scottie Upshall from St. Louis would be a good free agent to look into. He fits the mould of speed , and he plays with grit and a lot of heart . Think he would fit in well on the bottom 6 who would contribute offensively .

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think the Hawks should unload Tootoo, Oduya, Rosi). Going to need some help on the back end, might have to come back in a trade.

The rookies were invisible in the playoffs , really think they should sign some veteran forward depth . Scottie Upshall from St. Louis would be a good free agent to look into. He fits the mould of speed , and he plays with grit and a lot of heart . Think he would fit in well on the bottom 6 who would contribute offensively .

giphy.gif

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
From The Athletic. This is very, VERY concerning to me:

On whether defenseman speed was an issue in the playoffs:

“No, I didn’t see that as an issue. We didn’t score any goals. It’s hard to win games when you get shutout. In 13 periods, we scored in two of them. It’s not good enough."

If Stan (and Q) genuinely don't see an issue with speed on D, the #Blackhawks are ****ed until they change their minds.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
The changes for next season:

1: Toews traded to LA for Brown.
2: Kane traded to Pittsburgh for Kessel.
3. Rozsival made Captain.
4. Hossa get's convinced to retire (NOT go on LTIR).
5. Keith goes to Vegas.
6. Panarin gets traded to the Blues for a 4th round pick. He and his good buddy Tarasenko form the next great hockey duo.
7. The Blackhawks logo on all jerseys gets replaced with the logo of United in an effort to show that the team is willing to beat the crap out of anyone (and to make Rocky lots of money in advertising).

Things can get worse....

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

Unless I am missing something, Oduya is a UFA. No unloading needed. Meanwhile, Tootoo and Rosi are signed presumably for expansion draft purposes but I believe they are signed at a rate their contracts can be buried in the AHL if the Hawks want to (which I hope they want to).

One thing I am curious about is Hossa's plans for next year. This may be the last chance he would have to participate in an Olympics and this coming season is when he drops down to start making only $1 million per year in actual salary.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Unless I am missing something, Oduya is a UFA. No unloading needed. Meanwhile, Tootoo and Rosi are signed presumably for expansion draft purposes but I believe they are signed at a rate their contracts can be buried in the AHL if the Hawks want to (which I hope they want to).

One thing I am curious about is Hossa's plans for next year. This may be the last chance he would have to participate in an Olympics and this coming season is when he drops down to start making only $1 million per year in actual salary.

According to the quotes from locker cleanout day, he plans to be back playing for the Blackhawks next season.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Really? :facepalm:

Where are the quotes? I hope it was just general hopeful B.S.

Most of the beats on twitter have them.

I don't really see it as a bad thing. He scored 25+ goals this year. Another long summer + a decrease in ice-time (get him the **** off the PK) and I think he'll be useful again, whether it's back on the top line or back on a 3rd line.

Hossa isn't the big money complementary winger I'd move for cap space though. I'd probably move Panarin first. After a great 1st year where he pursued the puck all over the ice and I was thinking (wow, I hope Kane takes notes away from the puck), his second year was pretty much typified by standing still in the ozone waiting for the pass. And he's only 2 years from UFA when he'll want more money.

His one-timer is still a cheat-code, though, no doubt.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm thinking HGF is getting confused between Oduya and Hossa.

Hossa is staying. Oduya, to my knowledge, hasn't stated anything about where he'll wind up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad