Post-Game Talk: Champs @ Wanna-Be’s — 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I had a bender so missed the game live. Watched about 75% of it in sections since.
I thought Holtby could have been better. Wasnt bad but just didnt make a couple of saves that you need at least 1 of them stopped.

Ovi has a great switch. Kuzy wants to have a switch but doesnt know how to flick it on like Ovi does. Still plenty of time for him to do that.

Tampa.... Do not really impress me that much. Kucherov and Stamkos are often missing against the Caps 5v5. They can say all they want that they matched us physically, they wanted this game badly, we wanted it but reading the tweets posted in here, clearly it meant a lot to them and they played that way and I thought we were at worst even for the game in terms of dictating play.
Wilson is ramping up his physical game against potential playoff opponents. Like it. You dont want anyone injured but if he plays that way and someone gets softened up before playoffs, so be it. Its game on now.

We probably need win one of these 3 games against them to keep top spot. So lets hope its at home. There is still Orpik, Niskanen, Orlov, Oshie to fire up their best physical games... settle down Tampa.

Yep, nothing at this point worth losing any players. Just win the games to qualify and win the division and keep healthy. I didn't expect them to win in Tampa and they made a game out of it. Regular season stuff don't matter anyway.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Whats the real stats on B2Bs.
I personally believe its overstated.

Remembering that each matchup is different, what percentage of teams lose when they would have won rested?
This isnt the 90s, guys are pretty fit.

TRASHCAT

Sep 23, 2009
Boulder, CO
I do like our team. I would love to see the Caps and TB play a even up game in DC.

The back end of a back to back isntvwhat I would ask for.

Are those the conditions you would ask for?
Maybe put a little faith in that team you so like. Them overcoming adversity is a reason I like them

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe put a little faith in that team you so like. Them overcoming adversity is a reason I like them

I am not sure what you are saying? Having faith and putting any cred on the results of a back end of a back to back are different things. The Caps will have a better chance to win the 3rd game on the road with both teams rested than this next one. You don't agree? You think its a fair fight? I have faith. I just wont be joining the meltdown if they lose.

In the playoffs you never get to play a team that played the night before.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Whats the real stats on B2Bs.
I personally believe its overstated.

Remembering that each matchup is different, what percentage of teams lose when they would have won rested?
This isnt the 90s, guys are pretty fit.

The Caps are 3 and 6 in the back end of a back to back.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The Caps are 3 and 6 in the back end of a back to back.

This is likely much more about who they played and how the Caps were playing at that time of the season, than it is about the Caps having to play back to back. Weren't a handful of those B2Bs during our losing streak in January? Someone posted a stat about teams playing B2B vs rested teams, and then rested teams vs teams playing B2B, and the results were largely random. Some good teams did well, some did poorly. Some bad teams did well, some did poorly. The results, much like faceoff percentage, just didn't correlate to much.

In terms of looking forward to the game, do you only look forward to games you expect them to win? I look forward to the most challenging games much more so than games vs hapless AHL teams playing out the string. It's hardly an "unfair fight" to play a team after you played the previous night.

This will be another real test. I look forward to it a lot, but just like you, I won't join the meltdown if we don't pass. Its a practice test, not the real final exam!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Weren't a handful of those B2Bs during our losing streak in January? Someone posted a stat about teams playing B2B vs rested teams, and then rested teams vs teams playing B2B, and the results were largely random. Some good teams did well, some did poorly. Some bad teams did well, some did poorly. The results, much like faceoff percentage, just didn't correlate to much.

1. Yes, it depends on how well they played. The Caps started strong and lost two back games straight out of the gate. They have won 2 back to back games in a row playing crappy teams.

2. That it doesn't matter is plain horseshit. Ive seen Reirden several times this season discuss how he coaches completely differently in back to back games trying to make up the disadvantage. Maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about and is wasting his time. What do I know? But he seems to think that its enough of a challenge to change how he uses his players.

Edit: Ever hear a coach or an analyst say that the Caps are playing a team that played last night and that they need to jump on them right away? They constantly comment about how to take advantage of the fatigue of a team that played the night before. If you think it doesn't matter, I don't know what else to say

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
1. Yes, it depends on how well they played. The Caps started strong and lost two back games straight out of the gate. They have won 2 back to back games in a row playing crappy teams.

2. That it doesn't matter is plain horse****. Ive seen Reirden several times this season discuss how he coaches completely differently in back to back games trying to make up the disadvantage. Maybe he doesn't know what he is talking about and is wasting his time. What do I know? But he seems to think that its enough of a challenge to change how he uses his players.

The only really impactful change he's made is the goalie which is nearly universal, nothing interesting about that. Swapping out one 4th liner part time scratch for another 4th liner part time scratch is hardly going to compensate for the B2B. Players and coaches and media can all talk about it, just like they all talk about FO%. But there's little evidence that it actually correlates to winning% overall.

And I didn't say it doesn't matter at all. But playing TB without rest is obviously different than playing the AHL Sens without rest. Who you play matters much more than when you play them.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Also B2B on the road vs B2B at home matters, as well as how far both teams may have traveled, including time zones.

Here is the best statistical data I could find. Looks like across all situations, the advantage maxes out around 3% more winning percentage. In fact too much rest reduced winning %.

https://www.tsn.ca/yost-rest-makes-a-major-difference-in-nhl-performance-1.120073

Interesting study. Looks at rest surplus vs rest deficit and compares goals, fenwick and winning %.

But I disagree with its title, ~3% is not a major difference. A one day deficit at home is 1.1% difference. Not nothing, but not massive.

Last edited:

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I am not sure what you are saying? Having faith and putting any cred on the results of a back end of a back to back are different things. The Caps will have a better chance to win the 3rd game on the road with both teams rested than this next one. You don't agree? You think its a fair fight? I have faith. I just wont be joining the meltdown if they lose.

Not unless it's the Pens and their scheduling conflicts.

Reactions: Empty Goal Net

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Of course. However, the statement was:

Yes, so technically on rare occasions, I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!! Factually, we are talking about one team, the Caps, playing the night before against a rested team, the Lightning. That scenario doesn't happen in the playoffs.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Yes, so technically on rare occasions, I WAS WRONG!!!!!!!!! Factually, we are talking about one team, the Caps, playing the night before against a rested team, the Lightning. That scenario doesn't happen in the playoffs.

Yes, you are correct.

No back to backs for a team versus a rested team.

Don't give Buttman any ideas, however. ;)

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Of course. However, the statement was:

I kind of hate the mandatory day off between games in the loffs. The away team must HATE it more than me, especially after a loss. Days off should be for travel.

The league tries to alternate games between the conferences but once series's start ending, fans and players alike are sitting around in consideration of games in another conference that may never happen.

Somehow, the league did just fine with back to back playoff games. Its great for traveling fans as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad