GWT: Champions League - Quarterfinals

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
In the East we had teams connected to Ministries. Biggest derby in Romania is still cops vs soldiers haha

The only club I hate is the old Stasi Club, Berliner FC Dynamo*, and our identity as the anti-Stasi everymen still permeates Union.

*the name of all iron curtain clubs with police roots

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
The only club I hate is the old Stasi Club, Berliner FC Dynamo*, and our identity as the anti-stash everymen still permeates Union.

Same for my hate for Dinamo Bucharest. I can still sometimes support Real Madrid in some games, but never Dinamo.

Reactions: cgf

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
The only club I hate is the old Stasi Club, Berliner FC Dynamo*, and our identity as the anti-Stasi everymen still permeates Union.

The reunification and how it effected German football is something that I have never had any insight into, but feels like it could be such an interesting story. Heck, the general reunification is total blackhole for me I'd love to get any reco's for more insight.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The reunification and how it effected German football is something that I have never had any insight into, but feels like it could be such an interesting story. Heck, the general reunification is total blackhole for me I'd love to get any reco's for more insight.
In a nutshell, the highlights of East German football teams since reunification are:

Reactions: bluesfan94

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I'll try to remember this when I'm fresh (read: sober) because I know there have been some many good reads on this subject and I know some of them were in English, but in general reunification has been complicated.

With the East still (generally) underdeveloped compared to the west despite significant investment that creates tensions from each side...some easterners are frustrated that 35 years after reunification we still have to make do with less than our western counterparts, or leave for better opportunities; while some westerners are frustrated that they are still spending money on us when almost two whole generations have been born since the wall came down.

Throw in some cultural differences that always existed between the different German states...with some new ones that developed during our time separated from one another...and it becomes a trickier matter still. Not one anyone wants to undo...like some in the states who think a "national divorce" is how adults deal with reality...but something that hasn't gone exactly as smoothly as everyone hoped.

And in football that story has been even more dramatic with all of the eastern clubs that were big at the time of reunification sinking down the totem pole due to just not having the financial mitteln to withstand less then spectacular management...especially when the wessis started pilfering eastern clubs' best players/prospects.

There's a reason why I still consider it a miracle that 1.FC Union Berlin made it into the 1st division and didn't immediately get relegated, despite playing in the capital city, having an amazing atmosphere, and being just a 20ish minute train ride from the city center :laugh:

Reactions: gary69 and maclean

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
E:
And some times Wessi's are just such condescending little twats that can't help but kick down, that it's hard not to develop a general dislike for them :sarcasm:

In a nutshell, the highlights of East German football teams since reunification are:

7d5f41f1-a476-4ba1-99a7-75dde0ce499e_w960_r1.778_fpx36_fpy50.jpg

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
E:
And some times Wessi's are just such condescending little twats that can't help but kick down, that it's hard not to develop a general dislike for them :sarcasm:

7d5f41f1-a476-4ba1-99a7-75dde0ce499e_w960_r1.778_fpx36_fpy50.jpg
Oh, I don't have any skin in the game, it's just sad what has happened to East German football. And now Halle likely getting relegated drops yet another from the top 3 leagues.

Really though, the cans? I would have expected you to use Union's rise to the top flight and a CL spot over any of RBL's successes.:laugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Two lowest possession stats from Barca in the CL since 2003.
This week against PSG 32.7
Last week against PSG 41.4

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh, I don't have any skin in the game, it's just sad what has happened to East German football. And now Halle likely getting relegated drops yet another from the top 3 leagues.

Really though, the cans? I would have expected you to use Union's rise to the top flight and a CL spot over any of RBL's successes.:laugh:

Union is legend, but better Leipzig than some western whores :dunno:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
RB Leipzig wasn't even an East German club though. It's a club located in the former East Germany.
For city of Leipzig, former East German teams VfB/Lokomotive Leipzig and Chemie still exist in the lower divisions.

Lokomotive's Wikipedia: "The club's fans share a fierce and often violent rivalry with the supporters of Chemie Leipzig. When both teams met in the quarter finals of the Sachsenpokal in 2016, German daily newspaper Die Welt called the match the "German hooligan summit".[8] An additional reason for the enmity between some fan groups (namely their ultras) is a political one. Whereas certain Chemie fan clubs express left-wing and anti-fascist political views, Lok has vocal supporters from the right and far-right of the political spectrum"

Don't remember anything from Chemie, but I do remember Lokomotiv's Cup Winners Cup final against Ajax, which was Marco van Basten's emerging on the international stage before his moving to Milan for his glory days.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
RB Leipzig wasn't even an East German club though. It's a club located in the former East Germany.

I said it was complicated :laugh: They're not a former DDR club and we enjoyed delaying their ascent to the first division by a year because they are everything wrong with modern football that we so consistently protest against...

But still, the city of Leipzig has really embraced them...not just the s***heads, like Lok...and I can't pretend that the petty ossi kid in me doesn't get tickled by how much their success annoys the established rich kids, or that I wasn't rooting for Nagelsmann & Eberl to end the Bayern dynasty before our run atop the table.

For city of Leipzig, former East German teams VfB/Lokomotive Leipzig and Chemie still exist in the lower divisions.

Lokomotive's Wikipedia: "The club's fans share a fierce and often violent rivalry with the supporters of Chemie Leipzig. When both teams met in the quarter finals of the Sachsenpokal in 2016, German daily newspaper Die Welt called the match the "German hooligan summit".[8] An additional reason for the enmity between some fan groups (namely their ultras) is a political one. Whereas certain Chemie fan clubs express left-wing and anti-fascist political views, Lok has vocal supporters from the right and far-right of the political spectrum"

Don't remember anything from Chemie, but I do remember Lokomotiv's Cup Winners Cup final against Ajax, which was Marco van Basten's emerging on the international stage before his moving to Milan for his glory days.

It's a new Chemie started after reunification...but like Lok it's drawing more on the people who just want to get together & destroy s*** than the general populace of the city, like Red Bull have.

Reactions: gary69 and maclean

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
I said it was complicated :laugh: They're not a former DDR club and we enjoyed delaying their ascent to the first division by a year because they are everything wrong with modern football that we so consistently protest against...

But still, the city of Leipzig has really embraced them...not just the s***heads, like Lok...and I can't pretend that the petty ossi kid in me doesn't get tickled by how much their success annoys the established rich kids, or that I wasn't rooting for Nagelsmann & Eberl to end the Bayern dynasty before our run atop the table.

It's a new Chemie started after reunification...but like Lok it's drawing more on the people who just want to get together & destroy s*** than the general populace of the city, like Red Bull have.

My paternal ancestors (talking 100ish years ago) come from the city of Dresden, which explains my German surname. What's a team from there I can follow that are not complete nazis like Dynamo?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
My paternal ancestors (talking 100ish years ago) come from the city of Dresden, which explains my German surname. What's a team from there I can follow that are not complete nazis like Dynamo?
I think the other major Dresden team is in like...what's below the Oberliga? Closest alternatives would be Chemnitz, Zwickau, or Aue, I think? The last if wanting a "professional" level club.

• Wow
Reactions: luiginb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad