GWT: Champions League - Quarterfinals

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Taking off Yamal instead of Lewa when we have to play counterattacking football is criminal
My guess is the thinking is that Lewa is better on set pieces (both going forward and back) and can serve as more of a target man to relieve pressure.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Cheers fellas.

Been following pretty darn closely since the WC but the rules and whats a a YC and RC are still unknown to me.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
My guess is the thinking is that Lewa is better on set pieces (both going forward and back) and can serve as more of a target man to relieve pressure.
It makes sense if the goal is to have him hold up play more as opposed to simply sprinting on a counter.

With 60 minutes left it probably makes sense. Although the closer you get to the end of the game, the more you assume PSG pushes forward and the more you just want to hoof it to a dude with pace.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Cheers fellas.

Been following pretty darn closely since the WC but the rules and whats a a YC and RC are still unknown to me.

It doesn't help when you're getting started that interpretations vary from league to league. So even if the rules are technical the same in Germany & England, what you can expect a ref to call in one league is very different from the other.

Reactions: Sad People

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Dortmund could've had a third there. They need that next goal to see this thing out.

Kudos to Sabitzer & Füllkrug for bouncing back as that half went on. Nic had some great flicks & passes, while Sabitzer movement & pressing helped the creative trio buzz around as much as they did.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
It makes sense if the goal is to have him hold up play more as opposed to simply sprinting on a counter.

With 60 minutes left it probably makes sense. Although the closer you get to the end of the game, the more you assume PSG pushes forward and the more you just want to hoof it to a dude with pace.
Yeah, which is why I imagine he'll come off in the 75th minute or so if the score is still level.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
It doesn't help when you're getting started that interpretations vary from league to league. So even if the rules are technical the same in Germany & England, what you can expect a ref to call in one league is very different from the other.
Yeah i mainly follow the EPL but a few months ago i started watching Real Madrid. I guess i assumed the rules were pretty universal. Good to know.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Oh I sure know.
Except me, I'm pure.

Hey! You stole my joke!

Yeah i mainly follow the EPL but a few months ago i started watching Real Madrid. I guess i assumed the rules were pretty universal. Good to know.

The rules are technically universal, but how refs interpret them varies a lot.

Like in Germany if you get your studs up on a player it's an automatic red even if fully unintentional and not at all brutal. While in England they're a lot more wish-washy about making that call if it's not vicious or malicious.

Reactions: Sad People

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Very mature performance from Dortmund. Been all over Atletico.
A couple of mishaps from Hummels and Sabitzer that could've ended badly but other than that, I agree.

Füllkrug looked absolutely gassed at 20 minutes into this game, but it hasn't cost them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad