Champions League of Hockey (like in soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No need to try to start an entirely new league to compete against the great club teams of Europe. Just have the champions of each league play each other ten or twenty times a year.

I wanna see a rivalry of teams between countries! Like TPS Turku vs. Frolunda, Moscow Dynamo vs. HC Lugano, etc.

Not the last-minute thrown-together play of line-ups in the world championships.

I'm thinking every year, as breaks during their regular season schedules... but this year would be especially sweet,... even if only as a tourney.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Yeah but it already exists ... sort of.

Avangard is the Euro champion.

But what I wanna see, is games between NHL teams and European teams, in NA and Europe.

Something like Tampa vs. Avangard :D

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
wilka91 said:
Yeah but it already exists ... sort of.
Really?

I just did a search and found this:

Avangard Wins Hockey Euros

By Christopher Hamilton
Special to The Moscow Times
ST. PETERSBURG -- Avangard Omsk won the final of the inaugural European Champions Cup when Jaromir Jagr scored an overtime game-winner to lift the Siberian club to a 2-1 come-from-behind victory over Finnish champion Karpat Oulu at St. Petersburg's Ice Palace on Sunday.
Wow! great!

Six teams in a short tourney... wish it was better promoted over in Canada. Darn, if they couldn't make much of it during a NHL lockout then when could they otherwise?

Yeah, I'd like to see Avangard Omsk vs. Tampa Bay Lightning, even if just a charity game.

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
It's a great idea. I think almost every day how great it would be to have a champions league like in football. There are five big football leagues in Europe (England, France, Spain, Italy & Germany) and there are five or six big hockey leagues in Europe (swe, cze, fin, rus, svk, sui). Both football and hockey domestic championships start and finish at about same time. I would use the same system like in football's champions league.
If you ask me, this ''super six'' European championship sucks big time. How can they have a tournament 8 months after those teams won their championships and some of them completely changed for the next season. How can they have that kind of a tournament during a season when some other teams are playing the best hockey (Dynamo, Lada...) The best example is Swedish HV. This season's HV is far from last season's HV and it was evident in the tournament, so it actually wasn't a ''super six''.
The teams play their best hockey during and at the end of the season and that is when the international club tournaments should be held.
Once again, I would use apsolutely the same system. Offcourse, the leagues would have to adjust the schedule...

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
I'd like to see a tournament where the Champion of each league in Europe play and also the Stanley Cup champion team. I think the NHL would have to shorten the season a bit because they would be playing until July but it would only be one team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad