Confirmed Trade: [CGY/OTT] Curtis Lazar and Mike Kostka for Jyrki Jokipakka and a 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComixZone

Jul 24, 2005
benched. he will be available at the expansion draft. Not sure if he is worth a 2nd rounder

Yeah, no he won't.

Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Frolik
Ferland
Lazar

are the 7 Flames forwards that they'll protect. The Flames like Lazar a lot, and have asked him to be patient - as they have a plan for him long-term. He's looked very good in the 4 games he's played thus far, and should pose an interesting question for Gulutzan as to whether Bouma or Lazar plays in the playoffs. With that being said, the Flames seem deadset on sticking to their plan, which likely means Lazar only drawns in if someone gets injured.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
benched. he will be available at the expansion draft. Not sure if he is worth a 2nd rounder

You may be wrong on both

1) The Flames should protect him ahead of Brouwer and Stajan. Unless Brouwer turned into a beast in the playoff. Chance of that is close to nil.

2)He is definitely worth a 2nd. A 2nd is often overrated. This is also a weak draft. In limited action, he has shown he is worth more than most of the Flames 2nd rounders in the last 10 yrs.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Worked on fixing the damage that Ottawa did to him.

Meh. Curtis punched his own ticket out of town when he asked his agent to complain about his ice time. How do you justify pulling out someone who's playing better than him?

I'm happy to see that he's doing well in Calgary, I do like the kid. But at this point on the Sens I'm taking Dzingel, MacArthur, Burrows, Stalberg, Pyatt, Wingels, and even newly signed Colin White over Lazar right now. Maybe it's not as deep over in Calgary and he gets a better opportunity there.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Hope he can secure a more permanent spot next year........

In Vegas

Not sure what Calgary protection list looks like but an under 23 forward with a little potential has to be tempting(assuming he is available)

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Why is Stajan even being mentioned? There's literally no scenario in which he would be protected.

Flames list is 100% set

Forwards:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Frolik
Ferland
Lazar

Defense:
Giordano
D.Hamilton
Brodie

Goalie:
Elliott

Exposed:
UFA's: Stone, Versteeg, Engelland, Johnson, Bollig
Under contract: Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma, F.Hamilton, Bartkowski, Poirier, Shinkaruk, McCollum
RFA's: Chiasson, Wotherspoon, Kulak, Morisson, Vey, Culkin

McPhee will take Brouwer even if Treliving has to pay him to do so

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Meh. Curtis punched his own ticket out of town when he asked his agent to complain about his ice time. How do you justify pulling out someone who's playing better than him?

I'm happy to see that he's doing well in Calgary, I do like the kid. But at this point on the Sens I'm taking Dzingel, MacArthur, Burrows, Stalberg, Pyatt, Wingels, and even newly signed Colin White over Lazar right now. Maybe it's not as deep over in Calgary and he gets a better opportunity there.

Surprising to see the 180 you've done on him.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

Pretty much this.

Curtis had to earn ice time in Ottawa and he wasnt able to do that. Calgary is alot thinner up front and can give him minutes.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Exposed:
Under contract: Brouwer, Stajan, Bouma, F.Hamilton, Bartkowski, Poirier, Shinkaruk, McCollum

In all honesty given this list and how I feel there will be much better defensemen left open then forwards. I probably would take my chances with Vey or Shinkaruk. While Bouwer is probably the best player on that list if I am Vegas i make teams give me something to take their regretful contracts so I probably can't afford his contract when I have a bunch of other bigger and worse ones

My breakdown of how I would draft is

5 bad contracts where the team pays me something to take that contract(but still quality NHLers)
10 quality NHLers
15 younger cheaper guys who are looking for their break

I would be open to drafting more quality NHLers if I can turn around and trade them for something though

soliak

Mar 26, 2013
Straya
Lazar could of easily had another goal(hit the post) and a few assists, too. He's been playing well, will definitely get protected in the expansion draft.

I see Vegas taking Brouwer as mentioned by others, with us probably giving them something to do so. Maybe we won't have to though...he is significantly better than anyone else we would expose, despite his crappy year with the Flames.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
As mentioned..NO

Curtis is a project that the Flames deem worth it, he was rushed and misused(no offense Ottawa fans)...he will be protected without a doubt.

And watching him play the last couple of games makes me think we should have gave up a 1st!

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Why is Stajan even being mentioned? There's literally no scenario in which he would be protected.

Flames list is 100% set

Forwards:
Gaudreau
Monahan
Bennett
Backlund
Frolik
Ferland
Lazar

Defense:
Giordano
D.Hamilton
Brodie

Goalie:
Elliott

Exposed:

if Vegas takes Brouwer, that would be a huge help.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I've been thrilled with what we've seen from Lazar so far. Such a fantastic attitude, he himself said that he knows he wouldn't get in the lineup right away when he got here since the team was clicking so we'll, and when he did get in the lineup he's worked his butt off and produced every time.

You don't see enough guys these days like him that look like they're loving every second of it out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad