Claimed off Waivers: [CGY] Flames claim F AJ Greer off waivers from the Bruins

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Good claim for the Flames. He has tenacity and a little bit of skill. However, he generally only shows the skill when he lets go and plays on instinct. When he doesn't, he does not play too well.

Last edited:

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
For those interested, this cost Calgary $13,125, paid to Boston and not counted against the cap.

Season total: $466,875
10 claims
What is the basis for this cost? This is the first I've ever heard of teams having to pay other teams for claiming their waiver players.

Good claim for Calgary though. I liked Greer last year. Had a couple nice goals and was willing to fight. Brought energy. Solid 4th line guy.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
What is the basis for this cost? This is the first I've ever heard of teams having to pay other teams for claiming their waiver players.

Good claim for Calgary though. I liked Greer last year. Had a couple nice goals and was willing to fight. Brought energy. Solid 4th line guy.
Waiver prices are based on the player's position (skater vs goalie) and their years of pro experience.

It's essentially a compensation for the original team "developing" the player.
Young, inexperienced players cost more.
A long experienced vet costs less - the idea essentially being, they've had a lot more time to develop, so if they're being waived still, they have less "value"

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm ok with this pick up. I'm not sure who the Flames will waive now. Hunt?
No one. Klapka, Schwindt a d Solovyov were demoted this morning and this gives us 22 healthy bodies.

My guess is Pelletier goes on SOIR, while Rooney goes on LTIR immediately, and Kylington goes on it later.

Not a terrible pickup. Be prepared for no finish though.
Why would people expect finish from a 4th liner?

He'll be playing with so e combination of Ruzicka, Duehr and Hunt. Probably splitting time with Hunt

Reactions: Boomstick

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
i thought they were gonna claim JAD from LA but Greer ain’t bad. He just has a shelf life of 10-15 games.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
No one. Klapka, Schwindt a d Solovyov were demoted this morning and this gives us 22 healthy bodies.

My guess is Pelletier goes on SOIR, while Rooney goes on LTIR immediately, and Kylington goes on it later.

Why would people expect finish from a 4th liner?

He'll be playing with so e combination of Ruzicka, Duehr and Hunt. Probably splitting time with Hunt

Not saying that he would score dozens of goal. Just taht, when he has a good chance, he will probably flub it. Kind of frustrating overall, but good defence guy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Loved how much he understood how to become beloved by the local fans (kissing his spoked B when scoring a goal, etc)…but just not good enough to be more than 12/13th forward and he was redundant with Lucic as 4th line winger who doesn’t play special teams and can fight.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Basically a Lucic for Greer trade

Good claim for Calgary’s 4th line/press box. He earned his spot on a really good team last year.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Loved how much he understood how to become beloved by the local fans (kissing his spoked B when scoring a goal, etc)…but just not good enough to be more than 12/13th forward and he was redundant with Lucic as 4th line winger who doesn’t play special teams and can fight.

also realized he really needed to go all in on the being a physical force/fighter to stay in the nhl

not saying he wasnt before, but really amped it up when he realized he wasnt going to be an offensive top 9er

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma

a.k.a. pandering. I pointed it out in the GDT when it happened.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
He was a perfect 13th forward... Bruins just have other players that need to be on the roster, and Greer, while solid, was completely expendable.

Like you said, he doesnt play special teams, and and while he played relatively tough, he wasn't a great fighter, so his role has been surpassed.

Solid add for a team that needs this spot filled.

Reactions: JoeIsAStud

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad