Proposal: CGY - FLA

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
to CGY: Connolly, Borgstrom
to FLA: Bennett

The Flames need a scoring RW, and Connolly can pot ~20 goals for a reasonable AAV. Panthers need another center and are looking to add players like Bennett at the expense of finesse guys like Connolly.
Calgary gets Borgstrom for their troubles. He's a complete question mark at this point, but he's still in his early 20s, has a lot of skill, and has spent several years now playing Center against men.

Borgstrom is an RFA, but Calgary will end up taking on fewer than $2m with this deal. That extra cash gives the Panthers the breathing room they need to comfortably sign both Hoffman and Weegar.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
We don't have the cap space.

If we fill out our roster to have 13 F, 7 D and 2 goalies with who we have under contract, Kylington at 900K and Mangiapane at 2.5 million (our two RFA's) we're right snug against the cap.
If you sign those two, do this trade, re-sign Borg at 800k, and send Domingue down, you'll still have 11F, 6D, and 2G with ~$1.3m leftover. If you opt to send Rittich down instead, it will be like $1.7m

I think a lot of teams aren't gonna be able to roll with 22 players on the roster at all times this year.

What are Calgary's plans then to shore up the wing? I thought you guys wanted to be on Toffoli, Hoffman even Hall.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If you sign those two, do this trade, re-sign Borg at 800k, and send Domingue down, you'll still have 11F, 6D, and 2G with ~$1.3m leftover. If you opt to send Rittich down instead, it will be like $1.7m

I think a lot of teams aren't gonna be able to roll with 22 players on the roster at all times this year.

What are Calgary's plans then to shore up the wing? I thought you guys wanted to be on Toffoli, Hoffman even Hall.

The hope was to do that via trade I believe. We only really had the cap space for a goalie and a defenseman, both of which were more pressing needs.

I really would be surprised if we don't run a roster with extra's, especially if the season is condensed. The Flames historically have always carried the extra bodies, and Ward has liked to rotate them in when he can as well.

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.

If we run with 17 skaters on our roster, we’ll have 1.3m leftover? Seems legit. NHLPA, our players and coaches will be fine with us running below a full lineup so that we can acquire an overpriced 3rd line winger.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Connolly is a vet and he fits the flames roster like a glove, taking a gander at the flames roster I think something like this makes sense.

Flames: Bennett, 2021 1st.
Panthers: Connolly + 2nd.

looks pretty even to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
to CGY: Connolly, Borgstrom
to FLA: Bennett

The Flames need a scoring RW, and Connolly can pot ~20 goals for a reasonable AAV. Panthers need another center and are looking to add players like Bennett at the expense of finesse guys like Connolly.
Calgary gets Borgstrom for their troubles. He's a complete question mark at this point, but he's still in his early 20s, has a lot of skill, and has spent several years now playing Center against men.

Borgstrom is an RFA, but Calgary will end up taking on fewer than $2m with this deal. That extra cash gives the Panthers the breathing room they need to comfortably sign both Hoffman and Weegar.

NTY for moving Bennett.

If both teams are trying to trade to shift cap, we aren't good trading partners.

But if FLA wants to bolster their roster, I think it might be worthwhile to exploring the concept of trading Ryan to you guys. We probably shouldn't move Ryan, but there's considerations that the cap space would be very welcomed for other deals.

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How about you make a thread about Connolly to Oilers if you really like him so much
It doesn’t work like that. There are unique variables for each team and their needs. Brett is a good player and great fit for the flames. Oilers have their wingers figured out for now.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Connolly is a vet and he fits the flames roster like a glove, taking a gander at the flames roster I think something like this makes sense.

Flames: Bennett, 2021 1st.
Panthers: Connolly + 2nd.

looks pretty even to me.
tenor.gif

Oilers Propagandist

Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Are you referring to that legendary Oilers depth at W in the last 1-2 seasons
If you were living under a rock, sure. Winger position was a glaring weakness for years and everyone knew it, it is fixed now. Now instead of trying to veer this thread off topic you should try to bring it back.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
If you were living under a rock, sure. Winger position was a glaring weakness for years and everyone knew it, it is fixed now. Now instead of trying to veer this thread off topic you should try to bring it back.

So please post Oilers lineup currently and where you think Connolly would fit skillwise

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

Would be easier to believe you if you didn't go into every thread about the Flames you know.

Reactions: Kahvi

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If we run with 17 skaters on our roster, we’ll have 1.3m leftover? Seems legit. NHLPA, our players and coaches will be fine with us running below a full lineup so that we can acquire an overpriced 3rd line winger.
$1.3m is enough leftover to add a good bottom 6er and roll 18 skaters. $1.7m is enough to add a good bottom 6er plus a plug to be healthy scratched and roll 19 skaters. I would be shocked if there aren't multiple teams this year traveling with only 21 players total.

And Connolly really isn't overpriced. He has paced for 19.5 goals over 82 games for the past four seasons, and each of those years his production per game has increased. While playing both sides, he has maintained a sky high shooting % and scores disproportionately 5v5. For $3.5m, I think that's pretty fair. It's just that the Panthers are prepping for a season with too many third wheels in the top 9 (Wennberg, Hornqvist, Connolly, Vatrano, Saarela...) and we need to move one of them for a guy who can actually drive a line.

TL;DR I respect your refusal, but I don't think you're dismissiveness lines up with my proposal's merit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad