Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Sam Morton signs with the Flames (1 year, $870k, two-way; begins 2024-25)

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

giphy.gif

Reactions: Morrison

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's not the stupidest of mistakes, as the non-North American players get signed on ELCs until they're 27. It's actually a bit weird how the treatment of NA and non-NA players differ in the CBA.

I assume the problem was some kind of performance/games played bonus allowed only for ELC guys (and 35+/injured returnees), because other than that I don't think any term should cause an issue.

Reactions: uncleben

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

League also rejected the Sharks original contract with Mikkel Boedker due to the 35% variance rule that most people (including myself and apparently his agent+SJ) didn't know existed. Over the life of the contract, the year to year amount can't vary by more than 35% of the highest salaried year.

Boedker's original deal was 4 years for 16 million at 5 mil - 5 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. The contract could only vary by 1.75 million (35% of 5 million), so the year 2 to 3 gap was more than was permitted. They redid the deal to be 5.2 mil - 4.8 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. 35% of 5.2 mil allowed for a change of up to 1.82 million.
This is stuff that any team signing a front-loaded multi-year contract should be well aware of. The CBA Paragraph in question goes quite into the details with examples. One can go and see for example Matthews' contracts to find out how they really optimize the front-loadingity when they want to. Really driving against the speed limiter there.

Reactions: uncleben

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Well entering his date of birth and date of the contract would have avoided this cock up.

Where do I send my invoice?

He's 24 now, with a July birthday. They probably failed to notice that he's considered to be 25 for the ELC purposes (his age on September 15 of the calendar year of his signing). The simplest of spreadsheets wouldn't have caught that.

Last edited:

Hawkeye8

Aug 2, 2002
San Pablo, CA
Great to see for him. He played Peewee on a team I was coaching with. You just never know where people will end up in the future.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
He's 24 now, with a July birthday. They probably failed to notice that he's considered to be 25 for the ELC purposes (his age on September 15 of the calendar year of his signing). The simplest of spreadsheets wouldn't have caught that.
A slightly more advanced spreadsheet would

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
A slightly more advanced spreadsheet would
I wish the spreadsheet people would post their applicable spreadsheets instead of idle chit-chat.

I wouldn't think it is too complicated a formula that would calculate the player's age on Sept 15 on the year of the signing. But I want to see someone else to do the work.

And then we post it to Calgary.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Bad look for the team and the agent, oof.
Not necessarily to the agent. His job is to get his client signed. Let the team sign his client to an invalid ELC, and then fix the SPC into a non-ELC when they can't honorably back out from contracting.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I wish the spreadsheet people would post their applicable spreadsheets instead of idle chit-chat.

I wouldn't think it is too complicated a formula that would calculate the player's age on Sept 15 on the year of the signing. But I want to see someone else to do the work.

And then we post it to Calgary.
It’s easy, but if Calgary wants it, they gotta pay me ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lempo

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Two games played, two points recorded. A primary assist in game 1 and his first pro goal coming last night.

Not a bad start to his pro career.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Two games played, two points recorded. A primary assist in game 1 and his first pro goal coming last night.

Not a bad start to his pro career.
to add to this, he's being used on the Wrangler's top line as well.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad