Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Sam Morton signs with the Flames (1 year, $870k, two-way; begins 2024-25)

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So the last two times a team submitted a contract and they were denied, the NHL then penalized the team (NJD-Kovalchuk and TOR-Frogren) ***Self fact-check: NHL more recently rejected a SEA-Grubauer contract and didn't penalize them

Personally, I think it's stupid; Central Registry is specifically there to review contracts and say 'yes' or 'no', so to say, "no, and f*** you for making us do our job, here's your fine" is pretty dumb BUT I'm curious, with that understanding, if Calgary will be fined for this

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Good signing by the Flames. We will see if it works out or not. The player played for former Flames scout and assistant coach with the Stockton Heat in Minnesota State.

Has one degree and is working on his Masters.

Reactions: Mitts

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
1287368.jpg

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So the last two times a team submitted a contract and they were denied, the NHL then penalized the team (NJD-Kovalchuk and TOR-Frogren) ***Self fact-check: NHL more recently rejected a SEA-Grubauer contract and didn't penalize them

Personally, I think it's stupid; Central Registry is specifically there to review contracts and say 'yes' or 'no', so to say, "no, and f*** you for making us do our job, here's your fine" is pretty dumb BUT I'm curious, with that understanding, if Calgary will be fined for this

League also rejected the Sharks original contract with Mikkel Boedker due to the 35% variance rule that most people (including myself and apparently his agent+SJ) didn't know existed. Over the life of the contract, the year to year amount can't vary by more than 35% of the highest salaried year.

Boedker's original deal was 4 years for 16 million at 5 mil - 5 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. The contract could only vary by 1.75 million (35% of 5 million), so the year 2 to 3 gap was more than was permitted. They redid the deal to be 5.2 mil - 4.8 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. 35% of 5.2 mil allowed for a change of up to 1.82 million.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021
Why is it never about the competency of the agent that had their client sign an invalid contract?
There is a post a few before yours that addresses that

Generally though, the party who drafts the contract (employer) is seen as having more responsibility for its terms

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Teams must be lining up for your services, tell us more about this basic spreadsheet you've got going.
Pretty easy to set one up. Would take maybe 15 minutes, depending on the rule checks it has. It could then automatically display whether the contract is acceptable or not acceptable, and could have individual rule checks as well to show which one it doesn't fulfill.

Why are you pretending it's some alien technology that no one could possibly be capable of?

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

League also rejected the Sharks original contract with Mikkel Boedker due to the 35% variance rule that most people (including myself and apparently his agent+SJ) didn't know existed. Over the life of the contract, the year to year amount can't vary by more than 35% of the highest salaried year.

Boedker's original deal was 4 years for 16 million at 5 mil - 5 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. The contract could only vary by 1.75 million (35% of 5 million), so the year 2 to 3 gap was more than was permitted. They redid the deal to be 5.2 mil - 4.8 mil - 3 mil - 3 mil. 35% of 5.2 mil allowed for a change of up to 1.82 million.
and these are just the cases we hear about, I'm not naïve enough to think we even hear about half the rejected contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad