Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] F Nazem Kadri signs with the Flames (7 years, $7M AAV)

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Knew they were interested in him from the time he was in Toronto and had a deal in place for Brodie which Kadri eventually nixed.

I like this for Calgary. Good for them!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Another guy was out too…
He also forgot Monahan - sounds like signing him and moving Kadri is all happening together. Gudbranson gone too, and Jarnkrok, though that's pretty expected as he was a rental. So the significant movements are more like:

Out: Tkachuk, Gaudreau, Monahan, Gudbranson, Jarnkrok
In: Huberdeau, Kadri, Weegar

(and of course more minor depth things, like Stone out, Rooney in, etc.)

I think short term, they're about as good as before, maybe even a bit better. Long term, Huberdeau's 8 year $10.5 mil AAV will almost certain become an albatross deal - he's 29, 30 when the deal starts. I assume Kadri is getting a huge, long contract too, that will also almost certain become an albatross deal (he's 31). Not sure if they'll re-sign Weegar, but if they do sign him to a big, long term contract, same. But hey, we're probably looking at:
- Next few years: cup contenders
- Few years after that: mediocre with little cap flexibility
- Few years after that: bad with little cap flexibility

But for a few years of contention, these contracts could be worth it. And obviously they were in a tough place with Gaudreau leaving for nothing, and Tkachuk wanting out, they really had to choose "rebuild" or "mortgage the future to contend now", and "mortgage the future to contend now" is a perfectly reasonably choice.

Last edited:

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Brilliant move for Calgary.

Lou gets what he deserves for playing hard ball with all GMs it seems
Are we certain that Lou was even in on this? He had a couple of opportunities to offload salary before cap space became super valuable and it didn’t happen. Then everyone assumed he would give up a first rounder to make this work. What if everyone was wrong here?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Makes sense when you think about it. We all know Lou is a TOP SECRET GM, so it never made sense that Kadri signing would leak. That goes against his MO. The real classified Lou information was that he was secretly going to do NOTHING AT ALL.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Big question now is, are they better off with the moves?
I don't think so when it comes to offense, because even if they kept Tkachuk and Gaudreau, they probably would have been worse than last season. These two had, along with Lindholm, what is most likely a career year, and together, the three had some bonkers on-ice results that would have been very unlikely to repeat.

Defensively, Weegar is definitely a huge add.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Called this a couple weeks ago, even before the Huberdeau trade.

Hard to sell a rebuild to the fans so may as well try your best to compete.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Big question now is, are they better off with the moves?
Offense took a hit, Chucky is better than Kadri for sure, probably a 10g difference there at least. Hub and Johnny is a wash, personally like Hub better on that contract. Flames upgraded their defense, one of the best if not the best in the league now. Question is will some players like Dube step up and fill the offensive void or not. Overall I think they are as good or better than last year, just wont score as much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad