Confirmed Trade: [CGY/EDM] James Neal for Milan Lucic (12.5% retained) and a 2020 conditional 3rd round pick Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
Lol.

It's clearly the Oilers fans who've turned heal here. I have yet to see any fans fan describe Neal as anything but a horrible overpriced winger, both before and after the trade. After the trade the consensus is this was a garbage in garbage out trade, but hopefully the Flames are getting badly needed physical play.

Meanwhile, Oilers fans, despite previously describing Neal as garbage, are acting like they've won the lottery.

Here, I brought up a few examples for you from someone familiar:
EDIT: duplicated attachments
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
After 1 more season and paying Lucic signing bonus on July 1 st 2020 Lucic is only owed 10 mill ( real $) over the final 3 years of his contract (of that 10 million owed Edmonton is paying 1.8 mill in retention). With some further retention by Calgary for Cap reasons .... that 8.2 million in real $s over 3 years is a movable contract.

That's pretty debatable. Lucic has a NMC.

A playoff team isn't going to want him, and I seriously doubt Lucic waives to go play on a bottom feeder to end his career.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
People need to get over this ridiculous obsession. There doesn't have to be a ****ing winner and loser on every trade that happens. Good lord, it's the most petty, inane thing I've ever seen.

Does not to have a winner and a loser...... hmmmm let’s just not keep score in the hockey games next year as well....... let’s just pay $200 for our seat at the game to watch the players skate around the ice.... As long as the players are having fun

This is real life there are winners and losers!

If you read my post..... I am saying it’s about $ and cap hit when dealing with 2 players that suddenly went to crap.

If Lucic can play decent 4 Th line minutes he will be movable at 8.2 mill real $’s retained another 33% by Calgary over his last 3 years.

Vancouver would likely take Lucic 1.8 mill real $s over his last 3 years of his contract

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Does not to have a winner and a loser...... hmmmm let’s just not keep score in the hockey games next year as well....... let’s just pay $200 for our seat at the game to watch the players skate around the ice.... As long as the players are having fun

If you read my post..... I am saying it’s about $ and cap hit when dealing with 2 players that suddenly went to crap.

If Lucic can play decent 4 Th line minutes he will be movable at 8.2 mill real $’s retained another 33% by Calgary over his last 3 years.

Vancouver would likely take Lucic 1.8 mill real $s over his last 3 years of his contract

Vancouver will want a 4th liner with a caphit of $3.5 million?

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

:laugh:

says who???

this is seriously getting hilarious

Schred

Sep 6, 2017
Also, you know you have jack all when you have to go into the pissing match route. Yeah, Oilers might not make the playoffs, but at least they won’t **** the bed like the Flames do on a yearly basis.

Thanks man, this gave me a good chuckle. :laugh:

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010

your own words:
6.png

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
These posts look edited, or taken out of context. :sarcasm:
I guess every little appearance of victory is important when the victories are few and far between and the future still looks dismal.

Enjoy your gloating and being able to say: "Ha Ha! There! See... you did change your opinion about a player! Here's proof!"

Small victories can be important to an unhappy fan base.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
That’s a bad take...... I agree that Neal is the better player and has the best shot btw the two of having a bounce back next season.

But from Calgary GM perspective..... He screwed up in signing Neal as he did not fit with Calgary at all. Neal has 23 mill left over the next four years...... if he buys him out that’s 16 mill wasted and a 8 year reminder of 2 mill dead cap space.

by taking Lucic...... that 23 mill total cost over 4 years is reduced to 14 mill. and cap hit reduced by 500 k.

After 1 more season and paying Lucic signing bonus on July 1 st 2020 Lucic is only owed 10 mill ( real $) over the final 3 years of his contract (of that 10 million owed Edmonton is paying 1.8 mill in retention). With some further retention by Calgary for Cap reasons .... that 8.2 million in real $s over 3 years is a movable contract.

Edmonton on the other hand is spending their new arena $ like drunken sailors. They have taken on 4 years @ 5.75 mill plus paid this years 3 mill signing bonus of Lucic and $750 k per year of Lucic contract for the remainder of his contract........ for a grand total of $28.5mill.

So who won this trade of 2 recently signed UFAs that are no longer wanted by their teams.... hmmm

Edmonton on the hook for $28.5 mill for 4 years of Neal....that may have the same trade value next year....

Calgary on the hook for 14 million.... with an asset that after July 1 st 3 mill bonus payout next summer may be more movable....

Whoever got the better player with the higher percentage change of rebounding won the trade. To add to this, Looch is a pylon who can barely skate. This is really bad for Calgary. They won't be able to move him after this season.

Reactions: cpsman

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
I guess every little appearance of victory is important when the victories are few and far between and the future still looks dismal.

Enjoy your gloating and being able to say: "Ha Ha! There! See... you did change your opinion about a player! Here's proof!"

Yes, you adequately identified that Oilers fans are unhappy with the poor results over the last several years. Congratulations.
This trade is also perceived as a small victory for us too, and has the potential to be a big victory.

Why wouldn't we point out Flames fans doing 180s when they've been claiming they haven't been? A lot of us actually use logic and evidence to back up our arguments because isn't that what you are supposed to do? :huh:

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Here, I brought up a few examples for you from someone familiar:
EDIT: duplicated attachments
View attachment 252485 View attachment 252487 View attachment 252489 View attachment 252491 View attachment 252493
We've been through this. There are also multiple posts where I describe Neal as one of the worst contracts in the league, and yes I still think Neal is better than Eriksson.

Neal is still an NHL level player, not counting his playoff performance. At 2.5, he wouldn't be a problem. The Oilers are paying 6.5 million for him, even you factor in retention.

Do you see for that's bad?

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

Actually, I am enjoying it, because it’s proven how you and the other dude completely flipped since Lucic is a Flame.

I also am enjoying how you’re trying so hard to avoid it by putting these pathetic little fanbase jabs. Nobody is taking the bait though.

Even better? You’re the one who bumped the thread to pump Lucic’s tires!

Last edited:

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
We've been through this. There are also multiple posts where I describe Neal as one of the worst contracts in the league, and yes I still think Neal is better than Eriksson.

Neal is still an NHL level player, not counting his playoff performance. At 2.5, he wouldn't be a problem. The Oilers are paying 6.5 million for him, even you factor in retention.

Do you see for that's bad?
Dude you've gotta stop backtracking. You've been backing up Neal haaaaard in the past. Sure you've admitted he's overpaid but don't be claiming you thought he was one of the worst contracts in the league. Your words speak for themselves and everyone reading them in this thread realizes that. No amount of backtracking will get you out of this situation. Just stop.

Soooo we are paying ~ 1 million more to convert from Lucic to Neal. That actually might be worth it if he pans out, which he may not.

Remember...the Oilers are only paying 6.5 M for him + Lucic unless they decide to buy him out, which is very easy and potentially worthwhile to do. Regardless how hard Flames fans keep ranting about how it's "2 M dollars of dead weight in a buy out!!!" it doesn't negate the fact that the actual savings are worth it as I've already delineated in previous posts in this thread.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Actually, I am enjoying it, because it’s proven how you and the other dude completely flipped since Lucic is a Flame.

I also am enjoying how you’re trying so hard to avoid it by putting these pathetic little fanbase jabs. Nobody is taking the bait though.

rotflmao.gif

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Lucic should not have even been dressed for a lot of games last year, even with that sh** bottom 6. That's how bad he was. If you think he will contribute down on the bottom, all the power to ya.
This isn’t true. Lucic legitimately finished top 6 in scoring among all Oiler forwards while playing bottom 6 minutes. He might be overpaid by a mile, but he’s still a useful player on the ice. It’s the value that was the problem for Oiler fans.

I won’t lie, I think Holland did a good job on the trade, better than I expected. But I’ve been around here long enough to see this song and dance before. I saw it with Justin Schultz, I saw it with Jordan Eberle, I saw it with Ryan Strome, Devan Dubnyk and etc.

Those guys were all railroaded out of town and now they’ve all figured out a way to become significant contributors on their team and I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Lucic was able to achieve the same thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

The problem is posters such as your self are either intentionally ignoring or simply incapable of understanding the simple fact no one has high expectations for Lucic or is pumping his tires. We are simply saying he's better for us than Neal, who IMO was one of the worst players in the history of our franchise.

And yes, many of us, myself included kept defending Neal thinking he would turn it around, thinking it must be an injury, then the playoffs came and so did reality. Neal didn't give a shit, he provided no effort at the most important time of year.

Maybe I can put this into perspective an Oilers fan might understand. You know how the Oilers were the biggest laughing stock of the NHL for the better part of the last decade, until Melnyk and the Senators took that crown? Well, Lucic is the Oilers and Neal is the Senators.

and as much as I hate Rubi, all he did when bumping this thread was post an article that gave our coaches thoughts, it was hardly to pump anyones tires/

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Lunatik ... You hate me?
I don't hate you. I may disagree with some of the things you say or the way you say it, but I don't hate you. Hate is such a strong emotion.

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
The problem is posters such as your self are either intentionally ignoring or simply incapable of understanding the simple fact no one has high expectations for Lucic or is pumping his tires. We are simply saying he's better for us than Neal, who IMO was one of the worst players in the history of our franchise.

And yes, many of us, myself included kept defending Neal thinking he would turn it around, thinking it must be an injury, then the playoffs came and so did reality. Neal didn't give a ****, he provided no effort at the most important time of year.

Maybe I can put this into perspective an Oilers fan might understand. You know how the Oilers were the biggest laughing stock of the NHL for the better part of the last decade, until Melnyk and the Senators took that crown? Well, Lucic is the Oilers and Neal is the Senators.

and as much as I hate Rubi, all he did when bumping this thread was post an article that gave our coaches thoughts, it was hardly to pump anyones tires/
I'm just glad you acknowledged this. Other Flames fans haven't.
Having Lucic may appear to be better for the Flames given they really had a falling out with Neal.
But Neal may prove to be better for the Oilers as well.

Might just be a decent outcome for both teams. Or... one will do a lot better than the other and we'll have to see.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
People need to get over this ridiculous obsession. There doesn't have to be a ****ing winner and loser on every trade that happens. Good lord, it's the most petty, inane thing I've ever seen.

You're surprised that sports fans - where its all about winning and losing - are "obsessed" with winning and losing while talking about things to do with their sports teams?

What a shocker. Who could have seen that coming?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm just glad you acknowledged this. Other Flames fans haven't.
Having Lucic may appear to be better for the Flames given they really had a falling out with Neal.
But Neal may prove to be better for the Oilers as well.

Might just be a decent outcome for both teams.
Or... one will do a lot better than the other and we'll have to see.
Which I have also stated multiple times. Honestly, what Neal does with the Oilers and Lucic does as a Flame, should be completely irrelevant to the fans of their previous teams. All that matters in a trade is improving your team and we all know that neither Neal nor Lucic were going to improve in the situations they were in, so this should be seen as a positive for both at this point in time as both appear to be a better fit on paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad