Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D MacKenzie Weegar signs extension with the Flames (8 years, $6.25M AAV)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I never said that, I literally said he was overpaid...and if you think Weegar was playing tougher minutes then Ekblad...you're delusional
LOL... Weegar and Ekblad played together for 923 5v5 minutes last year. They saw the same players at the same time.
did you watch the final seconds of Game 2 against the Lightning with Weegar on the ice?
Yes... by all means... define a players abilities based on a few seconds of play. LOL
Talk about small sample sizes.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I never said that, I literally said he was overpaid...and if you think Weegar was playing tougher minutes then Ekblad...you're delusional

did you watch the final seconds of Game 2 against the Lightning with Weegar on the ice?

Weegar was Ekblad’s partner and Ekblad missed 21 games.

So it’s reasonable to conclude Weegar played minutes as tough or Harder than Ekblad.

It’s also entirely reasonable for the 2x defending champs to make a defenseman look like a fool. That’s why they’re Lightning - they do it to everyone.

You learn, you get better. That’s the game.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Weegar makes Hanifin expendable. It's actually hilarious what everyone argues about on here, bunch of stat munchers. Watch the guy play, He's a stud.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Weegar makes Hanifin expendable. It's actually hilarious what everyone argues about on here, bunch of stat munchers. Watch the guy play, He's a stud.

Hanifin is only expendable if you think that Kylington is a top-4 defenseman. It has nothing to do with Weegar, who's clearly a top-pairing guy that can play both sides of the rink with the sort of ease that few defensemen can actually pull off.

Reactions: Flamesgod

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Ya bye bye Kylington. With Weegar here and Stone impressing, I think the Flames package Kylington for a top 6 winger. Kylington was carried by Tanev last year. Without Tanev, Kylington is a dime a dozen dman who has top 4 potential but he's not there yet.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Weegar did play tougher minutes than Ekblad. You're aware they track this stuff right and that Weegar was actually better away from Ekblad?

Ya bye bye Kylington. With Weegar here and Stone impressing, I think the Flames package Kylington for a top 6 winger. Kylington was carried by Tanev last year. Without Tanev, Kylington is a dime a dozen dman who has top 4 potential but he's not there yet.
This is so, so wrong. You trade Hanifin and bring in a top 6 RW. Toffoli playing with those 2 and Lewis dumping every puck into the corner are our roster holes right now.

Ledge And Dairy

Weegar did play tougher minutes than Ekblad. You're aware they track this stuff right and that Weegar was actually better away from Ekblad?

This is so, so wrong. You trade Hanifin and bring in a top 6 RW. Toffoli playing with those 2 and Lewis dumping every puck into the corner are our roster holes right now.
Completely disagree, Hanifin is quite a bit better than Kylington and should 100% be kept. Moving him out would be like when people kept saying Carolina should trade Pesce for a top 6 winger.

On the other hand Kylington actually has a lot of trade value due to his very low cap hit and multiple years of term. Whereas any team that wpuld be interested in Hanifin would have a mich harder time fitting him under the cap

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Very early but 6.25 looks like a bargain.

Kylington should be labeled Do Not Trade. He is the fastest player in the organization. I would play him at wing before trading him for some schmuck.

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Kylington should be labeled Do Not Trade. He is the fastest player in the organization. I would play him at wing before trading him for some schmuck.
I honestly can't figure out why having one of if not the best defense is not the best strategy. If you want another top 6 winger give Pelletier or Phillips a look.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I honestly can't figure out why having one of if not the best defense is not the best strategy. If you want another top 6 winger give Pelletier or Phillips a look.
Yup keep the best defense and look for a cheap winger using magic beans aka draft picks

Btw, you should know Pelletier is not ready and Phillips is not NHL material.

Ledge And Dairy

Yup keep the best defense and look for a cheap winger using magic beans aka draft picks

Btw, you should know Pelletier is not ready and Phillips is not NHL material.
We'll see. Calgary will almost certainly have more injuries this year than last and someone will get a call up. Right now I think Zary will get the first call among forwards and could very possibly land himself a full time spot on the Backlund line when he does

Reactions: Nanuuk and DFF

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

This contract will be a great deal for the Flames for the entire duration of their contention window. Don't let salty Cats fans say otherwise. Weegar is a really solid player. He has his wrinkles, but all players do. He generally knows his limitations and plays within them.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This contract will be a great deal for the Flames for the entire duration of their contention window. Don't let salty Cats fans say otherwise. Weegar is a really solid player. He has his wrinkles, but all players do. He generally knows his limitations and plays within them.
Except in playoffs. That’s where he needs to show he’s progressed. He’s been a massive net negative in the last 2 and hurt the team.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Does Boeser for Hanifin as a base interest you?
It's interesting. The health fragility of Boeser is what scares me.

Completely disagree, Hanifin is quite a bit better than Kylington and should 100% be kept. Moving him out would be like when people kept saying Carolina should trade Pesce for a top 6 winger.

On the other hand Kylington actually has a lot of trade value due to his very low cap hit and multiple years of term. Whereas any team that wpuld be interested in Hanifin would have a mich harder time fitting him under the cap
Hanifin is better than Kylington. But that cap hit is exactly why he should be the one we move. You can't fit a top line winger without it.

I'm saying a trade like Hanifin for a guy who is top line winger, not just dumping him to dump him.

Ledge And Dairy

Hanifin is better than Kylington. But that cap hit is exactly why he should be the one we move. You can't fit a top line winger without it.

I'm saying a trade like Hanifin for a guy who is top line winger, not just dumping him to dump him.
As a rental sure we can, Calgary is in position to have quite a bit of TDL cap space right now. We have to promote the young guys eventually and unless he's traded Coronato should be viewed as close to a walk on for next year. He looks that close to NHL ready right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad