Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D MacKenzie Weegar signs extension with the Flames (8 years, $6.25M AAV)

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
So because Josi was fine it means Weegar will be if he gets a strong headshot again?
I get most athletes/hockey players are potentially one hit away from early retirement but not sure the Josi comment has any merit here.
It is situational. Some individuals recover from the concussions better than some do. I've been literally out of this world 4 times in my life because of massive hits to my head, but never had any symptoms after these incidents. You have a very talented young Dman in Colorado, who had to question his career as a hockey player after basically one bad hit. And he is better than ever now.

Then you have the sad cases like Eric Lindros and several old school enforcers. You can't generalize this issue. I'm pretty certain that Weegar will be just fine and he is (unfortunately) a very good addition to Flames.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Flames trading Tanev would be a huge mistake. Especially since he’s literally the perfect partner for Weegar and he’s going to make Weegar that much better. I’d even go as far as saying that Tanev is untouchable on the Flames. He’s the glue that holds the Flames blueline together. Flames suffered miserably last playoffs when Tanev wasn’t anywhere near 100%. The Flames blueline was a complete mess.
The entire Calgary defense core falls apart without Tanev. I agree, trading him would be a monumental mistake.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
It is situational. Some individuals recover from the concussions better than some do. I've been literally out of this world 4 times in my life because of massive hits to my head, but never had any symptoms after these incidents. You have a very talented young Dman in Colorado, who had to question his career as a hockey player after basically one bad hit. And he is better than ever now.

Then you have the sad cases like Eric Lindros and several old school enforcers. You can't generalize this issue. I'm pretty certain that Weegar will be just fine and he is (unfortunately) a very good addition to Flames.

That's a fair post and have had many myself which I suffer after effects from with bright florescent lights, damp rainy days/pressure drops etc

To add on to Weegar, he plays a fairly physical style which he may not be able to maintain.
I wasn't generalizing it, just making notes on a player who is nearing 30 with head injuries and a taxing style of play.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Trust me you will be surprised when your lowest playing puck carrying D is doing that

Oh.. and when it matters most
More surprising then your "playoff style" forward willing sending himself to the box in a trade off for the either teams #3 D men for an entire series I think not

HighLifeManIsHigh

McDave is a loser lol
Feb 27, 2006
I’m all for dealing Hanifin in a package for an elite top line winger who could take the Flames team over the top.

Hanifin + for a signed Pastrnak.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Pastrnak would be an unreal top line.
That would have to be a pretty big + for Boston to do that.
More surprising then your "playoff style" forward willing sending himself to the box in a trade off for the either teams #3 D men for an entire series I think not
Tkachuk also negated a Panthers power play tonight because he wouldn’t stop skating around and punching people in the face. Flames fans used to love that “heart” too, then we got sick of it. Panthers fans will too. The guy feels like he needs to create scrums after every whistle. He has a problem focusing on playing hockey

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Having Darryl doesnt change the fact that Calgary had an insanely low man games missed last year. Players will 100% need to be called up, and just like how both Mangiapane and Dube entered the league our current prospects will likely be given a chance at earning a full time spot. Right now we only have 1 extra forward in the lineup who is also one of those "young guys" Darryl tends to hesitate on. If 2+ forwards get hurt, sick, suspended, or whatever we have to call someone up and we don't have someone like Quine, Robinson, or Froese just sitting in the minors to call up instead. So in that case it is completely fair to say the players that impressed him at camp will get the first nod.

Slavin isn't even the best pure shutdown defensman on his own team. Don't confuse the role of top defensman and top shutdown defenseman. Don't get me wrong Slavin is very good defensively but as a pure shutdown role Tanev has been better overall the last 2 years
View attachment 594790
This chart is from 2 seasons ago (Larsson’s not an Oiler, Oleksiak’s not a Star, etc).

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley
I’m all for dealing Hanifin in a package for an elite top line winger who could take the Flames team over the top.

Hanifin + for a signed Pastrnak.

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Pastrnak would be an unreal top line.

Jesus. What do you think Hanifin is?

At least have the decency to go with ++…..

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
That would have to be a pretty big + for Boston to do that.

Tkachuk also negated a Panthers power play tonight because he wouldn’t stop skating around and punching people in the face. Flames fans used to love that “heart” too, then we got sick of it. Panthers fans will too. The guy feels like he needs to create scrums after every whistle. He has a problem focusing on playing hockey
While yes we are sure this will happen, this was not the case at all with his penalty. And so far he’s been focusing pretty damn good at playing hockey and getting the other team off their game.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
This is so, so wrong. You trade Hanifin and bring in a top 6 RW. Toffoli playing with those 2 and Lewis dumping every puck into the corner are our roster holes right now.

They’re not trading Hanifin, at least not this year. They may have to, but with the cap rumoured to be going up $4M next year, and definitely hitting $100M in the next 5, I suspect they’ll be able to keep him.

They need an upgrade on Toffoli, sure - that’s what the trade deadline is for. Picks and prospects.

You shouldn’t spend a top-pair D to upgrade the guy who is, at best, the 6th best forward on the team.

That’s just math.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They’re not trading Hanifin, at least not this year. They may have to, but with the cap rumoured to be going up $4M next year, and definitely hitting $100M in the next 5, I suspect they’ll be able to keep him.

They need an upgrade on Toffoli, sure - that’s what the trade deadline is for. Picks and prospects.

You shouldn’t spend a top-pair D to upgrade the guy who is, at best, the 6th best forward on the team.

That’s just math.
Why shouldn't the Flames move Hanifin for a Nylander type? They still have 4 guaranteed top 4 defensemen. They have Mackey and Z who I think are trending that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad