Waived: [CGY] D Jordan Oesterle waived by the Flames (cleared)

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I don't know the larger story but he was extremely rough last night against Dallas.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
This was rumored to be happening. He has struggled lately.
He’s struggled his whole career.

I can’t understand how players like him keep staying around the NHL.

I get “needing” a 7th D you can stick in the press box half the time and not need to worry about them complaining, but why not try some different guys who haven’t really been given a shot in the NHL rather than putting a guy like Oesterle out who you KNOW is going to be a problem on the ice?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He’s struggled his whole career.

I can’t understand how players like him keep staying around the NHL.

I get “needing” a 7th D you can stick in the press box half the time and not need to worry about them complaining, but why not try some different guys who haven’t really been given a shot in the NHL rather than putting a guy like Oesterle out who you KNOW is going to be a problem on the ice?
Teams dont want young prospects sitting in the box. Jordan Oesterle is who he is, whether he sits or plays. You arent hurting his development. Let him munch on popcorn and call someone else up if the injury is more than a game.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Teams dont want young prospects sitting in the box. Jordan Oesterle is who he is, whether he sits or plays. You arent hurting his development. Let him munch on popcorn and call someone else up if the injury is more than a game.
I’m not really saying young prospects, but the 23-26yos who haven’t really been given a shot but have played very well in the AHL.

Worst case they don’t work out and you find ab Oesterle on waivers throughout the year

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't know the larger story but he was extremely rough last night against Dallas.
and that was one of his better games IMO

I really hope this means Solovyov is coming back up, he looked really good when Andersson was out

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s a good guy to have around as a 7th, but only to play in small stretches of games. The problem is, if you have a two month injury, you’d want to call up someone else to play those 20 games, and keep him as your 7th D.

You keep him around, so you don’t have a kid sitting in the press box instead.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Is this the room-changing move the Flames need though? This seems more like a 'tinkering' type move.
the move was to involve waivers, what did you expect? It was obviously going to be Oesterle or Vladar.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Edmonton Oilers legend!

Can’t believe he’s played 353 NHL games.

Is it still 400 games to be part of the NHLPA pension plan? If so, it sucks for him that he probably won’t make it.

After he left the Oilers, I didn’t think he would even come close to that many NHL games played. Brad Hunt is another one of those guys.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
the move was to involve waivers, what did you expect? It was obviously going to be Oesterle or Vladar.
I don't expect much anymore from the Flames but I've read elsewhere was that this move would shake up the room a bit. This doesn't seem to be that kind of move.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don't expect much anymore from the Flames but I've read elsewhere was that this move would shake up the room a bit. This doesn't seem to be that kind of move.
and yet you managed to expect too much

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Wings fans everywhere

Ideas_Surprised_Pikachu_HD.png

Bond

May 10, 2012
He looked really good for one preseason game and then looked like a replacement guy. Good on em for carving out an nhl career though.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
and yet you managed to expect too much
Expecting a management team to make changes to a group that helps reverse its direction is not too much. It's the minimum. If a management group is locked down and only able to fiddle around the edges the organization is in serious trouble.

If your toilet blows up and floods the bathroom you don't change the towels and walk away.

Last edited:

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I’m not really saying young prospects, but the 23-26yos who haven’t really been given a shot but have played very well in the AHL.

Worst case they don’t work out and you find ab Oesterle on waivers throughout the year
If they can’t beat out Oesterle in training camp, then they probably aren’t even worth the given shot.

Oesterle will always be a journeyman. He has had some few bright spots,and will make a nice play here and there, but more often then not, you can see why he’s never more than a 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Expecting a management team to make changes to a group that helps reverse its direction is not too much. It's the minimum. If a management group is locked down and only able to fiddle around the edges the organization is in serious trouble.

If your toilet blows up and floods the bathroom you don't change the towels and walk away.
My point is the suggested "shake up" involved waivers... So you expecting more than Oesterle or Vladar was completely nonsensical. Also you're taking the words of an insider as gospel... You should be smarter than that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad