Confirmed Signing with Link: [CGY] D Daniil Miromanov signs extension with the Flames (2 years, $1.25M AAV)

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The absolute best case scenario with Miromanov is a pump and dump. As in, play him a bunch over the next year or year and a half, then flip him for futures. Otherwise, the Flames are just gonna scare away more promising prospects like Brzustewicz from signing with them.

• Haha
Reactions: Haatley

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Daniil Miromanov doesn't seem entirely unschooled in the arts of playing defense as an NHL player, but injures have taken chunks of Miromanov‘s game play due to injury the last two seasons.

Miromanov is an interesting player, one who has switched from a forward to a defender as others have stated.

The determining factor in how much playing time he receives will be his ability to steadily improve in the defensive zone, it also wouldn’t hurt Daniil if he hit the weight room over the summer in order to gain more strength to endure the riggers of being an effective NHL defender.

At this time he’s considered an offensive defenseman that is a 3rd pairing defender at best but could see playing time as the Flames defense has been overhauled, hopefully Daniil can improve his game as he gains more experience.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It will surely be interesting to see how he is in Calgary.
I'm hopeful. Not basing this on anything but his drive to be a regular NHLer. He gets moved from RW to D ini his final year in Jr, goes undrafted, he even tries the ECHL before going back to Europe, has a good season for Sochi and earns an NHL contract, Vegas is happy enough to re-sign him and even give him some NHL time and he's impressed the Flames enough to sign him to a 2-year deal. That's a longer road than most.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Daniil Miromanov doesn't seem entirely unschooled in the arts of playing defense as an NHL player,
This is encouraging since he's only been a defender for about 6 season. He should have plenty of room to grow defensively if he's willing.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
This is encouraging since he's only been a defender for about 6 season. He should have plenty of room to grow defensively if he's willing.
Miromanov has good height for a defender and can skate with the puck, has a decent shot as well, but he is weak along the boards in puck battles and has defensive lapses from time to time.

Miromanov also seems sheltered with offensive zone starts at even strength.

Reactions: Lunatik

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I’m not sure why some are saying he has poor hockey sense. From my viewings of him, he is a good passer.

He was obviously stuck behind a deep Vegas defense. His injuries didn’t help him either. Given more ice time in Calgary, I think he is going to surprise some folks. I think he has upside to become a good #4 D who gets Pp time and puts up some decent numbers.

It’s therefore smart that Calgary quickly resigned him for cheap…

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I only know what I read about the guy, sounds like he could be fun to watch and I hope we plug him into the PP since it's f***ing terrible.

@hangman005 since you're the only VGK fan I can remember currently, can I ask your thoughts on Miro? Also do you know what his injury was that kept him out most of the season?
ACL surgery.

I thought he was passable, probably a bit more work on his gaps and positioning, but being stuck in the log jam of our D wouldn't have helped. He was actually willing to shoot on our powerplay.... probably why we traded him :laugh:

Reactions: Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Miromanov has good height for a defender and can skate with the puck, has a decent shot as well, but he is weak along the boards in puck battles and has defensive lapses from time to time.

Miromanov also seems sheltered with offensive zone starts at even strength.

I’m not sure why some are saying he has poor hockey sense. From my viewings of him, he is a good passer.

He was obviously stuck behind a deep Vegas defense. His injuries didn’t help him either. Given more ice time in Calgary, I think he is going to surprise some folks. I think he has upside to become a good #4 D who gets Pp time and puts up some decent numbers.

It’s therefore smart that Calgary quickly resigned him for cheap…

ACL surgery.

I thought he was passable, probably a bit more work on his gaps and positioning, but being stuck in the log jam of our D wouldn't have helped. He was actually willing to shoot on our powerplay.... probably why we traded him :laugh:
Really appreciate the info from you 3.

I went back and used AHL.tv to watch his shifts in his last game with the Silver Knights on his rehab stint and of course this is a tiny sample size, but I get the impression he's thinking too much in the defensive zone and second guessing himself, but with just 6 or so years on the blueline, that's not shocking. Hopefully he starts reacting naturally back there, and fortunately gaps and positioning are often things that improve with age and experience. Thankfully we also have a coach that has a rep of being excellent at developing defensemen.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Miromanov ends up being the next Andrei Markov, nobody will be complaining anymore about this trade.
Yeah and if Joel Hanley ends up being the next Cale Makar losing Martin St. Louis for nothing will be smart. I don't dislike the pickup, but in a Hanifin trade the prospect needed to be not a 26 year old project.

Not blaming Conroy, the market was what it was. I'm sure this is the best deal we could find. It's just a crappy return in a crappy situation.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
@Ace Rimmer posted this in the Hanifin trade thread. Since before the trade I didn't know a thing about Miramanov, this X post by Darren Haynes certainly makes me feel a lot better about the trade.
In Conroy I trust...

Reactions: DJJones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad