Confirmed Trade: [CGY/ARI]Mike Smith (25%) for Chad Johnson, Brandon Hickey & 2018 2nd or 3rd rnd pick

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Firmly believe Parsons is the future so these two years will just get us to that point. Hopefully he can be our answer to the Murray/Fleury situation we saw this year.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Firmly believe Parsons is the future so these two years will just get us to that point. Hopefully he can be our answer to the Murray/Fleury situation we saw this year.

It would be a miracle. I have been a Flames fan for 30 yrs and I cant remember the last goalie they drafted that became anything useful....Mike Vernon?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
How? Considering they cant sign Hickey, they didnt pay anything of significant.

Heck, I'll pay a 2nd for the playoff by itself... :laugh:

Now is you say Smith is the wrong goalie, then I wont argue too much but it's not a terrible trade.

Why couldn't they sign Hickey?

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What's the big deal? They needed a number 1 goaltender. Fleury is going to Vegas. This makes sense. People are acting like they signed him to 6x6

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
.914 to .910 overall, .924 to .919 at even strength. This is really not that fair a margin. It's the difference between an average NHL starter and a below average one. When I think of fair margin, I think of the difference between a good NHL starter and a below average one.

Over the past several years, Elliott has been better than Smith. Now I usually don't believe in the idea of system goaltenders, like 85% of the hockey fan community seems to believe, but if there's one goalie that can make me think twice about the possibility of it being such a thing, it's definitely Brian Elliott. As he's stunk pre and post Hitchcock, over his NHL career.

I think there's a reasonable chance that Elliott bounces back this season. I don't really expect Smith to be any better than a .915 goalie, give or take a few save percentage points. Over the past 6 years, he's generally been in the .915 range, with an extreme high of .930 in 11-12 and an extreme low of .904 in 14-15. Both are probably the exception at either end.

I think Calgary might have taken a chance on re-signing Elliott, as he looked to be returning to his 2011-2016 form towards the end of the season, but the playoff meltdown was probably the nail in his coffin.

Smith put up better numbers on a much worse team.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
I don't know that we need to be that dramatic. They paid a fair price for an asset that helps them. A 2nd round pick is certainly not nothing.

i think people over value picks and prospects on these boards, but yeah a 2nd Rd pick isnt nothing... Mike Smith will be a good vet to help Rittich, Gillies, or Parsons make the NHL transition, and for that reason i like the trade.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
It would be a miracle. I have been a Flames fan for 30 yrs and I cant remember the last goalie they drafted that became anything useful....Mike Vernon?
To be fair the team had 10 years of Kiprusoff to stonewall young goalies, during his era I think they only drafted one top goalie prospect with a high pick.

I see the pickup of Smith as an indication the team has full confidence in one of Gillies, Parsons, Rittich or McDonald stepping in very soon.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I don't know that we need to be that dramatic. They paid a fair price for an asset that helps them. A 2nd round pick is certainly not nothing.

I agree with you. Chances are Johnson will not sign with the yotes however and i'm not sure how good that propsect is

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
smith has 2 yrs left on his contract and maybe then he won't even retire. he's a good stop gap for parsons or gillies
I think people forget that Smith has so little mileage on him. Going back to the OHL, he has played fewer than 750 games. Someone like Marc-Andre Fleury, while a couple years younger, has played over 900 games.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I think people forget that Smith has so little mileage on him. Going back to the OHL, he has played fewer than 750 games. Someone like Marc-Andre Fleury, while a couple years younger, has played over 900 games.
Smith has only played in 87 of the Coyotes 162 games (53%) over the past 2 years, long-term injury both years. There's no evidence that, especially at age 35, it won't be an ongoing problem.

As a Coyote fan, I would have accepted a 7th Rd pick for Smith at 25% ret.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Smith has only played in 87 of the Coyotes 162 games (53%) over the past 2 years, long-term injury both years. There's no evidence that, especially at age 35, it won't be an ongoing problem.

As a Coyote fan, I would have accepted a 7th Rd pick for Smith at 25% ret.
There is also no evidence it will be an ongoing problem. 2 different injuries in 2 years doesn't equate to recurring.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
There is also no evidence it will be an ongoing problem. 2 different injuries in 2 years doesn't equate to recurring.

re cur - occur again, periodically or repeatedly

Two separate injuries in two years is the definition of recurring. You are right that it doesn't have to be an ongoing problem. But it should be cause for concern.

Get a good back-up Treliving.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
So which stop gap, band-aid solution will the Flames be searching for next offseason?

Whoever is cheapest. So far Treliving has spent a 2nd, a 3rd(hopefully a 2nd) and a B level prospect on C+ goaltending (Elliott, Smith). Cheaping out on goaltending doesn't seem so cheap to me.

Mike Smith is a good goalie. Just like Elliott. But for the Flames to take the next step they needed to get a great goalie. Really hoping for a great back up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad