Confirmed with Link: [CGY/ARI] Coyotes trade Troy Stecher & Nick Ritchie for Brett Ritchie & Connor Mackey

UK Yote

Jun 28, 2018
Stetcher was a really good kid who was improving each and every game. Disappointed we let him go.
No problem getting rid of Ritchie he added virtually nothing to this team but he could have taken O'Brien with him!!

Reactions: Summer Rose

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Stetcher was a really good kid who was improving each and every game. Disappointed we let him go.
No problem getting rid of Ritchie he added virtually nothing to this team but he could have taken O'Brien with him!!
Stecher is about to turn 29

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I don't understand this trade. What benefit is there to either Calgary or AZ in this trade enough to make it worth all the work of a trade?
Calgary is desperate for goal scoring. Nick Ritchie is streaky and due. Arizona traded their top pairing and both Stecher and Ritchie are on expiring deals. They wanted a defenseman with some team control. A younger one with some size that they liked as a college FA.

Calgary chose to waive Valimaki so they didn’t have to waive Mackey. That hasn’t turned out and I’m sure Sutter would rather have a cagey vet like Stecher. Arizona is hoping for a Valimaki-like resurgence from Mackey.

Meanwhile, Brett Ritchie is a warm body who offers effort, toughness, and character. As to help preserve the culture (in a very small way) as the team loses more and more (to improve draft position).

Arizona also saved like a million bucks or so in cash.

Stecher is 30. And the team may have promised him a trade to a playoff contender at the deadline when he signed here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Mackey was a ufa signing out of ncaa correct? Wasn’t he fairly well regarded at one point?
BA said his staff really liked him as a college FA. I what he didn’t say is that they got a tremendous free asset in Valimaki from this same team that doesn’t value or even respect young players. This could be part 2. Or it could be nothing (most likely). Either way, they save money and help the tank.

Reactions: Summer Rose

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
BA said his staff really liked him as a college FA. I what he didn’t say is that they got a tremendous free asset in Valimaki from this same team that doesn’t value or even respect young players. This could be part 2. Or it could be nothing (most likely). Either way, they save money and help the tank.
Doesn’t hurt that the top college free agent D this year goes to the same school as Mackay. I wonder if he was part of the recruiting?

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I guess Mackey and Kolyachonok will be battling for 6th defenseman status.
See the Coyotes carrying 8 D on their roster next season
Yep. Former teammate of Nathan Smith. Who’s a former teammate of Jake Livingstone. Maybe @Schemp will have his wildest dream come true.
He can get a few games in this season if Mankato doesn't get out of the regionals.
I value him as making up for the league stealing our 1st round pick 2 years ago. He would be our biggest free agent signing this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad